What are your drumming (or musical) mottos in life..?

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
With that i am not speaking about just an opinion about something, but about some sort of essential guidelines that you use throughout your musical life..

A few of mine are..

Regarding people i like to play (or hangout) with or not..:

* "A little modesty never hurted anyone.."

* "There is only one thing worse than a narcissist and thats a musician narcissist.."

And, regarding music in general, which is a quote from the legendary John Peel..:

* "I just want to hear something that i havent heard before.."

Anyone else has a few of them..?

trickg

Silver Member
"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice."

alparrott

Platinum Member
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."
"Prior planning prevents poor performance."
"When in doubt, keep time."
"Better to have and not need, than need and not have."

AzHeat

Platinum Member
If people whom you don’t know stopped by to see you play, make sure you’ve done all you could to keep them interested.
Practice like it’s your day job.
Play like sex from that moment on depends on your delivery.
Have fun like a pig parade in mud.
Don’t take yourself too seriously.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
My tagline was my first understanding of session work: "You're never fired, you're just not asked to do the next thing." - Liberty DeVitto
My other is "Beat your drums like they owe you money. Let the sound guy turn you down in the mix."

SirSwingsAlot

“Jammin on the one” -the Cosby show
“Keep it on the 2&4” -Bernard Purdie
“I love my stylish drummer” Wynton Marsalis to Me

SirSwingsAlot

Oh yeah how could I forget,
“This is bull we played 6 hours and he’s paying us 70 each.” -vibraphone player who shall remain namelsss

Pootle

Shift drumkit from car to stage in maximum three trips.

Always served me well, get in and get out minimum fuss. Anymore and I've probably bought too much gear.

Ransan

My tagline was my first understanding of session work: "You're never fired, you're just not asked to do the next thing." - Liberty DeVitto
My other is "Beat your drums like they owe you money. Let the sound guy turn you down in the mix."
Second quote sounds like Liberty as well.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Stay humble
Never stop learning
Fills for show, pocket for dough

Shift drumkit from car to stage in maximum three trips.

Always served me well, get in and get out minimum fuss. Anymore and I've probably bought too much gear.
and this!