Weirded out by good vibes lol

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
i feel exactly as you do Pol. at first i wonder why they are smiling at me, then it dawns on me that i was onstage shaking my butt (like we do) and then i refuse to be presumptuous so i keep moving.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I am starting to initiate. Not for compliments, for my own social practice, and because it's a good thing to do, as a band member. I do it to the people who are communicating with their smiles and are obviously interested with the band. I think it goes a long way when we acknowledge them personally and thank them for coming out, ask them a little about themselves. Most love to yap on and on, I just smile and listen, and they think I'm a great guy lol. It never went bad, in fact it usually goes down wonderfully. You could be really good onstage, but if you come off stage and you don't acknowledge the smiling people...you should acknowledge the smiling people. Plus you would be missing out on some very nice conversation with some very nice people.
On the other hand, I've not had bad experiences trying to avoid people :) Bland, yes, but not bad. I guess I'm not very interested - "nice" doesn't interest me.

I definitely acknowledge the smilers, though. I have old school manners and never, ever wittingly snub anyone. But I definitely prefer it when an audience member comes up to chat rather than just smile, and I prefer observations to compliments by a mile.

Being smiled at between sets concerns you? I think the time to be concerned is when people avert their gazes, 'cuz usually it means they don't like the music. (Or your fly is open, which yours, of course, isn't.)
Agree with that.

I have forgotten to do up my fly at times, especially with my main work pants which have these annoying top clips ... they take so much work to do up that, by the time I've gotten it together, I feel like the job's done. At least there's nothing to flop out :)

No one has ever told me about an undone fly. People are such bitches ... I ALWAYS tell people if their fly's undone, or their collar's askew, or their skirt's stuck in their panty hose. If someone had told NC68 he might have picked up a new job, hey?

I've got Asperger's Syndrome... someone smiles at and/or initiates a conversation with me I want to run like the wind in the other direction because I've never encountered anything more excruciating in life than having to make small talk. I mean, it causes literal physical pain.
I've gone out with two Aspies - good r/ships too, if quirky. I'm ADHD which has a lot of similarities (and some researchers speculate that it's part of the Autism spectrum).

Small talk knocks me around too. If someone asks me how I am I'm almost incapable of saying "Well thanks" when I'm not - but I don't want to whinge so it just makes me feel trapped.

C'mon, Polly, smile. Be friendly.
Nah, stuff 'em!

After gigs, people look at me like "Who the hell is that guy". Is that normal?
I don't get this, Thaardy. Why would they think that? Because you're so brilliant that they can't believe that they haven't seen you on the cover of Rolling Stone? Because they think you look funny? Do you wear weird clothes to gigs? Because they're suffering short term memory loss? Because you have a common look and they can't place you? ... "I know that guy ... I'm sure I've seen him before ... now where was it??"

:)

i feel exactly as you do Pol. at first i wonder why they are smiling at me, then it dawns on me that i was onstage shaking my butt (like we do) and then i refuse to be presumptuous so i keep moving.
Do you smile? You have to smile back, UFF. Otherwise it's a diss.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
On the other hand, I've not had bad experiences trying to avoid people :) Bland, yes, but not bad. I guess I'm not very interested - "nice" doesn't interest me.

I definitely acknowledge the smilers, though. I have old school manners and never, ever wittingly snub anyone. But I definitely prefer it when an audience member comes up to chat rather than just smile, and I prefer observations to compliments by a mile.

Agree with that.

I have forgotten to do up my fly at times, especially with my main work pants which have these annoying top clips ... they take so much work to do up that, by the time I've gotten it together, I feel like the job's done. At least there's nothing to flop out :)

No one has ever told me about an undone fly. People are such bitches ... I ALWAYS tell people if their fly's undone, or their collar's askew, or their skirt's stuck in their panty hose. If someone had told NC68 he might have picked up a new job, hey?

I've gone out with two Aspies - good r/ships too, if quirky. I'm ADHD which has a lot of similarities (and some researchers speculate that it's part of the Autism spectrum).

Small talk knocks me around too. If someone asks me how I am I'm almost incapable of saying "Well thanks" when I'm not - but I don't want to whinge so it just makes me feel trapped.

Nah, stuff 'em!

I don't get this, Thaardy. Why would they think that? Because you're so brilliant that they can't believe that they haven't seen you on the cover of Rolling Stone? Because they think you look funny? Do you wear weird clothes to gigs? Because they're suffering short term memory loss? Because you have a common look and they can't place you? ... "I know that guy ... I'm sure I've seen him before ... now where was it??"

:)

Do you smile? You have to smile back, UFF. Otherwise it's a diss.
hmm...yes i do. but i will admit that in forum posts i forget to use smilies.

Juniper

Gold Member
If people smile at me I smile back. If people talk to me I talk back. No need to over analyze.

Quite simple in my world (or maybe, I'm just simple).

Start getting freaked out when someone follows you home then starts following you to work, which happened a few years ago and was weird but also quite awesome at the same time......