Video Camera Advice

MikeM

Platinum Member
I want to get me one of these gizmos so I can become a famous YouTube drummer!

Haha, okay maybe not.

But I do want one and don't know what to look for. I hear a lot about the Zoom something or others with a Q somewhere in the name, but I also remember reading on here that the new ones don't have a line in jack for playing along to pre-recorded material. Is that true? If not, which ones do?

So what's the deal? What are you guys all using for the vids you make and post?

Thanks!

M

Matt Bo Eder

I do mine as a two-step recording. I'm recording audio via my MacBook and USB interface, and the video is recorded by either my Zoom Q3HD, or my Canon DSLR shooting in video mode.

Once done with the recording, I dump both files into the computer, and sync them up in iMovie, do other editing, and then it's on to YouTube.

I've never been successful at trying to mix the audio into a video recording, so it's just easier for me this way.

I think Andy does his stuff live, he should chime in here.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I record in audio in Garageband and video with my iPhone. In Garageband, I click "show video track" and drag my iPhone's video into that track. After I've lined things up, I mute the iPhone's audio.

If I had more than one camera, I'd probably use iMovie.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I record in audio in Garageband and video with my iPhone. In Garageband, I click "show video track" and drag my iPhone's video into that track. After I've lined things up, I mute the iPhone's audio.

Hey I'm gonna try that! Sounds less clunky than using iMovie. So I take it I can plug my iPhone to my mac, and literally just drag video out of it and onto the GB screen? Or is there more to that process?

tcspears

Gold Member
Have you looked into GoPros? I really don't know much about videography at all, but I've used a gopro for mountain biking and taping clips or performances. The picture is amazingly clear and records in higher than HD resolution. You'd just want to record the sound through something else, which is probably the same with any video camera.

As a bonus the GoPro is practically indestructible, for those gigs where you are underwater, or are outside in extreme weather events! :)

MikeM

Platinum Member
I do mine as a two-step recording. I'm recording audio via my MacBook and USB interface, and the video is recorded by either my Zoom Q3HD, or my Canon DSLR shooting in video mode.

Once done with the recording, I dump both files into the computer, and sync them up in iMovie, do other editing, and then it's on to YouTube.

I've never been successful at trying to mix the audio into a video recording, so it's just easier for me this way.

I think Andy does his stuff live, he should chime in here.
So what program are you using on your Mac if not Garage Band? I have a MacBook Pro as well, and an audio interface, so this could work.

Man, that sounds like doing it on the cheap, and I could do that now with what I've got. How do you prop up your phone?

I was kinda hoping for a one-step process where I could run a line in for audio while being able to capture the mic recordings at the same time.

I'm thinking it will be used primarily for taking to gigs. I imagine it would be tricky propping up an iphone in that environment and I would rather not drag my laptop to shows.

M

Matt Bo Eder

So what program are you using on your Mac if not Garage Band? I have a MacBook Pro as well, and an audio interface, so this could work.

Man, that sounds like doing it on the cheap, and I could do that now with what I've got. How do you prop up your phone?

I was kinda hoping for a one-step process where I could run a line in for audio while being able to capture the mic recordings at the same time.

I'm thinking it will be used primarily for taking to gigs. I imagine it would be tricky propping up an iphone in that environment and I would rather not drag my laptop to shows.
I record into GarageBand, then mix the two in iMovie. I think KamaKs idea is something I'm going to try.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
you're either going to want to do video and audio separately OR get a camera with an input for a microphone, most of the cameras don't have that great of built in microphones especially for something as loud as drums.

I've done the video and audio separately and it's not very difficult I used a cheap HD flip camera and a digital multi track recorder, the hardest part was lining the video and audio up together. I just uploaded the audio into garageband and put a little EQ on it and leveled everything out then uploaded the video to iMovie and went from there.

BUT the more expensive GoPro cameras have an input for a mic and I'm sure that other cameras do too, I'm really pissed that the new GoPro action camera ($129) doesn't have a mic input!

Good luck!

porter

Platinum Member
I've heard good things about the Zoom H4n. Personally I would get an audio-only device like that and do the video separately as 1) combined AV devices generally aren't good at both and 2) optimal placement for audio recording and video recording are very different concepts and hard to match up.

For cymbal demos, though, I use a terrible-video, okay-audio combined AV device, trim/resize/color correct in a lightweight program called Avidemux (since I'm on a mac), and upload it straight to youtube.

For more thoughtful productions I record the audio multitrack and film with a few different cameras (using as many iPhones as I can because they have fantastic video quality and are quite reliable), sync the recorded audio with the song in the DAW (having played it to a metronome'd version of the song), put that combined audio and all the footage into After Effects and sync it all up, color-correct it all and add a title card, use the trim tool to choose when I cut between angles, and finally export it to HD video and upload it.

Then I make a corny thread about it on Drummerworld with my name early in the title so people know which chumhole is self-promoting and click on it, and then kick back and let my artificial house intelligence tell me about the millions I'm making in ad revenue.

adamosmianski

I use a Canon DSLR for the video.

For the audio I use a Zoom H2. If it needs mixed a bit I take it to Garageband first.

Either way, when the audio is done I drop it, and the video, into iMovie. Sync, edit, post.

Simples.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks for the tips, drum bros!

Seems like the two-step process of combining audio and video after the fact is what I'm looking at.

Still, what's the cheap and easy method for using the iPhone for doing video? Is there some kind of stand you use to aim it securely? Must be some way to get it up on a tripod.

porter

Platinum Member
There seem to be a lot of assorted tripod mounts around, like this one. Honestly I just put it on a music stand and it's wide enough for the camera to stick up above the lip of the stand. Then I'll put the stand up on a box or something if it's not high enough.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hey I'm gonna try that! Sounds less clunky than using iMovie. So I take it I can plug my iPhone to my mac, and literally just drag video out of it and onto the GB screen? Or is there more to that process?
The movie ends up in "Photos" when I sync my phone. I just drag it to GBand and line it up. After it's lined up, I usually mute the audio from the movie track.

Note: You need to enable/show the movie track first (Track/Show Movie Track)

bud7h4

Silver Member
I realy like the entry level GoPro. The wide angle gets everything you need in frame, and it's fantastic in low light situations which is great for indoors.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Have you looked into GoPros? I really don't know much about videography at all, but I've used a gopro for mountain biking and taping clips or performances. The picture is amazingly clear and records in higher than HD resolution. You'd just want to record the sound through something else, which is probably the same with any video camera.

As a bonus the GoPro is practically indestructible, for those gigs where you are underwater, or are outside in extreme weather events! :)
I think the high frame rate would be a huge bonus for syncing audio and video.

LEDRUSH

I use my Galaxy Note 2 for my Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChDNQjGJ1f9oITgjx8aWF8g) channel. I recently got a Gopro but it shoots in a fish-eye as a default setting. I am told I can click "remove fish-eye" in their editor but wouldn't you know it? When I open it up there is no "remove fish-eye" option for some reason. LoL. So as soon as I have the patients I will tackle that,

MikeM

Platinum Member
Thanks for all the tips, all.

I ended getting the Zoom Q4 since any Zoom seemed like the obvious choice from an audio perspective. Used it at a dinky dive bar gig the other night (Taco Tuesday!) and the audio was pretty good but it didn't do that great under the low light conditions. Not surprising since that squared with the reviews I read on it. Not real post-worthy, but not useless either.

I'll get it to my practice space this weekend and see how it does there. Maybe I'll do some campy drum covers!