Well...... It's been a year

shadowtick

One year ago today I started playing again after a 20 year layoff, and after practicing tonight, I sat down with a drink, put on "A Love Supreme" and began thinking about the drums, music and how my relationship with both has changed since I started playing again.

Th last year has been great, been taking lessons twice a month, and am working with stick control and groove essentials. I have placed zero expectations on myself - I found when I was younger if I did not improve as quickly as I thought I should I would get frustrated and tense up. I have since learned that things develop at their own pace regardless of what I think about them. And if i relax and let myself just enjoy playing- things seem to come along more quickly.

Things I have learned:

- Consistent, focused instruction has helped me immensely

-While I admire, and enjoy many drummers the common thread that they all have is a uniqueness in sound.........something inside that comes out...While I can learn from appreciate and love them all, I have my own unique voice to add to the tradition of our art. 'There is only one Steve Gadd--- but conversely their is only one me. Not that I am anywhere even close to his ability but my goal is to find my own voice for my own songs

-When I was younger i used to be a "purist" or perhaps "elitist' when it came to electronics
Right now I am totally in love with VST technology. My wife makes short films and I find one of my greatest joys is working on the soundtracks with her

-There is a whole universe of music I missed out on growing up, some of it i really like, other things i don't get but i find myself listening more intently

- Sometimes accidents happen and they sound good- let them happen

-Lastly I am thankful to the members of this forum for their insight, advice and generosity of spirit

Looking forward to many more years of learning and enjoying.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Great post. I too have noticed that if I don't expect anything, my improvement seems to happen all by itself. But it's funny that you have to go through 20 years of ego-driving to figure that one out!

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
-There is a whole universe of music I missed out on growing up, some of it i really like, other things i don't get but i find myself listening more intently
God, I wish I had known this when I started. I do now, and I have the beginning of a grasp on it, but when I was younger, I thought that only one kind of music was worth listening to- and playing. There's no way I could express how changing that part of me improved my playing.