What do we think of drummers that deliberately play out of time?

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
AllTheCoolNames -

Some people enjoy music that challenges them. Sometimes I listen to music and I have to give it a few listens before I start to understand it. Invariably, those are my favourite albums and that's usually because they have layers of depth. Right now I'm actually listening to 'Sol Niger Within' - which is a challenging album but one that I really enjoy. Sometimes it can be unfair to dismiss something because you might initially find it hard to listen to. I usually give albums at least three or four full plays before I decide whether I like it or not.

There's nothing wrong with music that is easily enjoyed, either. Not at all. I like AC/DC as much as the next person.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I finally had a chance to listen to the link in the OP.

The performance doesn't do anything special for me. But I don't think there's anything radical, or even unusual here. What kind of bugs me is it sounds like random fusion/rock phrases spread all over the place. The real masters of rubato playing don't do that; they have a much more organic approach. Check out the cats I mentioned in my earlier post for examples.

I guess it's a reminder that most of the music discussed on this forum operates in mainstream, backbeat-driven styles. To anyone who has checked out music from eastern cultures or the collective improvisational music from the so-called avant garde in jazz, both in the U.S. and Europe during the 1960s, rubato forms are used all the time. I mean, orchestral percussion have always featured "out of time" elements.

I guess I don't get the fuss. There's more to music than 2 and 4. This is just one of thousands of examples of it, even if it's not what I would consider a particularly great one.
8Mile. This isn't one of Agren's best performances of that piece (starting at 17.40 on the OPs clip).

This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5-t377P7Qg

When you put into context how formulaic metal usually is, it's a real breath of fresh air (albeit 17-year-old fresh air). I like it for the same reason that I like Naked City. Taking tried-and-tested formulae and toying with them, teasing at the boundaries and deconstructing. Naked City certainly were to some extent a parody act and I think that Sol Niger Within is something of a parody too - albeit one that might be the exemplar of Poe's Law.

8Mile

Platinum Member
8Mile. This isn't one of Agren's best performances of that piece (starting at 17.40 on the OPs clip).

This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5-t377P7Qg

When you put into context how formulaic metal usually is, it's a real breath of fresh air (albeit 17-year-old fresh air). I like it for the same reason that I like Naked City. Taking tried-and-tested formulae and toying with them, teasing at the boundaries and deconstructing. Naked City certainly were to some extent a parody act and I think that Sol Niger Within is something of a parody too - albeit one that might be the exemplar of Poe's Law.
BFY,

To be honest, I only listed to the part before the 17:40 mark, because I didn't have the time to watch the whole video when I saw this and wanted to focus on the "out of time" part.

I love the clip you posted. That's really cool and damn impressive.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
He is a badass and that's just one side to him.

I watched Chris Dave and the drumheds tonight. Sometimes the band splits up into 2 groups and they play at different tempos, or 1 goes off on a tangent, or they all go off on their own.. It was a cool show. After a while I got used to the weird out of time stuff and I could kinda tell when they were returning back to the main tempo/timing. This show answered my questions - I realize it's like anything else in music - up to the listener to decide, nothing more and personally I think it's just another form of expression. I'm not ready to use it just yet.