Vibes playing vid

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Here's a video I made so you can actually hear the vibraphone.

I like it more than keyboards...right now.... on a strictly 'how much I enjoy playing it' basis. Keyboards are infinitely more versatile. But I realized that using the sticks is a big part of the enjoyment of drumming for me. Like congas do not beckon me.

When the vibes have to go away, I think my interest in piano will replace it. But right now, it's just more fun picking out melodies on the vibes. It must be a combination of the using sticks, plus it's a drumming challenge to land the sticks on, not between, the bars, plus I have actual notes to work with....all of them! That I don't have to tune, and struggle to pull a good tone from, and replace the heads!..... OMG and that hypnotic tone. Even though I can't do nice chords on vibes like piano.

On stage, nothing tops king drumset though. Like I don't know that I would want to be a vibe player onstage. It's great fun at home though. GREAT for stick accuracy and playing smoothly and melodically, and a really engaging and fun diversion. Plus I feel it can only benefit my drumming. But onstage, if I can't play a bass drum, snare and hat, I'm just not that interested in being up there.

http://youtu.be/gQz9BdgFqmE

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah! I'm getting into that vibe (see what I did there ;) Thanks for the low notes Larry. I was interested to hear the timbre of the low notes. I was kind of expecting the big timbral change you get with a marimba for example, but aside from pitch, it was all pretty consistent.

Such a cool toy :)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Wonderful stuff. What a neat instrument. It's even a little bit classy.

Peace and love.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yeah! I'm getting into that vibe (see what I did there ;) Thanks for the low notes Larry. I was interested to hear the timbre of the low notes. I was kind of expecting the big timbral change you get with a marimba for example, but aside from pitch, it was all pretty consistent.

Such a cool toy :)
It's more fun playing a vibe than listening to one. You'll see when you get here. Tonally, it's silky smooth across the board. It's a 3 octave, which I think is standard. Like when I'm at the lowest note, I am craving even lower notes, but they just aren't there. Same with the higher register. A 5 octave vibe would be the shiz.

They really are a time sink lol.

Thanks Kamak.

Ian, my son and I have craved vibes for many years now as well. It was totally out of the blue when he told me he pulled the trigger on a wonderful condition vintage set of vibes. The law of karmic returns has temporarily shined itself upon me, and I am so grateful for this rare opportunity to have a real set of gorgeous vibes in my only truly happy place in the world, my studio.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Like when I'm at the lowest note, I am craving even lower notes, but they just aren't there. Same with the higher register. A 5 octave vibe would be the shiz.
Pedal Bass..

I once saw a one-man show featuring a saxophonist with one of these babies. Awesome.

Mike Stand

Silver Member
Yep, there's something very attractive about vibes. An inherently musical percussion instrument.

LLAP Larry

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Awwwwwww...I want one!!!!

And just so you know, I tripped over the ottoman when you played the Dick Van Dyke theme.

J

Jazz Man

NICE!!

I've been wanting a set of those babies for years.

I heard somewhere that Larry Bunker used to play the vibes.
It can only help make for better drumming for sure.

I'm taking baby steps on the piano while continuing to learn Jazz on the kit.
It's nice to have something fun to look forward to.