What do you use to record yourself?

AnthonyScott

I tried my iPhone but that sounded like hell. I also use it to play along with tunes and metronome so it won’t work in the long run.
I don’t want a mic setup that I have to record using a computer, too much effort for recording a practice session.
So what works for you all? Thanks

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I'm interested in reading the upcoming suggestions, too. When I get my drums set up again, I want to record them simply to listen to my mistakes and maybe post a video or two. So I've been scrounging through my old PA gear remains and have thus far come up with a few SM57s and some Audix drum mics and a D6 for the bass drum. So the mics are covered. Also managed to dig out a cool little rack mount line mixer with six mic inputs, a stereo input, stereo output, and phantom power. And I have a good pair of in-ear monitors.

Now I have no idea where to go from here. The only other gear I have is an old desktop computer with no recording programs, and a very good quality new I-phone, Android, that I can barely work with. I have no idea how I should connect all of this to record and film, or what to use for mixdown and editing. I am not a digital person - yet!

So, I'll be watching and waiting with Anthony to see what you guys have to recommend.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

Silver Member
I use a Zoom H6. A friend uses a Zoom H5. Both with great results for exactly what you are talking about. Either with the on board mics or separate mics. You don't need anything else except maybe a tripod to elevate the unit and position it. Records straight to an SD card, no muss, no fuss.

Having said that, there are MANY of this thpe of unit made by several manufacturers that would fill this need just as well.

I just happen to have gone with the Zoom.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I have an old Edirol R-09HR I use occasionally, but yeah most of the time I use my laptop and Ableton. It sound 100x better and is no hassle as that's also my practice setup.

Those Zoom units are a good solution as you can ue several mics. All you really need is BD + OHs. PLacement of one unit with built in mic will be hard to usze regardless of the quality of the mic unless you either play really soft or have a room that can handle drums well.

yammyfan

I use a Zoom Q2n to record practice and performances. Inexpensive, excellent quality audio and very good video.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I use a Zoom Q2n to record practice and performances. Inexpensive, excellent quality audio and very good video.
This is what I use too. Good quality and practical. I find the video a little dull, but the sound is really good. You can record only audio if needed. I used to have a Zoom H1 : perfect and not expensive.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I tried my iPhone but that sounded like hell. I also use it to play along with tunes and metronome so it won’t work in the long run.
I don’t want a mic setup that I have to record using a computer, too much effort for recording a practice session.
So what works for you all? Thanks
If I wasn't allowed to use mics/DAW, I would grab a Zoom H6 or Yamaha EAD-10

RickP

Gold Member
I also use a Zoom Q2n as well, simple, reliable and more than decent sound and video quality.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A refurbished Tascam LS10 because they don't make them new anymore. Nothing fancy, just a handheld capture device.

I had an LS11 and 12. They both sucked. The LS10 is great and can really take a good drop too.

I don't record video at gigs because it's too problematic. But I can always find a good spot for an audio recorder.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
A Zoom something or other. Got it forever ago for about $200. Video quality is meh but the audio is actually not bad.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
A Zoom something or other. Got it forever ago for about $200. Video quality is meh but the audio is actually not bad.
Yep me too J-Boogie. I got the Zoom Q2HD (something like that?) forever a go. Zoom also makes just audio interfaces-if you don't want the video part and avoid any criticisms of your technique LOL-just kidding. The video part has really helped me "see" the problems at least.

toddmc

Gold Member
Zoom seems to be the winner and I'll cast my vote for it too (Zoom Q3HD for me)!
Literally could not be easier when recording with e-drums anyway.