"Wake 'n Break" Series

kindbeats

Platinum Member
That’s dedication man. Kilin playing!
Thanks man! :)

Thank goodness it's Friday! The idea behind today's wake 'n break was to try and create a halftime backbeat that fits a traditional 6/8 rhythm (in this case, Bembe) over a 4/4 samba foot ostinato. Although everything syncs up fine, I definitely want to work on making the samba ostinato actually feel like a traditional samba (it's very stiff in this video). This will only happen with practice, so I'm looking forward to developing this groove a lot more. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4. Moving along to the ride bell, we have our bembe pattern falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, on the "trip" and "let" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has an accented note on 3, as well as ghost notes on the "trip" of 1, on 2, the "let" of 3, and on the "trip" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1636 - Fitting 6/8 Bembe Pattern Into A 4/4 Halftime Backbeat Over Samba Foot Ostinato

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a slow and slinky samba groove with ruffs before each accented tom note. Taking the feet first, we have the traditional samba ostinato with the bass drum falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4, as well as the hi-hats being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the high tom next, we have a note falling on 1 with a leading ruff on the snare, as well as notes on the "a" of 3 and on 4. Moving along to the floor tom, we have a single note on 2 with a leading ruff on the snare. Next, our snare drum has accented notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, our ride bell is falling on the "e" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1637 - Slow And Slinky Samba Groove With Ruffs

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
I was playing around with shuffles this morning and I decided to try and break the Rosanna shuffle up among the toms instead of on the snare drum. I've also been experimenting with tuning my floor tom as loose as it can possibly be without the tension rods rattling, hence the flat attack. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4, and this remains constant throughout both bars. Next, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "let" of 2, and on 4 in the first bar, and then on the "let" of 1 and on 3 in the second bar. Moving along to our floor tom, we have ghost notes falling on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, and on the "trip" of 4 in both bars. Last but not least, our high tom has accented notes on the 3 of each bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1638 - Breaking The Rosanna Shuffle Up Among The Toms (Extremely Loose Floor Tom)

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that utilizes a tiny coconut cuica over a boom chick backbeat with the backbeat being provided by the hi-hat chicks. I would have liked to have tried many more cuica ideas but within five minutes, it was so hot in my drum room that the skin was starting to get damp due to sweat, and that's a big no no when it comes to cuicas. Also, if you hear an odd bass-like wobble in the background, that would be my camera rattling against the platform it was resting on (it's never happened before). Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "&" of 3 in the first bar, and then on 1, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4 in the second bar. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are falling on 2 and 4 in both bars. Last but not least, the cuica has a steady slew of sixteenth notes throughout both bars, cycling through three different tones. No notation for this one because Imgur is currently down.

Wake n Break No. 1639 - Coconut Cuica Over A Boom Chick Backbeat On The Feet

kindbeats

Platinum Member
This morning, I woke up and found that a neighbor had left a tiny Meinl jingle piece tied to my door knob as a gift, so I decided to use it for today's wake 'n break. Starting with the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 3 while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on the "a" of 1, on 2, the "a" of 3, and on 4, followed by and sustained buzz stroke on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, we have a short 32nd note flurry played directly on the jingles that starts on the "&" of 2 and ends on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1640 - Boom Chick Groove With Jingles On The Snare Drum

I'm having trouble with imgur the past two days, so I will add the notation once I can upload it.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Happy Humpday (evening at this point)! 🐪Today's wake 'n break is a dirty two bar, sixteenth note groove that is pretty straight forward. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes falling on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" in both bars, with open notes falling on "3e&a" in the second bar. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "a" of 4 in both bars. Moving along to the snare drum, we have have accented notes on the "&" of 2 and on 4 in both bars. Last but not least, we have tom notes in the first bar, with the floor tom falling on 3 and the high tom falling on the "&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1641 - Dirty Two Bar Sixteenth Note Groove

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a four bar eighth note reggae groove with short crescendos on the hi-hats. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of eighth notes on "1&2&3&4&" in all four bars with an opening on the "&" of 4 in the fourth and final bar. There is also a slight crescendo on "1&2&" in all four bars. Next, our bass drum is falling on 3 in each bar, similar to a traditional one drop groove. Last but not least, we have our cross stick falling on "2&" and "4&" throughout all four bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1642 - Four Bar Reggae Groove With Slight Hi-Hat Crescendos

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Thank goodness it's Friday! Today's wake 'n break is a samba inspired groove with hi-hat openings on all of the downbeats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on "1e&", "2e&", "3e&", "4e&" with open notes on all of the downbeats (1, 2, 3, 4). Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on the "e" of 2 and on "4e&a". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1643 - Samba Bass Drum Pattern With Hi-Hat Openings On The Downbeats

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
I just got today's wake 'n break uploaded in the nick of time! I had to run out of the house extremely early this morning and wasn't really able to nail a groove down, so I looped this short phrase that I was able to fumble through. It's definitely rough! LOL It's kind of a mix of a halftime shuffle with a bit of stop time on the hi-hats. Sorry for not breaking this one down better!
I just got today's wake 'n break uploaded in the nick of time! I had to run out of the house extremely early this morning and wasn't really able to nail a groove down, so I looped this short phrase that I was able to fumble through. It's definitely rough! LOL It's kind of a mix of a halftime shuffle with a bit of stop time on the hi-hats. Sorry for not breaking this one down better!

Wake n Break No. 1644 - Rough Short Loop From This Morning (Rushed Out of The House For A Gig)

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar swing groove in 6/4 and it is played with brushes. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on the 1 of both bars while our hi-hats are being chicked on 2, 4, and 6. Moving along to the snare, we a typical "stirring the soup" type of brush groove laying underneath. Finally, we have accents on the snare with notes falling on the "&" of 2, "5&", and on the "&" of 6 in the first bar, followed by accented notes on the "&" of 2, the "&" of 4, and on 5 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and that you had a great weekend. Much love!

Wake n Break No. 1645 - Swung Two Bar Brush Groove In 6/4

Supernoodle

Happy Humpday! 🐪 Today's wake 'n break is a busy two bar groove with a lot of the action happening on the snare drum and ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, and on the "e" of 2 in both bars. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "e" of 2, and on 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1 and the "&a" of 1, and on the "e" of 2 in the second bar. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum, where we have accented notes falling on the "&" of 2 and on 4, with ghost notes on the "e" of 1, on 2 and the "a" of 2, on "3e&a", and on the "e&a" of 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1634 - Two Bar Ride Groove With A Busy Snare Drum

Notation available at:
freaky! that's a killer...

kindbeats

Platinum Member
A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a two bar boom chick groove that utilizes a mounted tamborim. The main groove remains the same but I took the liberty of playing around with different tom phrases in between (I'll be breaking it down with the first tom phrase). Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "a" of 2, and 3 in both bars, while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the tamborim next, we have sixteenth note triplets (counted: 1 trip let & trip let) falling on "1 trip let & trip let", "2 trip let & trip let", on "3e" and the "a" of 3, the "e" and "a" of 4 in the first bar, followed by notes on the "e" and "a" of 1, and on "2&" in the second bar. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes falling on 2 and 4 in both bars. Last but not least, we come to the toms in the second bar, where our floor tom is falling on the "&a" of 2 and on 3 and the "&" of 3, and our high tom is falling on the "e" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1646 - Boom Chick Backbeat With Tamborim Triplets

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
freaky! that's a killer...
I'm glad you liked it!

Today's wake 'n break is a busy backbeat that is broken up among the entire drum set and I am once again playing around with tamborim ideas, this time with the tamborim resting on top of the floor tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e&a", 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "a" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and 4. Next, our tamborim is falling on the "&a" of 2 and on 3. Last but not least, our floor tom is falling on the "a" of 3 and our high tom is falling on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1647 - Busy Backbeat With A Tamborim On The Floor Tom

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Happy Humpday! 🐪 Today's wake 'n break is a slow and slinky two bar shuffle with a slight staggered feel on the bass drum. Taking our hi-hats first, we have notes falling on all of the downbeats as well as on the "let" of each downbeat. We basically have an implied quarter note pulse thanks to open cymbal accents on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Looking at our bass drum next, we have notes falling on each down beat and the "let" of each downbeat in the first bar, and then notes on the "trip" of 1 and on the "let" of 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on 2 and 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1648 - Slow And Slinky Shuffle With Slightly Staggered Bass Drum

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove where have a soft snare drum phrase in the first bar, followed by a louder snare phrase response in the second bar. Taking our feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&" and on the "&" of 3 in both bars while our hi-hats are being flanged on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, we have our snare drum. In the first bar, we have notes falling on "2e&a" and on 3 with flam taps on 2 and 3, as well as a short roll lick (similar to the intro to every Bob Marley song known to man) with an accent on the "&" of 4. Finally, the second bar has the same exact snare phrase, only played much louder. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1649 - Two Bar Groove With A Soft And Loud Call & Response On The Snare

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar soca groove with a few ghost notes sprinkled in on the snare. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in both bars. Next, our hi-hats are falling on "1&", "2e", on "3&", and on "4e" with open notes on the "e" of 2 and on the "e" of 4 in both bars. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have accented notes on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1, the "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "a" of 4. Finally, the second bar has accents in the same place as well as two additional accented notes on the "e" and "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Sorry but I didn't have time to notate this one today.

Wake n Break No. 1650 - Two Bar Soca Groove With Anticipated Hat Openings & A Few Ghost Notes Sprinkled In On The Snare

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a backbeat where the snare drum is being ridden instead of a cymbal. Looking at our feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "e" of 2, on "3e&a", and on the "e" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being flanged on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, we have a steady stream of single handed sixteenth notes on the snare with flams on 2 and 4 to drive the backbeat home. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1651 - Flammed Backbeat With Ridden Snare Drum And Flanged Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
I hope everyone had a great Sunday Drumday! My set is currently packed up from yesterday's gig, so I had fun this morning with a tiny set of ogene, a super tiny maraca (there may be all of two beads inside at most), and a set of jingles that I wrapped around my arm. Throughout the groove, you can hear the higher pitched bell voicing a 2/3 son clave (it starts to really make its presence known at around :15 seconds in). This groove utilizes a turning or flipping motion to achieve a flam effect across the two bells, similar to the way you would turn over a tamborim. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1652 - 2/3 Clave Groove For Ogene & Maraca With Flipped Flams

Also, sorry for the weird spectral glare showing up on the bottom of the screen. One of my lights must have been partially shining on the lens.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Since my drums are still packed up, today's wake 'n break is a two bar and two handed drum 'n bass groove for my tamborim machine. Taking my right hand first, we have notes falling on "1&2&3&4&" throughout both bars. Meanwhile, the left hand is falling on 2 and the "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "&" of 4 in the first bar, and then on the "e" of 1, on 2 and the "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1653 - Two Handed Drum 'N Bass Groove For Tamborica

Notation available at: