Vinnie Colaiuta Recording "Manic Depression"

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I haven't seen that before....thanks for posting.

Watching Vinnie play anything is enough to get the heart racing......watching him play Hendrix.......that's like a slice of heaven!!

Great stuff.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
I'm surprised that clip is still floating around.
It was on youtube for a while but word has it VC had it shut down.

Supposedly he was uncomfortable with his playing...go figure.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
I'm surprised that clip is still floating around.
It was on youtube for a while but word has it VC had it shut down.

Supposedly he was uncomfortable with his playing...go figure.
I believe that, I can see a few spots where he was thinking more than playing. I don't think it was BAD by ANY stretch, but I can see why HE would want a do over.

Why settle for 99.99999999% when you are Vinnie and can nail 100%???

dairyairman

Platinum Member
that was certainly very impressive and there was some unbelievable playing in there, but i didn't really like some of things he was doing. for my taste, there was too much crazy syncopation going on for that song. for example, that pattern he was playing on the ride cymbal bell was a little distracting, and some of his fills were just wildly syncopated to the point of distraction. if this was done as a showcase for his drumming skills then i'll allow it, but otherwise i don't know.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I believe that, I can see a few spots where he was thinking more than playing. I don't think it was BAD by ANY stretch, but I can see why HE would want a do over.

Why settle for 99.99999999% when you are Vinnie and can nail 100%???
Good point. Although imagine pulling that off and then not being happy with it! Shows the huge difference between Vinnie and the rest of us mere mortals.

The more I see him, the more I'm convinced there is NOTHING he can't do. If he was unhappy with that, then I'd dearly love to get my hands on the next take!!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
that was certainly very impressive and there was some unbelievable playing in there, but i didn't really like some of things he was doing. for my taste, there was too much crazy syncopation going on for that song. for example, that pattern he was playing on the ride cymbal bell was a little distracting, and some of his fills were just wildly syncopated to the point of distraction. if this was done as a showcase for his drumming skills then i'll allow it, but otherwise i don't know.
It's interesting you raise the point about the bell ride. I thought the same thing but then put it down to the drums being so much higher in that mix than they would be in any other situation. I wondered if the mix highlighted sections that would normally have blended in and come across as being a lot less intrusive.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
I think when you hire Vinnie the crazy syncopated phrasing is probably what the producer was lookin for cause thats what Vinnie can do.

The beauty of VC is he can give you an all out chopfest or layback and play pocket groove.

I thought it kicked ass....he took some chances that seem to work.
Kinda why I'm not sure what VC was unhappy with.