Wearing hearing protection issue

DarkwingDrum

I've been using ear plugs with filters for a couple of years now and I would definitely recommend some kind of hearing protection. It took a few practices to get used to it but now I can't play or go to gigs without putting them in.
Mine are fairly discreet once they are in but I've had some funny looks and comments from friends and my response is always the same, my dad is deaf in one ear from gigs and playing when he was younger and he moans about it constantly. I'm enough like my dad already without deliberately following in his footsteps.

EarthRocker

On rare occasions I'll forget my "ear plugs" at home, and have no choice by to play without them. In all honesty, I don't do it to protect my hearing, as much as I do to hear the music's true sound. When I'm wearing ear plugs I hear the drums, and every other instrument much better. I've advised everyone else to do this, but no one seems to listen.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I've used hearing protection forever. I never cared what others thought. Let THEM lose, or put up with bad ringing in their ears.

I've used Peltor ear muffs. They work very well, and things sound great.
If you don't want to have "'phones" on your head, for about the last year (since May) I've used the Earasers earplugs.

I really like these a lot. They bring the total volume down a lot, but everything is clear.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/earasersmusicianshifiearplugs.cfm?srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=31-187694811-2&source=channel_intelligence_shopping_hayneedle

If you aren't hearing vocals after you lay back a little, then the band is too loud for the PA. Nothing but them turning down will correct that.

Otto

Platinum Member
Gotta supply your own monitoring when the group as a whole does not use it.

Consider placing a mic above and just behind your head and running it to a small mixer with some limiting to keep your ears from popping when someone plays with your mixer while you are playing.

...can move your own monitoring mic around as you might need to suit the situation.

The world really opens up when you take resposibility for your own monitoring/listening environment.

I run relativly cheap ear buds under 'over-the-ear' type hearing protectors..in a set-up like described above...works great in all situations I have run into where the group didnt use common monitoring (didnt use limiter through most of my history...but wish I would have).

Cymbalise

I can only echo what has been said already by others here - your hearing is vulnerable and once it's gone it's gone.

Funny looks or not, I ALWAYS wear hearing protection. Drums, gigs, power tools, clubs, bars, the list goes on.

Yes, my friends have in the past looked at me strangely, but as tinnitus has afflicted most of them by now they have started on the ear plugs too.

If a band I'm auditioning for was to question my hearing protection I'd question why they don't wear it themselves.

Bretton

Silver Member
ALWAYS wear hearing protection. acoustic drums by themselves can damage your ears.

you can't turn up and down, guitarists/bassists/vocalists can. They need to match your comfortable volume, it is very unreasonable to expect a drummer to play everything as a ghost note just so everyone can avoid putting foam in their ears.

tell them they should wear hearing protection. buy a bulk pack of earplugs and let them use some. If they choose not to, you've done all you can.

vxla

Silver Member
Even foam ear plugs (the -33dB type) will help. Who cares what people think about the way they look?

Tomshalev01

I got myself musician earplugs and i'll never go back.
When i moved to an acoustic drum kit, band practice became extremely loud, and the basic earplugs/headphones tended to distort all sounds which caused me to fall out of sync, lose beat and lose timing.
musician earplugs basically just lowers everything down equally, so there's no distortion to sounds. Now my entire band is getting them, but for the money it costs - it's completely worth it! and for those that care about aesthetics, They're transparent and can only be noticed if you're looking really closely!

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Always wear ear protection. I also use a Rolls personal monitor with headphones. I take the monitor feed in and my own vocal mic in and pass it thru to the main PA. In pracitce I do miss some of the lead guitarists sound since his amp is not pointing at any of the vocals but I'll take that any day. Even at low volumnes acoustic drums are loud. I don't know how my bass player and rythem /singer handle my crashes in rehearsal since they are standing right in front of them. Nobody else wears protection. Concerns me but they are responsible for their hearing, not me.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Wear ear protection. You sit right next to the cymbals if it's a small room that's worse. What you really want to do is think abou how it will sound where ever you plan on gigging and plan accordingly. For example if you plan on small restaurant gigs like a piano trio, use brushes leave the ear plugs at home. If you plan on a large auditorium or outside, use ear protection it will imitate the sound attenuation, and more closely simulate what the audience will hear twenty or thirty feet away.

lsits

Gold Member
I got the flesh-colored Hearos foam earplugs. 20 pair for $5 or $6. People can't tell you're wearing them unless they're standing right next to you.