Vintage Slingerland Restoration

Silverfox

Greetings, one and all. After selling my previous kit (a Sonor Force 3007) due to gradual dissatisfaction with the red and black fade finish and numerous other things, I acquired some orphaned 60s 3-ply Slingerland shells, with the intention to re-wrap them and install new hardware. Here's the breakdown:

22 x 14 bass drum
13 x 9 tom
16 x 16 floor tom

The bass drum has holes for a rail consolette and ride cymbal boom that I'll likely leave unpatched, even though I have no intention on using them. I might get replicas of the bases of the mounts, if I can find them somewhere. If not, I'll just patch the holes with wood putty and be done with it. Finding the proper spurs for the bass drum is also quite difficult. It seems that all of the replica ones have improper hole configurations, and I don't want to have to do any unnecessary drilling to my bass drum.

The 13 x 9 tom apparently started its life as a concert tom, and the previous owner had a lower set of lugs drilled and a second bearing edge cut, The mounting holes were patched and re-drilled a bit lower. The holes are vertically positioned, above-center, and not the normal diamond shaped position that complements the Slingerland mounting plate. I think I may just patch these with wood putty and place my tom in a snare stand as I usually do, or use RIMS mounts.

As far as the wrap goes, I've narrowed it down to either green sparkle or turquoise sparkle. I absolutely love both colours to death, and it's been killing me trying to decide which one I want to go for. Green is an original Slingerland colour, whereas turquoise is not, so I'd assume it would hold more value than turquoise in the unlikely event that I'd eventually decide to sell the drums.

On the other hand, I intend on forming a band soon and using these drums for live situations. I really want them to feel like they're my drums, so they have to be special and somewhat unique. As much as I've always wanted green sparkle shells, the thought of them being the "Bonham" colour kind of turns me away from doing that. My playing style is already heavily influenced by Bonham, so I feel that I need drums that separate me from being "another Bonham fan" so to speak. Seeing this and realizing that these could be my drums is just so tempting, though. :(

http://www.vintagedrumjunkies.com/slingerland/Slinggreen66.JPG

I've seen some awesome things done with turquoise sparkle. After asking various friends and acquaintances their thoughts on which colour would look better on drums, most of them told me turquoise. Seeing this kit especially makes me want to go with chrome hoops--something I never thought I'd even think about doing. Normally metal hoops look awful to me, but they look so incredible with that wrap. I'd definitely do it.

http://www.jamminsam.com/images/stories/drumwraps/turquoisesparkleset2js.jpg

Next come the lugs. I'm still deciding if I want to just get sound king replica lugs, or go with tube lugs. Slingerland replica lugs are about $2 something on drumfactorydirect, but I've heard that the chrome isn't quite as thick as the originals. Another thought is that over time, chrome encounters pitting but tube lugs are so small that it's hardly noticeable on them. Tube lugs would age better, but in the short to medium term, the sound king lugs would have that vintage look that just scream "I'm a Slingerland" to whomever sees the drums. One thing that might be an issue with tube lugs is that I don't think anyone makes them with the 2 7/32" sound king spacing, which is what my bass drum has. I kind of have a hunch that 2 3/16" lugs will fit though, since that's only a 1/64" difference per hole. If I do go with tube lugs, it'll probably be these since they have these nifty little art deco patterns on them that set them apart from the usual bland tube lugs.

http://www.drumfoundry.com/p-3034-df-tube-lug-2-3-16-chrome-ltb017chr-double-ended.aspx

If I do decide to go with these tube lugs, I'd imagine I could just use double-ended lugs as single-ended ones, right? It's all they apparently have in the 2 3/16 size, and I've never been much of a fan of lugs that extend across the entire surface of the drums. I still have to decide if I want to do tube lugs or sound kings, though. I'd probably only consider the tube lugs if I'd go with turquoise. They just seem to be fitting for that colour, for some reason.

Some say I'm too analytical over these things, but ah well. ;)

john gerrard

As far as wraps go, I believe that just because you have a green sparkle kit doesn't mean that you are a Bonham copy, especially with the sizes you have. I vote for the green. Even if you go for the turquoise please stay with wood hoops to me the chrome hoops cheapen the kit. Good luck with your kit. John

Silverfox

As far as wraps go, I believe that just because you have a green sparkle kit doesn't mean that you are a Bonham copy, especially with the sizes you have. I vote for the green.
The sizes I have are exactly the same as Bonham's Slingerland kit that he used on the first tour, and on the first album. If I made mine green sparkle, it would be identical to his kit.

Even if you go for the turquoise please stay with wood hoops to me the chrome hoops cheapen the kit. Good luck with your kit. John
How do they cheapen the kit? There's little to no audible difference between wood hoops and metal hoops. Aesthetically, they'd actually complement turquoise better than the wood hoops I already have. I like having redundant components to change things up from time-to-time.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That size config was standard for the day. Bonham was playing an off the rack kit at that time.
If you like green sparkle then wrap them in green sparkle.
If you are not going to use the rail consolette tom mount then fill the holes in the bass drum.
Fill the holes in the mounted tom and use a modern isolation mount too. The tom will really sing with a modern mount. The new Ludwig Atlas mounts are also an alternative to consider.
They will adjust to fit the lug hole pattern of your Slingy's. Hang the tom from a cymbal stand with an L rod clamp.
Chrome hoops are a good idea, Drumfactory has 2.3mm flanged replicas of the Slingerland Stick Saver hoops. I use them on my Ludwig Club Date SE kit and they are really nice.
Select whatever bass drum spurs that you like and go with them. Fill the holes that you don't use for the spurs. The new Lugwig Atlas spurs/lugs are also an option.
Make that kit your own and have fun with it :)
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I just thought that I would share a few of my Ideas with you.
Links to the Lugwig mounts and spurs. http://compare.ebay.com/like/300953366549?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
http://youtu.be/jKNitED-XBs
I am using the new Atlas mounts on my vintage Keystone kit to hang the toms and they work great.
Don't forget, the new Ludwig mounts adjust to fit different lug hole patterns.

Last edited:

opentune

Platinum Member
The sizes I have are exactly the same as Bonham's Slingerland kit that he used on the first tour, and on the first album. If I made mine green sparkle, it would be identical to his kit.
Not that it matters, he used Slingerland (with Supra snare) only for the very 1st tour, through Scandinavia, Aug to Dec 1968, but after that, all Ludwig, including recording of Led Zep I.

http://american-music.forum-actif.eu/t2144-pictures-at-eleven-led-zeppelin-en-photos

Both those wraps you show are really nice. I'd go with blue. As for lugs, I like tube lugs, but I'd stay true to original Slingerland lugs, which are pretty well made. You can get sets of 8, 16 etc. on ebay, not cheap, but they are a better investment for the vintage drums. I had to do the same for orphaned Slingy shells I have.

Silverfox

I like solid colours, mostly. The last set of drums I had was a 9 piece Sonor 3007 in cherry fade, but I got sick of it eventually.

Not that it matters, he used Slingerland (with Supra snare) only for the very 1st tour, through Scandinavia, Aug to Dec 1968, but after that, all Ludwig, including recording of Led Zep I.

http://american-music.forum-actif.eu/t2144-pictures-at-eleven-led-zeppelin-en-photos

Both those wraps you show are really nice. I'd go with blue. As for lugs, I like tube lugs, but I'd stay true to original Slingerland lugs, which are pretty well made. You can get sets of 8, 16 etc. on ebay, not cheap, but they are a better investment for the vintage drums. I had to do the same for orphaned Slingy shells I have.
I was thinking about getting these replica lugs, mostly for aesthetic purposes.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2311:23cbf0c959d89cdd6275aadf9fd641f7

I could always get different kinds of lugs, and just swap them out whenever I get bored of one kind. The only thing that's really permanent is my drilling/patching choice, but I've decided that I'm not going to tamper with the bass drum holes at all. I'll probably just temporarily use rim-mounted spurs until I can find the original kind. It's always nice having backup hardware and additional options. But yeah, if I can find some shiny original lugs, I'll get them.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Bonhams Slingy kit was black diamond pearl,not green sparkle,which he used with both a Ludwig 5x15 supra and a 5x14 Ludwig universal COB with tube lugs

His first green sparkle kit was 22/13/16/5x14 supra,which was pre Ludwig endorsement deal.

His next green sparkle kit was 26/14/16/18 6.5x14 supra.post Ludwig endorsement deal

Steve B

Silverfox

That size config was standard for the day. Bonham was playing an off the rack kit at that time.
If you like green sparkle then wrap them in green sparkle.
If you are not going to use the rail consolette tom mount then fill the holes in the bass drum.
Fill the holes in the mounted tom and use a modern isolation mount too. The tom will really sing with a modern mount. The new Ludwig Atlas mounts are also an alternative to consider.
They will adjust to fit the lug hole pattern of your Slingy's. Hang the tom from a cymbal stand with an L rod clamp.
Chrome hoops are a good idea, Drumfactory has 2.3mm flanged replicas of the Slingerland Stick Saver hoops. I use them on my Ludwig Club Date SE kit and they are really nice.
Select whatever bass drum spurs that you like and go with them. Fill the holes that you don't use for the spurs. The new Lugwig Atlas spurs/lugs are also an option.
Make that kit your own and have fun with it :)
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I just thought that I would share a few of my Ideas with you.
Links to the Lugwig mounts and spurs. http://compare.ebay.com/like/300953366549?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
http://youtu.be/jKNitED-XBs
I am using the new Atlas mounts on my vintage Keystone kit to hang the toms and they work great.
Don't forget, the new Ludwig mounts adjust to fit different lug hole patterns.
Thank you for the great post. The Atlas spurs definitely solve the problem of me not being able to find any original spurs for sale anywhere. I may as well just fill in the unused holes with wood putty, since it doesn't seem like I'll be able to find the rail mount anywhere. If I somehow do manage to find that stuff eventually, and decide to sell my kit for whatever reason, I could always just re-drill the filled in holes. I guess I don't need everything to be original. I'm going to make these drums my own.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
You're welcome; Once you remove the original wrap from a vintage drum kit and rewrap them you are making them into what is known as a "players kit". This means that they will never be a "collectors kit".
Usually this is done because the drums are no longer in collectors condition to begin with. In your case they are orphan drums that don't match.
You might as well alter the drums as you see fit to suite your needs because it won't affect the value.
If you sell the kit after you have finished filling the holes and rewrapping it, it will be worth just a little more than what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Silverfox

I keep having dreams about having a green sparkle kit. It seems like in the mornings after I have those dreams, I want green sparkle badly, then as the day goes on I want turquiose sparkle and can't possibly imagine why I'd ever want green. I hate having dreams about drums because they usually involve me having awesome kits with 26" bass drums and 20" floor toms. :(