Washboard query

double bass man

I have seen washboard players holding the washboard not using the traditional thimbles but using some sort of 'scraper' (for want of a better word) in their right hand--would you happen to know what that 'scraper' may be?

Ps_-There's some great swinging washboard players out there!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
People use anything and also makes stuff themselves. Get the sound they like and make it comfortable to hold.

I know a guy who has one on his regular kit. It's just a riding option for him so he just uses his drumstick.

IBitePrettyHard

Haha, sounds like anything in your kitchen scrap drawers will work just fine.

That after all is the nature of this 'instrument' to begin with.

Making due with percussive sounding household items. It's more authentic that way!

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Haha, sounds like anything in your kitchen scrap drawers will work just fine.

That after all is the nature of this 'instrument' to begin with.

Making due with percussive sounding household items. It's more authentic that way!
I think there is a little more to the rasp, though the instrument has gone through rapid change. In modern times, from manufactured washboards to the scratching of turntables(some of the most highly paid and consistently compensated instrumental musicians).

I think it is interesting in pre-history, archeology indicates that the rasp was mostly found in North America. Some tribes still keep their traditions alive: