What are the stories behind famous drummers kits?

mesazoo

I recall seeing pictures of some big band era drummer who used quite a large swish cymbal as his main ride. This would’ve been late 40s-early 50s as the be bop era started. I forget who it was - I wanna say Zutty Singleton. I do know Stan Kenton required big cymbals - there are pictures of Peter Erskine using 26” and 24” cymbals. And in the 70s Billy Cobham used a 26” swish as well.
I attended the Kenton Clinic while in HS. 1 Week learning from him and the band. The drummers used Stans cymbals. The drummer may leave but the cymbals stayed behind.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I attended the Kenton Clinic while in HS. 1 Week learning from him and the band. The drummers used Stans cymbals. The drummer may leave but the cymbals stayed behind.
That’s cool. I recall going to a Bob Florence rehearsal at the union hall in Hollywood when Peter Donald was the drummer. Bob came in with Nick Ceroli’s old 18” swish under his arm. Gave it to Peter to play, but after rehearsal, took it back!

Well a lot of the changes in drums have corresponded to the changes in technology in the industry, as well as issues in practicality.

Drums got bigger when guys were playing heavier music in larger venues like arenas for example. You needed bigger drums to be able to project over top of the stacks of amps back then.

Concert toms started to get offered when guys in studios couldn't close mic double-headed toms.

Drums got thicker in the 80's because the music got louder.

Drums got thinner in the 90's-2000's because of advances recording technology and PA equipment.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Whoah, what the wha.....sup with that bass drum. Also, I want to play that. Oh, ok I read it, but still...neat, I want to have a go.

Last edited: