What are your favorite albums?

dwsabianguy

Too many to list all of them here, but if I had to pick ten desert island records:

King's X - Dogman
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - Give the People What They Want
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (and other stories)
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Rush - Moving Pictures

It's hard to pick just ten records, but I'd be pretty happy with all of those.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Five Peace Band

Bob Marley - Uprising

Michael Landau Group - Live

Joni Mitchell - Wild Things Run Fast

Benik Hofseth - Planets, Rivers and....IKEA

Karizma - Document

Ab & Zu - Totally

Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

Miles Davis - Amandla

Peter Gabriel - So

Frank Sinatra - September of my years

Sting - Ten Summoners Tales

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Barbra Streisand - Back to Broadway

Tower of Power- selftitled

Jan Gunnar Hoff - Moving

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

Rebecka Törnquist & Per "Texas" Johansson - The Stockholm Kaza Session

Rickie Lee Jones - selftitled

Most of these I've wore out to the point were I don't listen to them anymore and just listen to them once a year or something for nostalgia. I've generally tried to get back to old style listening habits digesting one or two albums at a time.

Last edited:

dmacc_2

Picking my favorites is not possible so I will list what was most influential in terms of getting started in music and shifts in drumming.

The albums that I remember as my first love of music when I was in kindergarten (and before). I heard so much more than these, but these are lifetime sinkers.. Without these, not sure what the hell would of happened.
  • Duke Ellington Complete Live At Newport 1956
  • Count Basie Count Basie at Newport
  • Frank Sinatra Live at the Sands
  • Louis Armstrong / Ella Fitzgerald – Ella & Louis (verve)
  • Louis Armstrong - Louis Armstrong and The Dukes Of Dixieland
Still playing Jazz but I wanted to become a ‘rock star’
  • Kiss – Destroyer
Still playing Jazz, realized I would never get in Kiss and had the chance to see my first rock concert
  • Van Halen – Women and Children First
Still playing Jazz but….Hello Steve Smith
  • Journey-Captured
  • Journey-Escape
  • Journey- Frontiers
Was playing Jazz and abandoned Rock drumming permanently…
  • Tower of Power- Back to Oakland
Got these for Christmas and life would never be the same again
  • Miles Davis - The Complete Concert- 1964 (My Funny Valentine & 'Four More' ) - Hello Tony
  • John Coltrane – My Favorite Things and In a Sentimental Mood - Hello Elvin
Then I dove into Steve Gadd with Chick Corea-Three Quartets and once again life changed forever.

Lastly came Chick Corea’s 1st Electric Band album with Dave Weckl. I’ve never quite recovered from this.

There are SO many more albums / artists I could list. Almost feel guilty leaving out, honestly.

Hewitt2

Like picking a favorite child but here goes:

Genesis - Seconds Out
Zero 7 - Simple Things
Radiohead - OK Computer
John Scofield - Blue Matter
CAB - CAB 2

TxGroove

If I had to take one album alone stranded on a primate planet, it would be the third album by Lagwagon - Trashed.

V-Four

Jeez.. hard to choose. I guess I look back and recall which "tapes" I wore out , listening over and over- compared to other music I had at the time.(and then cds, once they were available, that stayed in the player non stop).

In no particular order:

Saigon Kick - Moments from the fringe (sortof their "demo album")
Dangerous Toys - Dangerous Toys
311 - Blue album (cuz it turned me on to them, otherwise, not sure I could choose an absolute fav)
Motley Crue - Too Fast for Love
Pearl Jam - Ten
Al Jolson - Greatest Hits (Went thru a phase where this was all I listened to for about a year- Cant believe I never heard of the "Worlds greatest entertainer" before this.)
Poison - cat dragged in (yup, I said it- and secure enough to admit it. ;) )

I still enjoy all of these, but at one time or another, each one was "THE ONLY" album at particular times in my life. Wish they still made music (these days) that I could feel passionate about, like I was back in the day. (other than 311, who are still makin "decent enough" music)

Sure there's other songs by other bands that I've also loved along the way, but, I cant really think of any more whole albums, (that I would listen to in their entirety- and love the whole time.. other than several other 311 albums).

T.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Thanks for the feedback beatdat. I think you are right on point. I think the mix of Scottish folk music and some of the less rock style influences in the music made it a little less accessible than say Rush, or Yes. I think that was the case for me back in the day. Now, familiar is boring to me....bring on the Scottish folk or whatever, classic orchestral, the weirder and the more it make me think the better.

beatdat

Thanks for the feedback beatdat. I think you are right on point. I think the mix of Scottish folk music and some of the less rock style influences in the music made it a little less accessible than say Rush, or Yes. I think that was the case for me back in the day. Now, familiar is boring to me....bring on the Scottish folk or whatever, classic orchestral, the weirder and the more it make me think the better.
Take a listen to some Gentle Giant, especially their first few albums. If you like a mix with less of a "rock" style influence, they might also be what you're looking for.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Gentle Giant....Ill give them a try, I basically know nothing about them. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ha....lots of Shulmans in there....Im Shuman.

lsits

Gold Member
Right now...

Queen - Queen II
Led Zeppelin - First album
Kansas - Song For America
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Yes - Relayer
Nektar - Remember The Future
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Mott the Hoople - The Hoople

johnwesley

Silver Member
The Who.........Tommy
Emmylou Harris.....Ballad of Sally Rose
David Allan Coe.....Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy, Family Album
Beatles....all of them
Artie Shaw......Anthology
Irish Tenors....Ellis Island
Sabine Meyers....Mozart Clarinet Concerto
Alan Jackson.....Under the Influence
Beach Boys......all their early surf and car albums
Creedence Clearwater......Best of (double album)
The Mavericks.....all albums

I'm sure there's more, but these are top of mind

Peedy

Beatles: Abbey Road
That’s my no. 1. First album I ever got. My sister gave it too me when she freaked out for Jesus in 1974. She burned all her rock music but couldn’t bare to torch that one. Still have it.

2 is Queen - a Night at the Opera
3 is Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon

Paul_MovementDrumCo

That’s my no. 1. First album I ever got. My sister gave it too me when she freaked out for Jesus in 1974. She burned all her rock music but couldn’t bare to torch that one. Still have it.

2 is Queen - a Night at the Opera
3 is Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon
Haha, love that story. Such a cultural moment