What are you views on Appice's Realistic Rock?

CCdrummer

Hi

Just wondering what the forums communities views are on Carmine Appice's book realistic rock for a beginning drummer.

I went through it myself ages ago and found it to be pretty good introduction to drumming.

The reason I ask is a young drummer who can't really take lessons off of a real teacher for a lot of reasons is asking me for advice. I am not great but I am the best that he has got so your input would be appreciated.

I will also direct him to this website as well.

Chazz

Well, I also have this book (probably the 1st edition & autographed by Carmine)
My opinion it's a very good book for ROCK BEATS...
If I were to show/give lessons or advice to a friend.

1. I would mix it up...

1 book for rudiments. - Stone
1 book for rock beats - Carmine's
1 book for jazz & syncopated - B. Rich & or Chas. Wilcoxon

and watch the "Good" Youtube videos like drumteacher76 (Mike Johnston)

Good Luck!

CCdrummer

Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking. I have morello's master studies so I thought I would use that instead of stick control. The two are fairly close aren't they?

bamdrummer

Im gonna have to agree with chazz, with one addition. Later, when the kid gets successfully through most of the books chazz suggested, I would give him Advanced funk studies by Rick Latham. Great book, great beats. as for carmine's book, an awesome start definitely.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Thanks, thats kind of what I was thinking. I have morello's master studies so I thought I would use that instead of stick control. The two are fairly close aren't they?
Morello studied with Stone, so Mater Studies is an extension of Stick Control. I would start with Stick Control pg. 5 and work with some of the easier exercises in Master Studies as well.

Jeff

JDemlow

Hi

Just wondering what the forums communities views are on Carmine Appice's book realistic rock for a beginning drummer.

I went through it myself ages ago and found it to be pretty good introduction to drumming.

The reason I ask is a young drummer who can't really take lessons off of a real teacher for a lot of reasons is asking me for advice. I am not great but I am the best that he has got so your input would be appreciated.

I will also direct him to this website as well.
If he can't take actual private lessons, I would recommend the Tommy Igoe Groove Essentials Package. It comes with a book, complete with notation and charts, a DVD which demonstrates everything, and a CD of play along tracks with the drums sucked out. Best package available on the market. I've used it with all my students for a couple years now, with tremendous success!

jc28

I used Realistic Rock over twenty years ago, and I still yank it out to this day. The one thing you didn't mention was if your friend had any reading skills. If not I would suggest a fundimental book to sharpen up those skills before he jumped into Realistic Rock.I would also turn him onto Syncopation by Ted Reed. Carmine Appice is all about syncopation and his book gets into it pretty quickly. It may be easier for your friend to learn some of those syncopated feels just reading the snare line before he has to apply it to the whole Kit.