What are jasper shells?

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I've tried looking it up on google and past threads but I haven't really found an exact answer. I just got a 1960s Gretsch 6 ply bass drum that is a jasper shell and I'm curious what exactly the shell composition is. I've read that they used a maple/gumwood combination? So is it 2 inner plys of maple, 2 middle plys of gumwood and 2 outer plys of maple again? Also I'm not very familiar with gumwood, is it similar to poplar or mahogany?

Regardless the drum sounds great and as old as the shell is it is perfectly in round and seems really sturdy and durable

pgm554

Platinum Member
Jasper was a furniture company that did OEM shells for a number of drum companies (Gretsch,Ludwig,Fibes Corder)

Gumwood was the formulation that Jasper used when they had issues with getting other woods to construct their shells for other drum companies.

https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/not-so-modern-drummer/2015/9/7/jasper-wood-gretschs-standard-6-ply-shells-and-centennial-shells

Their experiment paid off as some of the most desirable drumsets out there use gumwood in their ply shells.

Johnny Craviotto's first custom snares were built using Jasper shells purchased from Corder drums.

So if you own a Corder drum set ,chances are it's a Jasper drum shell.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Johnny Craviotto's first custom snares were built using Jasper shells purchased from Corder drums.
Oh that's cool-- do you know if there was a company name for those drums? I have a drum by Select, which was his company in the 80s, which is a solid maple shell-- definitely not a Jasper. I also have a drum he built some time in the 80s that has an Eames shell-- with an old Slingerland badge and Radio King bass drum lugs.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Oh that's cool-- do you know if there was a company name for those drums? I have a drum by Select, which was his company in the 80s, which is a solid maple shell-- definitely not a Jasper. I also have a drum he built some time in the 80s that has an Eames shell-- with an old Slingerland badge and Radio King bass drum lugs.
Not that I know of ,but I'm pretty sure one of the drums he built was used by Huey Lewis's drummer,Bill Gibson.