Video Taping Rehearsals/Practice Sessions

brady

Platinum Member
I just received the Zoom Q3HD and love it. The sound quality is amazing. I bought it so we can record our performances for us to review/critique later.

We had a rehearsal the day that I got it (don't have a tripod for it, yet), and I just turned it on and set it on a shelf. I was amazed at the sound quality, since when we rehearse the only vocals in the room come from a floor monitor set up for the singer to hear himself (there's enough bounceback off the ceiling and walls that everyone else can hear him, too). It has a stereo mic, so there was pretty good stereo separation and panning around the room,

With a tripod and experimenting with camera placement, I think I can get some really good rehearsal videos.
This.

I just got a Q3 last month. It's an excellent recorder at a great price. Check out all the reviews for it online. I bought mine for about $200.

It will totally change the way you practice/rehearse. Audio doesn't lie.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I just received the Zoom Q3HD and love it. The sound quality is amazing. I bought it so we can record our performances for us to review/critique later.

We had a rehearsal the day that I got it (don't have a tripod for it, yet), and I just turned it on and set it on a shelf. I was amazed at the sound quality, since when we rehearse the only vocals in the room come from a floor monitor set up for the singer to hear himself (there's enough bounceback off the ceiling and walls that everyone else can hear him, too). It has a stereo mic, so there was pretty good stereo separation and panning around the room,

With a tripod and experimenting with camera placement, I think I can get some really good rehearsal videos.

RRHarding

KG, I'm digging the YouTube vid, man! Thanks for the heads up and I will check out that Kodak. The price is right and the sound quality isn't distorted and definitely good enough to help increase the productivity of my practice/rehearsal time.

Still hoping more peops might chime in here with good products and/or methods of recording drums for self evaluation. I'm in Oregon right now visiting family so I'm hopin to pick something up before I leave so there's no sales tax ; )

Rory

RRHarding

That's an excellent suggestion ThatOneGuy and one that I employ with three mirrors in front of my kit and one in front of my practice pad. I like the suggestion about different angles too. I'll try workin with a few others too.

T

thatoneguy

I always recommend practicing in front of a mirror. Standing up with a pad so you can walk back and forth getting good looks from different angles of the inside and outside of each hand in action.

Kg_lee

I use a kodak Zi8. I took this video standing in front of the speakers and it compressed the volume. Also beautiful HD picture, This cost about $150 new. I got mine slightly used on ebay for $70. It also has a mic input, so I mix music and mic my drums for youtube video's as well. You could also tape a feed of the output of the mixing board in a live situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntu9Ax8NE1k

youtube video with mixer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUegAWjQd1c

RRHarding

Hello all, I am searching for a video recorder in order to tape myself practicing in my studio at home as well as rehearsals and performances with others. The two types of groups I play with currently are jazz combos and prog rock (a la bruford/crimson).

I don't have an unlimited budget but could spend up to $1,000 if there is a really stand out product. I searched Consumer Reports. Org but it didn't really help because the reviewers don't record under these conditions.

Who out there has recorded or currently records themselves playing/rehearsing and can recommend methods/products/techniques to get the most out of this? My primary concern is sound quality, that and the ability to save past sessions on my external hard drive.

Any advice/comments/suggestions are much appreciated by me. Thank you!
Rory Harding (Milwaukee, WI)