what do you think about these Pacific maples?

heckofagator

Was trying to find a little bit about these, but everything I see points to "PDP" and not "Pacific". Anyone know anything about these? Looking for a first set for my son. Hoping to stay around $200 until we're sure he's into it. They are listed for $250 but have been on for a while, so they may be negotiable.

MPortnoy

PDP stands for Pacific Drums & Percussion so you're looking at the same brand, which is DW's budget line. Not sure how many years ago they changed the logo though.

I guess $200-$250 for a used starters kit is ok. If you find something below $200 it will probably be in bad condition. I'd check them out.

heckofagator

Yeah, thanks - I was talking about the logo. I wasn't sure if the "Pacific" was an older logo, cause everything now seems to be "PDP".

Anyway, the maple kinda caught my eye. Its tough at this price level, and really any price level - there's always something a bit better for a little more $$.

harryconway

Platinum Member
That's a good deal, if the hardware and cymbals are part of the equation.​
Typical hardware pack runs about $200. The cymbal pack, around $129.​

heckofagator

Set comes with the 3 cymbal stands and a hi-hat and ride cymbal. No crash cymbal.

So now for the real question. What about the color for a 9 year old boy? :D

T

The Old Hyde

Set comes with the 3 cymbal stands and a hi-hat and ride cymbal. No crash cymbal.

So now for the real question. What about the color for a 9 year old boy? :D
you can always pick up a used crash cheap enough, as far as worrying about the color, it shouldn't matter to him, I remember my first kit and the color was the last thing I cared about at the time. if you start to get picky on color, you are going to narrow your buying field.

heckofagator

Thanks again for the thoughts. My son is a 4th grader - first year in band. He was originally going to chose the electric bass, but they nixed that from the program this year. So he picked drums.

I was originally looking at just some practice pads and then I asked the band teacher and she recommended a snare for home practice. Well, finding many of those were $100+, I figured for just a little more, we could get a whole set. I wouldn't mind trying it out, either, being an off and on (mostly off) guitar player for the past 25 years.

I'm all for buying the best you can afford and definitely wouldn't mind picking up a really sweet set, but I just want to make sure he sticks with it first.

MPortnoy

Thanks again for the thoughts. My son is a 4th grader - first year in band. He was originally going to chose the electric bass, but they nixed that from the program this year. So he picked drums.

I was originally looking at just some practice pads and then I asked the band teacher and she recommended a snare for home practice. Well, finding many of those were $100+, I figured for just a little more, we could get a whole set. I wouldn't mind trying it out, either, being an off and on (mostly off) guitar player for the past 25 years.

I'm all for buying the best you can afford and definitely wouldn't mind picking up a really sweet set, but I just want to make sure he sticks with it first.
He was going to choose bass over drums??? BLASFEMY!!! hahahaha

That's awesome...I wish my parent's would've done the same thing when I told them I was into drums so that's very nice from you.

But yeah, based on what you say, I wouldn't spend too much now, just in case he's tempted into the dark side of electric bass later =P