Vibration/hand fatigue

Iarecobra

Looking for advice with vibration and hand fatigue. It gets to the point where I can’t make it through 2-3 songs without feeling hand fatigue. I’ve tried different techniques. Loosened my grip. Different sized sticks. Grip tape. Wrist wraps. Been to the doc and all Checks out.

Considering gloves and Ahead Sticks.

Anything else I haven’t tried?

Iarecobra

Used to be a full time drummer. Took a step back because of hand fatigue. Just recently started to pick it up again after a couple years. But still experiencing fatigue due to vibrations.

picodon

Silver Member
Used to be a full time drummer. Took a step back because of hand fatigue. Just recently started to pick it up again after a couple years. But still experiencing fatigue due to vibrations.
OK but how many hours?
If you play 15 mins a week you don't play enough.
If you play 15 hours a week you play too much.
Anywhere in between you're doing something wrong.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Without video, I'll try a stab: It sounds like a technique thing where the stick is held like a hammer handle, or similarly, and way too much stick vibration is getting transferred to the hand and arm. Not good.

If that's the case, then the solution is to hold the stick away from the palm with the fingers, so the fingers act as shock absorbers. A technique change. If you use your elbow with every hi hat hit for instance, that technique probably has to go too. Hit up Bill Bachman, a member here. He is a pro who can teach you great technique.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I used to have issues with hand fatigue. I was doing this ever-so-slight adjustment of sticks in my hand, especially after any rolls. The sticks sorta creeped forward ever so slightly. My hands would cramp after an extended set and be tired by 3rd set. I switched to Regal Tip sticks and the fatigue and cramps in fingers ended. They have a special finish. They don't slide. It's a subtle change but it works.

Iarecobra

I don’t believe it’s my technique. I’m not gripping hard or hitting hard. Even with a light grip and playing softly my hands still cramp up.

Iarecobra

OK but how many hours?
If you play 15 mins a week you don't play enough.
If you play 15 hours a week you play too much.
Anywhere in between you're doing something wrong.

I used to practice once a week for a couple hours. With shows 2-3 times a month before the cramping got so bad I had to step down.

Just started back up again and I’m easing myself back into it with short sessions of about 30 mins.

Should also note I’ve been playing drums for about 20 years.

IBitePrettyHard

Iarecobra

Do you get cramps while doing other activities like carrying groceries or climbing stairs? If so, it could be a cardiovascular issue, a lack of electrolytes, a potassium deficiency, side-effects from medication...something like that.

If it turns out to be a physiological problem, not your technique, then these Zildjian Anti-vibe sticks should help.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Stick5AWA--zildjian-5awa-5a-hickory-anti-vibe-drumsticks-wood-tip

My hands will cramp up if I’m using a screwdriver. Or a ratchet for extended periods of time. I have been to the Doc with no issues found.

IBitePrettyHard

My hands will cramp up if I’m using a screwdriver. Or a ratchet for extended periods of time. I have been to the Doc with no issues found.
DEFINITELY a health-related issue. Possibly a vitamin deficiency, or side effects from Adderall/Ritalin just to name a few. Maybe see a nutritionist or cardiologist?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
DEFINITELY a health-related issue. Possibly a vitamin deficiency, or side effects from Adderall/Ritalin just to name a few. Maybe see a nutritionist or cardiologist?
I was thinking this as well. I take Young Living Essential Oil supplements every day and every night. I didn't think they did anything, so I quit taking them at one point, and after a couple of weeks I was wondering why I felt like the Tin Man. If I go off of them for a couple of weeks and get them out of my system, I can definitely tell.

I'd look into taking some sort of supplements that help with joints, tendons, muscles, etc. Give it a couple of weeks and see if you can tell a difference. I'd also try gloves.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..If you play 15 hours a week you play too much..

To play a little more than 2 hours a day is not too much at all, but actually the amount of time you at least need to play and study if you really want to become a decent drummer at one moment..

That said, as almost always, just go to a quality drum teacher and let him or her look how you play..

A quality teacher will see immediately what your problem is about and how to solve that..

Last edited:

picodon

Silver Member
I thought it could be too much because he said he recently picked it up again.

I'd try a different doc. Or two. If your hand cramps up just using a screwdriver, it can't be just the drumming.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Get yourself checked out by a neuroligist for Focal Hand Dystonia. A friend of mine retired from drumming due to this.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Did you see a General practitioner or an Ortho guy (not all Docs are equal)? It could be Hand-Arm-Vibration Syndrome (sometimes Carpal Tunnel coexist with it) Yeah it's a real thing.