Very Close To Pulling the Trigger on a Yamaha Stage Custom - Somoene Convice Out of It

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey guys, I know I've posted three or four threads in the past six months or so about new kits and whatnot, and I had decided on Ludwig Classic Maples, but they're just not in the budget.

So I'm pretty set on a Yamaha Stage Custom kit in Honey Amber, 10RT, 12RT, 14FT, 16FT, 20BD, 14SD. (The 16FT would be ordered as an addition to the Fusion kit).

It's the cheapest mid-range kit that comes standard with a 20" kick and normal sized toms, after I have all the drums I want. I can even get a matching 24" kick soon down the road if I have a good month at work and not break the bank on any of this stuff.

If there's any suggestions as to something else that may even be a little bit more money but a much better deal, or even something that's cheaper that would afford me the same sizes and quality, I'm all ears.

I was looking at the Mapex Meridian, the Tama Silverstar, Gretsch Catalinas, and Pearl Visions and Sessions. I've been looking on eBay and Craigslist since the start of my hunt, and I think this is the best option, but like I said, if anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!
-Austen

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
My vote goes to either the kit you have in mind already or the Mapex Meridian. Bear in mind, however, that all of the kits around this price range pretty much offer the same quality in sound, finish and hardware. You'd struggle to go wrong.

Xero Talent

Silver Member
Get the Yamaha Stage Customs. I have them, great kit, very versatile, great drums for the price.

You'll get no discouragement from me! :)

larryz

Platinum Member
How much are your paying for these? They aren't the nouveau plastic lugs set you were considering previously, right? I love honey amber. Favorite of all yamaha finishes. Almost bought this identical set used a few years ago. Can't go wrong. I prefer the white bass drum head though. Stupid, I know... :)

AJ3000

Silver Member
Spending money helps the economy (someone's economy at least!) yamaha drums are great, and I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason to talk you out of it.... Maybe some poor kids in Africa could use the money for something? If that doesn't sway you, then dude, I got nothing.

?uesto

Silver Member
How much are your paying for these? They aren't the nouveau plastic lugs set you were considering previously, right? I love honey amber. Favorite of all yamaha finishes. Almost bought this identical set used a few years ago. Can't go wrong. I prefer the white bass drum head though. Stupid, I know... :)
No, it's not the Nouveau. Just the standard kit. And I couldn't agree more on the white head. I was thinking about that or a Fiberskyn. I was also thinking about natural maple hoops.

Not sure on my exact price. There's an employee discount involved...

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
+1 on white kick drum heads. I think they're great on dark wraps/laquers, or otherwise on natural finished.

Always a black head on a white kit, though (for me)!

LeftyDoug

I have an older set of Stage Customs and they are very good sounding drums not to mention how nice and solid they are. I think you cant go wrong with them.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I won't talk you out of 'em either. I use Yamaha hardware almost exclusively (stands, rack, single pedals. +1 e-kit, and a Yamaha Recording Custom kit. You can't go wrong with Yamaha.​

pieplaysdrums

The Yamaha are def nice drums, buuuuuuuuuuuut, why wouldn't you just keep saving til you have the cashish for the Ludwigs? Do you NEED the new drums RIGHT NOW or are you just too excited? If you need to wait on the second floor tom or kick, then so be it, just order them later.

wildbill

Platinum Member
The Ludwig Classic Maples are way more expensive than the Stage Customs, especially in the kind of configuration he's considering.

Depends on how bad ?uesto wants the Ludwigs, I guess. The other kits he listed are probably fine too, but I think they'd be a lot more trouble to add onto and re-configure.

I've got a Stage Custom Birch set with the 20" bass and am very satisfied with it. No real complaints at all. I say go for it.

?uesto

Silver Member
I'm in no rush for high end drums, but I do need a new kit in better sizes. I'd love a 20" kick right now, I need a kit with a 14" and a 16" floor tom, and floor toms that are full depth and with legs. Those are all things my current kit does not have.

Also, I'm 19 and have not been playing long enough/am not playing enough to need anything the Classic Maples give me that I can't do with the Stage Customs. I just need a good kit to gig with that I won't be heartbroken over if I scratch and beat them up (which won't happen, but accidents and drunk fans do happen).

For about $1,000 less, I'm certainly not $1,000 less happy..

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Make sure you try out a 20" kick first. I didn't try one out and when I got mine I was pretty disappointed, I'm swapping it over for a 22".

?uesto

Silver Member
Make sure you try out a 20" kick first. I didn't try one out and when I got mine I was pretty disappointed, I'm swapping it over for a 22".
I've played a lot of 20's and a lot of 22's, and I favor a 20" in every regard. Sound, feel, and especially set-up.

Dutch

I'm very happy with my fusion-sized YSC that I bought last year, except for the snare. I couldn't get a nice sound out of it and since I have a number of other snares, I ended up selling it. If you can buy the kit without the snare, consider it.
Dutch

?uesto

Silver Member
I'm very happy with my fusion-sized YSC that I bought last year, except for the snare. I couldn't get a nice sound out of it and since I have a number of other snares, I ended up selling it. If you can buy the kit without the snare, consider it.
Dutch
I may sell it. Although I do need a wood snare.. I may tweak it a bit. Maybe try die-cast or wood hoops, new snares, and certainly new heads.

I'll likely re-head the kit as soon as I get it...

deafdrummer

I have an older set of Stage Customs and they are very good sounding drums not to mention how nice and solid they are. I think you cant go wrong with them.
Same story here. That's what I have. I've had them since late 2003, and they were already several years old. I won't part with them. I have thought about other kits, but for what I do, why??

They're very versatile and are easy to tune for maximum resonance, and the bass drum is awesome tuned medium-low (22").

Ive been using a Yamaha Stage custom in those exact sizes in the studio for a while now. If I were approached to do a tour right now, I would happily take the set with me, 100%.