What has been your best drum score?

Mapex----Maniac

Tell the best deals you've gotten on drums or cymbals!
Mine was on my my
Mapex Saturn drum set bought on Craigslist (barley even used)
6 piece mango burst
22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5
14" a custom mastersound hats, 16" a custom crash, 18" a custom crash, K custom 20" ride
Gator soft cases for all drums and a cymbal bag
mapex bass pedal, mapex hi hat stand, 3x mapex boom stands

For the price of........................$1600!

Last edited:

alex19

and you paid??? vital part missing there hahaha. dont think ive ever got a MINT bargain on my drums really. i remember years ago getting a full set of sabian AA's (hats, ride, crash) brand new for 300 quid, which i thought was cheap.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
My Dad bought my first kit - a Frankenstein - for $100 in the mid-70s. It included a vintage snare with no branding. A drummer boyfriend of my older sister's thought it might be an old Premier, and may be valuable. I recently found out it's an old Drouyn and is worth around $400-500.

That Mapex was a super bargain. It would probably cost me more than that just for the cymbals.

Mapex----Maniac

My Dad bought my first kit - a Frankenstein - for $100 in the mid-70s. It included a vintage snare with no branding. A drummer boyfriend of my older sister's thought it might be an old Premier, and may be valuable. I recently found out it's an old Drouyn and is worth around $400-500.

That Mapex was a super bargain. It would probably cost me more than that just for the cymbals.
Gotta love craigslist!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My purple DWs.

I bid on them on Ebay. I lost the auction.

So I wrote the seller and said if the winner didn't come through with the money, I would still be interested.

Two weeks go bye, and the seller writes back that the buyer never paid, and he was in a hurry to off load the kit.

So he honored my last bid, and threw in free shipping, free shipping insurance, and even double boxed them because he so happy to finally get paid.

So I got them for $1600, which was roughly market value for them at the time, but with free shipping and everything, it made it a feel good bargain. Especially since there are so few purple with a wood grain kits in existence.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I was given an 8 piece Pearl Export and an old 50s Kay Archtop guitar last summer. Yes. Given.

Joey182

Silver Member
A custom 16" projection crash (zildjian)
A custom 16" Crash (zildjian)
K Crash/Ride 18" (Zildjian)
14" A Custom mastersound hats (zildjian)
18" Oriental china (ZIldjian)
I bought all of these from a garage sale for 200$. MINT condition. I sold them 2 months ago for 700$.

Mapex----Maniac

I bought all of these from a garage sale for 200$. MINT condition. I sold them 2 months ago for 700$.
WTH why would you sell these!!!!!!!!!!
You could have sold them for more 2!
I would have sold them for 850, oh wait I wouldn't sell them!!!!!!!! Aggggggghhhhhhh

Sorry about that :D
What did you use the money on?

ddrumman2004

I bought a used, 22" Zildjian A Ping Ride at a now closed, local music store for 40 bucks. The cymbal, other than dusty, was in excellent condition!
I scored a brand new, still in box, Ludwig Classic 5x14 maple snare in a nice WMP for 200 bucks off Ebay. It came with sticks, brushes and a Ludwig key. Nice snare for the money!

Joey182

Silver Member
WTH why would you sell these!!!!!!!!!!
You could have sold them for more 2!
I would have sold them for 850, oh wait I wouldn't sell them!!!!!!!! Aggggggghhhhhhh

Sorry about that :D
What did you use the money on?
with the money I bought:
16" Z Custom rock crash (Still in box)
19" Z Custom Medium crash (Still in box)
21" A Custom Medium ride
17" K China
12" K Splash
14" A Series New Beat Hats (Still in box)
With all new heads. (Remo Coated Ambassadors)

Mapex----Maniac

with the money I bought:
16" Z Custom rock crash (Still in box)
19" Z Custom Medium crash (Still in box)
21" A Custom Medium ride
17" K China
12" K Splash
14" A Series New Beat Hats (Still in box)
With all new heads. (Remo Coated Ambassadors)
Yeah that's pretty good, but I would have kept some of the A's instead of the Z's, they have a little too much attack for me

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I can't believe US prices. In Oz those prices would be ...

A custom crash = $430
18" K = $500
14" A Custom mastersound hats = $720
18" Oriental china = $490
Total = $2140

I was grateful to buy a 20" A med for $430 ... marked down from over $600.

Count your blessings ...

Joey182

Silver Member

A custom crash = $430
18" K = $500
Total = $2140

Count your blessings ...
Thats awful! I feel so bad....
The mastersound hats here are only 320$.
Where is OZ?

KONA

Silver Member
It's interesting to read about all the great deals - they're out there - you just have to be in the right place - at the right time (the right place seems to be mostly in the USA).

I live in Canada and most of the great deals on vintage drums are in the USA from what I can see. However, in the late summer of 2009 I was looking - only looking - at CL and saw an ad for 1960 Gretsch Drums. I could not believe what I was seeing because it was right here in my little old town in Nanaimo BC Canada! Not in Chicago, L.A. or New York...etc. etc. I did not need another drum set I had recently bought a new Gretsch kit (PWAM 6pc) and was very happy with it. But, this chance does not come along every day - at least here. I immediately emailed the seller - thinking they would be gone - and got a reply they were still available. I went over to the seller's home and discovered they were 3ply Gretsch - 20/12/14 with matching 5.5x14 snare in Gold Sparkle. Being 3ply they had to be 1958 or earlier.

I bought them - an 18.5 K Zildjian old stamp, 14" A Zildjian hats, Ludwig cymbal stand and a 16" Beverley crash (a low end cymbal made by Premier - and sounds great) WFL HiHat stand (1121 - same one Ringo used), SpeedKing (WFL footplate), and a set of maybe now the oldest NOMAD hardshell drum cases (the maker told me that) some sticks that had to be 40yrs old & a woodblock with mount -

all for $900.

Of course I spent some money restoring them because they were very neglected and some parts were missing....nothing major though. The finish is beautiful and was mostly just dirty.

HERE'S A BEFORE & AFTER

Attachments

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
1965 Ludwig Supra LM400.....FREE!! It was given to me by my old man. My first snare, I've played it for years and cherish it to this day.

A custom crash = $430
18" K = $500
Total = $2140

Count your blessings ...
Yep, we get flogged alright.

ebay Polly, ebay. Great deals to be had. . I got some Mastersounds recently for A$300....used, but look like they've barely been hit.

Where is OZ?
You're shittin' me, right?? :)

Joey182

Silver Member
1965 Ludwig Supra LM400.....FREE!! It was given to me by my old man. My first snare, I've played it for years and cherish it to this day.

Yep, we get flogged alright.

ebay Polly, ebay. Great deals to be had. . I got some Mastersounds recently for A$300....used, but look like they've barely been hit.

You're shittin' me, right?? :)
Nope. I'm 15! I don't know abbreviations for countries and cities!