What do you drink live?

Frost

Silver Member
My best friend...a skinny guy...just died last year of heart blockages. The homemade iced tea he drank everyday was so sweet it would make your teeth sing. He was 54 and ate sugar to excess. I feel like crap when insulin is released to bring down way high blood sugar. You don't realize how bad you feel until you stop abusing your insulin response and experience a steady level of blood sugar, as opposed to spiking blood sugar, then low blood sugar when insulin floods your bloodstream, which makes you crave more sugar...it a very bad cycle to be in.

You blood sugar needs to stay within certain parameters... between 70 and 120 milligrams per decilitre of blood if memory serves...too high (like 300 after you drink a coke) and insulin is released, too low, and you go into sugar shock...which can be fatal.
I dated a girl for 3 years that was a diabetic, so I got to understand the role refined sugar plays in the diet. It's the villian.
One of my best mates is a type one diabetic, due to him I eat wholegrain bread instead of white.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Blimey, all that drink and i would ... spend most of the night ... flying round the room, as that red bull stuff is meant to give you wings isn`t it.
In May this year we had a morning rehearsal to brush up the day before recording a demo. I didn't have time for a wake-up coffee so I bought an energy drink.

It was bizarre, I was speeding everything up heaps ... I'd be aware of it and couldn't stop getting faster and faster, as though my limbs belonged to the Red Bull rather than me. Like a brick roped to my accelerator ...

Never again. Prefer one drink to take the edge off my nerves ... I'm such a whack job that I can play at the same place forever and still get nervous before playing. I could play in front of two kids at a kindergarten and get nervous. Sometimes I enjoy a tiny amount of The Larry Remedy too. God knows, in lieu of a brain transplant, I need something ...

iwantmemoney

my version of flavored water = beer pitcher filled mostly with club soda and not much ice, with about a glass of cranberry juice mixed in. squeeze lemon in there too if you like. it's bright. and i do just drink right from the pitcher, sometimes with straws to stir, cuz it settles, just like coke. it's thin but it starts to taste good when you're hot, with no sugar hangover...i'm gonna check out endura and e-gel from the last thread pollyanna pointed out.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My best friend...a skinny guy...just died last year of heart blockages. The homemade iced tea he drank everyday was so sweet it would make your teeth sing. He was 54 and ate sugar to excess. I feel like crap when insulin is released to bring down way high blood sugar. You don't realize how bad you feel until you stop abusing your insulin response and experience a steady level of blood sugar, as opposed to spiking blood sugar, then low blood sugar when insulin floods your bloodstream, which makes you crave more sugar...it a very bad cycle to be in.

You blood sugar needs to stay within certain parameters... between 70 and 120 milligrams per decilitre of blood if memory serves...too high (like 300 after you drink a coke) and insulin is released, too low, and you go into sugar shock...which can be fatal.
I dated a girl for 3 years that was a diabetic, so I got to understand the role refined sugar plays in the diet. It's the villian.

Masheanhed

Water...and toward the end of the night I might drink a beer. There are two places we play that give bands a $25 per band member drink allowance, which is nice but only me and one other guy drinks and we only drink one beer the whole night. Wonder if they'd swap that allowance out in tacos. Hmmmm.

Frost

Silver Member
Sugared soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body because the entire amount of sugar hits your bloodstream so quickly, that your blood sugar spikes, then insulin is automatically released to bring the sugar level to within the parameters your body needs, and for me...I feel like crap when insulin is released, tired and sleepy. So I don't eat foods that prompt a flood of insulin, like sugared soda.

I do love the taste of soda though, and Coke is my fav. But I can't drink it, it makes me fat in record time.

Sugared soda is just really bad fuel for your body and is especially bad for your triglyceride numbers. Clogged arteries are the result of overconsumption of sugar..
I have never had weight issues due to some metabolism thing that makes me eat a lot, but when I stopped drinking tons of soft drink, I actually felt a lot better. I never really believed the stories until I experienced it first hand. I mostly drink tea and fruit juice now, beer in moderation, and god has it made a difference to my health, I just feel like a more lively person.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sugared soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body because the entire amount of sugar hits your bloodstream so quickly, that your blood sugar spikes, then insulin is automatically released to bring the sugar level to within the parameters your body needs, and for me...I feel like crap when insulin is released, tired and sleepy. So I don't eat foods that prompt a flood of insulin, like sugared soda.

I do love the taste of soda though, and Coke is my fav. But I can't drink it, it makes me fat in record time.

Sugared soda is just really bad fuel for your body and is especially bad for your triglyceride numbers. Clogged arteries are the result of overconsumption of sugar..

Frost

Silver Member
Haha, well no, probably not that much. I just drink bucketloads of it. Which is unhealthy, I know. But I rarely feel thirsty during a gig, and I have never had anything but coke, and occassionally Passion fuit with lemonade.
You are not the only one that drinks tons of coke :p believe me. my father is the worst example of someone that lives off the stuff.

Andy@MIT

Water... used to carry a gallon jug to every gig, and finish most of it during a 45 minute set. Keep in mind venues in the Phoenix heat can be punishing

Eman101

You can get well hydrated from coke? That's an odd one. I used to drink at least two litres a day and whenever I did any extensive exercise I always found myself reaching for a glass of water.
Haha, well no, probably not that much. I just drink bucketloads of it. Which is unhealthy, I know. But I rarely feel thirsty during a gig, and I have never had anything but coke, and occassionally Passion fuit with lemonade.

j.son

hey red menace..what part of arizona are you in? i remember a few years ago some people died in mesa because the resevior was down to the bactierial sludge level

Wopsey

I don't know how ANY of you drink while playing drums. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE drinking, hell I'm intoxicated right meow, but I can't possibly drink and then be expected to play drums in front of people.

I have a beer or two and I find my drumming is awful (maybe it's actually better but I just think it sounds awful?). I HAVE to stick with Water, especially seeing as I'm generally sweating like no other. Staying hydrated is key to success!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Maybe he's playing with Charlie Hunter, or someone with one of those things...

But yeah, B-3s rule. Even in the middle of Squib Cakes, Rocco lays out and it's all David and Chester.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
In my last band where I was playing boring average rock drum parts I used to love drinking during shows. Now my new band is a 2 piece so I'm 50% of the band. We've only played one show together so I imagine I'll lay off drinking a lot before playing. I'm n my twenties and a good solid deuce on an average day so I can put beer back but I feel more responsibility with this group because it's my band. I suppose I'm growing up...

Destroy, I miss that good CA tap water. Here in AZ it tastes like it was filtered through gravel. Yuck!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Even 1 beer affects me. I don't like how I feel playing the drums on alcohol. I lose the sensitivity. I don't even keep beer at home, not my drug of choice. But when it's free...I end up drinking like 4 of them right after the last set is done. Up until then it's water and a certain natural substance that's a secret.