what am I doing wrong here? kick pedal adjustment (cam hitting head)

stellar

I took some pictures so you can see the problem I am having.... the hammer hits right in the center of the kick drum (22"), but the recoil is damaging the head. do I just have it re-coiling too far or what?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Re: what am I doing wrong here? kick pedal adjustment

I took some pictures so you can see the problem I am having.... the hammer hits right in the center of the kick drum (22"), but the recoil is damaging the head. do I just have it re-coiling too far or what?

First a little terminology.It's called a beater...not a hammer,and it's a drive chain or chain drive ..not a recoil.Those bass hoops look a bit shallow

The problem is that the pedal is too close to the head.Re-adjust the distance of the pedal cam/chain to the head ,and hit slightly off center and you should be fine.

And buy a new head.:)

Steve B

skod

Is it the cam itself that is contacting the head, or is it the bitter end of the beater shaft that extends down below the cam (as opposed to the working portion of the beater, that extends up above the clamp and does the real work)? That third picture makes it look as if there is a fair amount of shaft tail extending out down below, and that can get pretty close to the head as the beater rebounds- and cut a dandy little slot if things are too close.

If it is the end of the shaft that is causing trouble, you could consider attacking it with a hacksaw and removing any excess length that extends beyond the cam/shaft clamp.

Another possibility is that the pedal isn't clamped onto the hoop quite solidly enough, and it is getting kicked into the head as you play. I've seen that happen before with toe stops- the player doesn't even realize how much force they are exerting towards the head as they kick, and the pedal is just rocking away down there. You'll be able to tell if that is the case from all the metal shavings that will probably have collected down at the hoop clamp.... (;-)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think your beater needs to be extended out a bit. Whenever I see a pedal with the beater shortened like that, the pedal doesn't feel right to me. I have to have the additional weight to throw when the beater is put where it should be. I think you're trying to make sure the beater strikes the center of the head? With the extra weight of the extended beater hitting a little above the center, you will get the same effect. For me it messes up my bass drum technique to have the weight thrown off like that.

I also think your hoop is a little shallow and the pedal isn't far back enough. Which is really strange because hoops have been pretty standard as far as width goes for some time. Maybe you should try installing a wood hoop on the drum? I play Iron Cobras and I know there's nothing wrong with the pedal.

stellar

thanks for the replies. it is indeed the end of the shaft that is causing trouble. And I do, in fact, have the beater adjusted to strike the center of the drum. is this not correct? Finally, this is a vintage kit, maybe that is why the hoops are shallow? I can try to pull the pedal back, but it doesn't attach as well because the bumper won't be making contact, and it will be liable to wander. I don't see a way to move the cam back without moving the entire pedal back, unless I am missing something? Maybe I should get a piece of rubber to space out the pedal bumper? or I could have less re-coil altogether...what angle does your pedal rest at? I should point out that it took a few months of playing to go through the head like that...there is only a small bit of contact but over a few dozen hours of playing it finally ate through it.

topgun2021

Gold Member
thanks for the replies. it is indeed the end of the shaft that is causing trouble. And I do, in fact, have the beater adjusted to strike the center of the drum. is this not correct? Finally, this is a vintage kit, maybe that is why the hoops are shallow? I can try to pull the pedal back, but it doesn't attach as well because the bumper won't be making contact, and it will be liable to wander. I don't see a way to move the cam back without moving the entire pedal back, unless I am missing something? Maybe I should get a piece of rubber to space out the pedal bumper? or I could have less re-coil altogether...what angle does your pedal rest at? I should point out that it took a few months of playing to go through the head like that...there is only a small bit of contact but over a few dozen hours of playing it finally ate through it.
What size is the bass drum? That would play a factor in adjusting to hit the beat where you want.

Beater placement is subjective, but I have always done, One beater above or below center.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Doesnt look like it has bass drum hoops to me- Looks like regular triple flange hoops (I think the pictures are at such a low angle to the head that we are seeing the relfection of the hoop which makes it look deeper- like a bass drum hoop)

Any chance for a picture of the whole drum from the side?

tard

Gold Member
First, that weight attached to the bottom of the beater is actually supposed to be on the upper part of the shaft so you can add or remove weight from the beater head by moving it up or down, Second, the hoops are a bit shallow because its a vintage kit putting the pedal closer to the head so my advise is to get a beater with a shorter shaft or cut that one off. Hope that helps.

stellar

thanks for the help. I took the weight off and adjusted the beater to be slightly higher than center and it seems pretty good. there are so many adjustments on this pedal, I have no idea how to get it "perfect" or what that would even look/feel like.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I think your beater needs to be extended out a bit. Whenever I see a pedal with the beater shortened like that, the pedal doesn't feel right to me. I have to have the additional weight to throw when the beater is put where it should be. I think you're trying to make sure the beater strikes the center of the head? With the extra weight of the extended beater hitting a little above the center, you will get the same effect. For me it messes up my bass drum technique to have the weight thrown off like that.

I also think your hoop is a little shallow and the pedal isn't far back enough. Which is really strange because hoops have been pretty standard as far as width goes for some time. Maybe you should try installing a wood hoop on the drum? I play Iron Cobras and I know there's nothing wrong with the pedal.
Rather than extend the beater, I'd get a hacksaw and shorten the shaft. A shorter shaft is advantageous in many ways - it is easier to play more quietly, faster response and lighter weight. I have tried to play with a longer shaft - I call it the Frankenstein configuration, because it's so clumsy - and the only advantage is being able to play louder. Which not many other musicians consider an advantage.

It is not always a good recommendation to suggest someone alter their playing style to accommodate a hardware issue, especially when the hardware issue is easy to address (in this case, shortening the shaft).

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
And I do, in fact, have the beater adjusted to strike the center of the drum. is this not correct?

Bass drum pedals 'are not' designed in a way that allows the beater to hit dead center of the drumhead.

You do need to raise the beater.