Want to upgrade tom lugs

Frank

Gold Member
I play a low end kit. While all is fine with it, I want to upgrade the lugs on the toms to something very good quality. Something that will tune nice and smooth.

Anyone want to suggest some nice quality lugs - ideally that will match the 39 mm sizing of the current holes on my toms? Thanks.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree that new lugs aren't going to be cheap, and being limited to match an existing hole spacing means you might not have many (or any) options.

And honestly, you could buy a whole new entry-level drumset for what 60 good new lugs is going to cost.

You could replace just the swivel nuts, assuming the lugs on your current kit take standard swivel nuts.

Frank

Gold Member
I agree that new lugs aren't going to be cheap, and being limited to match an existing hole spacing means you might not have many (or any) options.

And honestly, you could buy a whole new entry-level drumset for what 60 good new lugs is going to cost.

You could replace just the swivel nuts, assuming the lugs on your current kit take standard swivel nuts.
Hmm. How do you replace the swivel nuts of a lug? How do they come out and go back in?

Frank

Gold Member
Just found a video on Youtube showing how this all works. I didn't realize there was a separate swivel nut inside the lug. Mine disassemble very easily. Now, if I can find replacement swivel nuts - and bolts - that are much higher quality, I'm onto something. Thank you.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Hmm. How do you replace the swivel nuts of a lug? How do they come out and go back in?
Take the heads off, unscrew the lugs, look inside the lug and you should be able to see the lug nuts. You can find them on-line at a few places. Clean the lug screws and put them back together. Much cheaper than replacing lugs, and much easier than finding lugs with the same hole pattern as was mentioned.

Frank

Gold Member
I'm definitely going to go the route of replacing the swivel nuts and tension rods. I don't think cleaning is the answer. I think this stuff is soft metal and stripped. I want to get some good stuff into those lugs.

Hi Frank, The guys are correct.
It is very costly to replace lugs and rods on a kit.
By The Way
What kit is it?
Show us some pics please.
Show us what is happening (The Problem) with the lug and rod hardware.

Perhaps a a clean/lube re-tap and re-thread on your inserts and rods,
and you would be good.

On the other hand,
I know that it's fun getting new stuff (LUGS) for your drums.
But after many years of doing this.
I have found, most of the time, it's not worth it.

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

Hi Frank, The guys are correct.
It is very costly to replace lugs and rods on a kit.
By The Way
What kit is it?
Show us some pics please.
Show us what is happening (The Problem) with the lug and rod hardware.

Perhaps a a clean/lube re-tap and re-thread on your inserts and rods,
and you would be good.

On the other hand,
I know that it's fun getting new stuff (LUGS) for your drums.
But after many years of doing this.
I have found, most of the time, it's not worth it.
I agree here. By the time you've spent the money on the parts, then the manual labor doing the work, you've basically bought a whole 'nother kit. You can get a really nice Pearl Decade Maple kit for under $700 these days, and the fit and finish on those are great. Never underestimate how much your time is worth. I normally think in terms of me getting paid at least $40 an hour to do this kind of work.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Then think in terms of my reaction when someone refers to the price of one of our $900 snare drums, that took 45 man hours to craft, as "obscene"!
Then those people you don't want to have playing your drums. Some people aren't meant to be your customers.

These are the same people who scream about ticket prices at Disneyland.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
As the others have said...price out what it's going to cost (estimate), add about 10% to the cost because there's always stupid expenses you don't expect pop up.

See if you could just buy another drum set for the same cost.

As a side note, I know a guy who builds drums. Instead of buying lugs all of the time, he scours Craigslist looking for cheap drum sets he can snag the lugs off of because buying a used drum set is worth it just for the lugs sometimes.

evilg99

Platinum Member
As the others have said...price out what it's going to cost (estimate), add about 10% to the cost because there's always stupid expenses you don't expect pop up.

As a side note, I know a guy who builds drums. Instead of buying lugs all of the time, he scours Craigslist looking for cheap drum sets he can snag the lugs off of because buying a used drum set is worth it just for the lugs sometimes.
Yup, I've done this exact thing myself a few times.
And you often get much more than just useable lugs - hoops, heads, tension rods, tom mounts, bass drum spurs, etc etc etc

opentune

Platinum Member

I've done this too, but you have to get old used drums that have lugs with hole spacings identical to ones you want to replace. Not always so easy.

Frank

Gold Member
Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm going to attempt to replace the swivel nuts and tension rods, and leave the lug housing there. To be continued.

Frank

Gold Member
I have successfully replaced the lug swivel nuts and tension rods. Wow - what a difference.

Thank you all for your help, especially those that cited swivel nut replacement. Been playing all my life, and I had no idea about:

- what is inside a lug

- that I could actually make a difference with higher quality swivel nuts and tension rods

- that I would ever care about such stuff.

My tuning journey has made a big difference and has led me to caring about lug quality. These swivel nuts and tension rods were the ticket. A low dollar, high yield improvement for me.