Weird question but I'll ask it anyway...

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I have a black drum kit...want to change the bass drum but keep the rest so looking for a really tasty bass drum for sale.

I've seen a belter, but it's crimson red...the colour of blood BWAHAHAHAHA....

Joking apart...would this work?

There's a part of me which thinks 'roulette'...black and red would look swell.

But I don't want to buy it and regret it...

Thoughts anyone ??

Buying a full, brand new kit, financially isn't an option, and I don't think I'd want to anyway....I quite like what I've got (bass excepted)

Thanks, as always, in advance for your comments/assistance

EarthRocker

Go for it. I've used mis-matched kits quite a bit - as long as the equipment sounds okay, nobody really cares. I've actually been looking into a 24" or 26" kick drum to put with my Sonor kick. Of course, it'll be stripped and painted to at least match the rest of the kit in color. But even if you have no interest in this, you'll be fine. I doubt anyone will even mention it.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Recording session legends in L.A. and New York have used 'Mismatched' sets for years. "mismatched' meaning different colors, brands, shell compostions and manufacturer dates. Jim Keltner comes to mind. These players mix and match different drums in their collections to get the right sound in the studio. It's totally an ears related decision

Here's Nashville #1 call drummer Paul Leim paying a Yamaha kit with birch toms and a maple bass drum for the MD 2000 festival. This set mirrors the approach he uses in the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GchOmNsJRZQ

The only times this becomes an issue is when you are playing live and are concerned about image or properly displaying endorsement gear.

My .02

Jim

alparrott

Platinum Member
Half the time the audience doesn't know or care what is up with your drums, just that you hit them in the approximately correct order. Do what you like, man.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Curious to know what you don't like about your existing bass drum. What has this new drum got to offer that your current one doesn't?

opentune

Platinum Member
Half the time the audience doesn't know or care what is up with your drums, just that you hit them in the approximately correct order. Do what you like, man.
+1000. I've given up thinking about what other people might notice or not. hell, my bandmates barely notice if I change any drums around.

Jellybean kits, orphan drums, all cool to me. At some level I guess it depends on image you are trying to project. I suppose a glitzy Las Vegas act needs the 'right' drumkit up there.

You can also consider changing the hoops. Powder coat yours or buy new ones in a new color.
Black kit? Try gold hardware. Try white hardware. Heck, spray paint your hoops metallic Red. You can mix it up without spending a ton of $$.

-c

T

The Old Hyde

I hate mis-matched kits. It looks like you were to cheap to afford a kit and cobbled it togeather. Thats just me. One brand drum, cymbals, and hardware.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I learned a long time ago that you cannot sell taste. 400 of us here may like the idea but once it's on your drum you have to live with it. I used to work in a Hardware store and ladies would ask how I liked this color. Sorry no answer was given. I didn't have to live with it.

StickIt

You'd really have to see the shells all sitting together to make that determination IMO. I think black and red would look good together, but the exact finishes might clash a little bit. Do you use a matching black snare? That might make a little difference too.

I'd like to know, like KIS asked, what about your current bass drum do you not like?

Slippy

i would say go for it, some of the best recorded drum in the past have been from miss matched hit... if anyone asks just says its a jelly bean kit (cause it is)