Waltzing into a studio Saturday

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I got a message from a friend of mine who plays in another gigging band around town two days ago. It was just this morning when I caught up with him. What he needs is a drummer to lay down country and western / country rock tracks for another friend of his making his debut CD. From my understanding, the rest of the tracks are complete except the drum tracks.

He had Drum Works and audio clips but didn't like the canned sounds, so he knew I played in several Texas bands and called me begging. LOL

I had to say yes, since a lot of us around town sub for each others' bands and this is a good way to stay "in the loop".

I'm to show up with a 4 piece and come up with the drum parts on several songs.

So, I'll report back in a bit and hopefully have some audio clips of my playing so it can be critiqued. That will help me in the long run.

Wish me luck. I'm stepping into this sort of cold turkey, but it should be FUN!

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
It went pretty smoothly. I got to his studio about 11:30 am Saturday and sat through this singer laying down his vocals on another song, so I had a chance to loosen up and chill for a while. From what I could tell, this guy was a pretty good singer - nice voice and he could hold a note, which is something a lot can't do. And he had a good vocal range.

I got my kit set up quickly and we tuned them to pitch, adjusted the mics and did the usual sound checks and level checks.

Still not having heard the song I was to play, I got sort of nervous when I started thinking about the whole process. They way it was supposed to done right, not like the last group I recorded in. The last group I recorded in, we recorded in a bar late at night and several band members had had way too much to drink, so this was a pleasant awakening to know these guys were totally serious.

Then I started worrying about if my drumming skills were up to par and could I perform what they wanted. You know, butterflies. Nervousness.

Once they played the recording of the song, I felt a lot better. Although the engineer had layed a drum track down from a drum machine, I was told I had freedom to "do whatever I wanted. Don't follow the track,"

Nice.

I played along to the song without the drum tracks and we discussed the characteristics of the song - turnarounds, creshendos, decreshendos, etc. The singer / songwriter I was playing for nodded in approval.

After getting my bearings, I told them I was ready to record.

I didn't play to a click track thank goodness, but simply played to the song and listened to the song and what the other instruments did. For the first rough cut, it went pretty good.

Then they played it back. Holy sh*t! Man, that is an awakening experience!! The recording don't lie!! I noticed immediately my bass was off a bit and I didn't like the bass line I layed down. My beat was slightly off. OK, things to improve on and fix immediately.

Second take, I blew it right in the middle of the song. Quit playing and had to start over.

The engineer adjusts a few things. We discuss the song.

Ok, third take. I'm now concentrating fully.

Third take ends and both the recording engineer and the singer / songwriter are smiling.

Whew!! OK, they liked it. I heard the recording engineer say "that's a take." The singer / songwriter agreed.

And danged if they didn't invite me back to play on the rest of the CD!! Whew!!
They liked my drumming. Got the gig!!

I pretty much was remembering everything I read on this site about drumming, recording, being professional, etc.

I didn't make a whole lot, but got the rest of the gig, possible future opportunities, and my NAME ON THE CD AS DRUMMER!!! WOOHOO!!

Thanks for letting me celebrate just a bit.