What are your favorite earplugs?

dwsabianguy

I use Earasers religiously now. I've used most of the plugs in the 10-40 dollar range and the Earasers are the most comfortable, and sound the best to me. And they don't drop the volume down as much as some other plugs do, so I can retain as much of my dynamics as possible, but it's enough that I don't damage my hearing any further. I'm not a fan of the fit or sound of the flanged earplugs.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
+1 on the Vater plugs. Great option. They aren't too expensive either.

They come with a little screw-top canister that I keep hooked onto my stick bag. Plus a string which (it may seem silly) is my favorite feature. I've lost one ear plug a few times, but I've never lost a pair.
That's exactly where I keep my little aluminum vater container too... Clipped to my meinl cymbal bag on the little ring.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I use Earasers religiously now. I've used most of the plugs in the 10-40 dollar range and the Earasers are the most comfortable, and sound the best to me. And they don't drop the volume down as much as some other plugs do, so I can retain as much of my dynamics as possible, but it's enough that I don't damage my hearing any further. I'm not a fan of the fit or sound of the flanged earplugs.
Those are also excellent, but more expensive than the vater/alpine ones, which is why I stick to them. I do tend to lose the buggers and it hurts less if it's 15 per pair rather than 40.

wipekitty

Thanks for your feedback, all.

I went with the Vaters - good price, and a huge improvement in sound quality while still blocking out the tones that make my head spin. Bonus for the little case; it's safely on my stick bag (a great deterrent for my earplug-chasing cat.)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The Hearos only stop up to 20 decibels. Depending on what you are doing you may want better plugs.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
The Hearos only stop up to 20 decibels. Depending on what you are doing you may want better plugs.
For these type of attenuating plugs, the decibels "stopped" is a bit misleading because they're designed to cut certain frequency ranges, and decibel refers simply to overall noise level. You have to look at the attenuation curve to get a real idea if they'll work for your noise levels. The vater/alpine ones have a really great curve to cut the harmful frequencies and still let you hear the ones that don't hurt. I've worn them for extremely loud concerts, and every time I play and never had any after-ringing in my ears. Their DB rating? -15.

They do actually come with change-out filters that are rated -25 but I've never used them.

Stixnergard2

I use Ear Peace brand, includes 3 different filter cartridges to fine tune the noise reduction.

Medium Protection (CLEAR) = SNR 17 / NRR 11. These filters are suitable for most loud events. Rehearsals, dance events, movies are all examples.

High Protection (RED) = SNR 20 / NRR 14. These filters are perfect for your live concerts and festivals. When you are close to the stacks you need extra protection.

Max Protection (BLACK) = SNR 26 / NRR 19. These filters are total block for when you need real quiet. Perfect for working the stage or sleeping after the show.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Because my left ear has a hole in my eardrum and the outer ear canal too large for normal ear plugs I use those malleable wax ear plugs for swimming. I note they block the sound too-but not completely apparently. Has anyone tried those for playing? A cheap alternative if they work!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
The two "best" ones are alpine or vater brand.
I have been learning to play with earplugs, the volume is a little too much for me with the rock bands I have been playing in.

I bought some Hearos and I'm really not happy with them, can't hear the vocals very well and I have trouble following the song.I'll get a pair of Vaters to try next week.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If I need them, the orange spongy ones factory workers use. They cancel more noise than the green ones. I can get them for free all day long at work. Don't hardly use them anymore though. My earbuds work just fine.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've noted a difference in my playing when my hearing aids are set normal so really the music and drums too loud-so I tend to play more shy, lower stick heights and quieter. Seems to translate to less confident playing. Now, after trying all kinds of hearing combinations, I just turn my aids down five beeps (It goes up five beeps too and I can hear a cricket poot-it's amazing since I can't hear squat without them). So on low volume I'm playing louder, more active and higher stick heights, but I feel I'm too loud and not reacting with music as I should? Now when I played live with an orchestra I played with my hearing aids normal so I could hear and play a volume that blended in with band volume (it was acoustic with a big string section so you couldn't play over other instruments).

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I've noted a difference in my playing when my hearing aids are set normal so really the music and drums too loud-so I tend to play more shy, lower stick heights and quieter. Seems to translate to less confident playing.
I never really thought about it that way. I guess if you are going to an audition or something it might be really good to make sure you have hearing protection then. It could be really bad, for example, if you are used to playing with headphones all the time. Then you go to audition with a new band and have to play acoustically and all of a sudden your drums are 20+ dB louder than you are used to, and all of a sudden you are playing timidly and mess up the audition.

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Honestly, I've tried everything and I wish that I went to custom IEMs years before I actually did.

I've had custom earplugs, foam, triple-flange, I've made custom tips for generic IEMs, but the best decision I ever made was to get a pair of custom IEMs. I have a pair of Alclair Versa XB monitors which after sending them back once to have them slightly thickened to make a better fit, they have worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years now. The service is great and I believe the IEMs have a lifetime guarantee, they'll freely reshape them if needed and you only have to pay for the postage.

Do yourself a favour: Save up and get some custom IEMs. Best decision you could possibly make.