Version 2.0: deceptively challenging drum tracks

shemp

Silver Member
Man in the Box.....AIC

IMHO, it's one of those really great, list worthy drum tracks. It never hit me until I dug in and tried to nail the feel, timing and fills...."hey this is damn good". I will venture to say it is not a track many will really get to feel authentic. For instance the kick feel against the hats in the main repetitive verse part...and maybe the dotted kick hits in the chorus.

I do not feel this way about every drum track I dig into....many tracks don't offer what I consider to be foundational feel or timing or opportunities to really learn something ....not bad, but not at the MIB level. To me this one is special from a learning perspective.

Opinions welcome...

Feel free to chime in with other tracks you feel are also deceptive like that....

Last edited:

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I think everyone will find different things difficult because we all learn + play different things but one example for me is Paramore - ain't it fun.

I went on a bit of a cover rampage when I was out of work and this is one of the songs I chose to play. I found it hard to get it to feel and sound good and I was stressing and tensing up. The off beat crash accent during the hand to hand hihat pattern was awkward for me. I think it's one of those things I would rather casually play along to for a few months but I just played the song on repeat and chose the best take.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Loved v1.0 of this thread, and hoping that v2.0 is as good (with perhaps slightly less excitement).

Another Beatles track to add...

Day Tripper. The signature elements to my ears are the tambourine going into the drum roll. (You can kinda fake the tamb by using very sloshy hats, or if you're me it's a sign from Ringo that you need to add a tamb to your kit.)

Listening to the song with fresh ears this morning I discovered that the tambourine gets used throughout the song, mostly on '2' and '4' during the verses, and that the cymbals get more of a workout than I had ever noticed during the instrumental break.

What makes this song interesting for me is that there was clearly a separate tambourine track. When I've suggested to singers in my band that they could tackle the tambourine they go all rabbit in the headlights, so I do the tambourine, but it means that I need to thin the tamb part down because there are bits that would otherwise need me to grow an extra arm...and I already have enough difficulty controlling the two that I have.

opentune

Platinum Member
Mr Big - Free

it is quite hard (for me) to hold this groove, steady at this tempo, and the other subtle parts, like Simon's bass drum fills. The whole tune is like slow breathing.

shemp

Silver Member
Mr Big - Free

it is quite hard (for me) to hold this groove, steady at this tempo, and the other subtle parts, like Simon's bass drum fills. The whole tune is like slow breathing.
I had not played that one, but work with a Bad Co tribute and fully agree that Simon is deceptive....I mean just dig into the feel of Can't Get Enough....there is a slight gallop or lope to Cant Get Enough, that, frankly, does not get played authentically very often....rarely do I see anyone play the qtr note triplet fill before verse two properly. Some do though

Good call!

opentune

Platinum Member
Can't get Enough - I know exactly the fill you mean, and I can't do it his way of course either.

JerryOnDrums

Excellent idea here. Man In A Box is fantastic; I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for AIC.

I'll throw one in from the same era- Interstate Love Song by The Stone Temple Pilots. Eric Kretz is super slinky, always laid back in his groove, and you really get that vibe on this track. Especially difficult is trying to cop the hi-hat parts just right, with that mushy, mostly-closed thing going on. Love it.

It's funny, all the big 90s grunge guys- Matt Cameron, Dave Abbruzzese, Eric Kretz, Dave Grohl, etc etc...they all had something really special going on, without making it sound too complicated. And that shit is super difficult to play authentically.

shemp

Silver Member
I'm not even a 90s generation guy....born in '63, but I agree with you whole-heartedly. Some of the music is not my bag, but when I do dig in...another one is the 7/4 in Outshined....I like what I find very much.

That groove in Man In The Box is spectacular....

Excellent idea here. Man In A Box is fantastic; I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for AIC.

I'll throw one in from the same era- Interstate Love Song by The Stone Temple Pilots. Eric Kretz is super slinky, always laid back in his groove, and you really get that vibe on this track. Especially difficult is trying to cop the hi-hat parts just right, with that mushy, mostly-closed thing going on. Love it.

It's funny, all the big 90s grunge guys- Matt Cameron, Dave Abbruzzese, Eric Kretz, Dave Grohl, etc etc...they all had something really special going on, without making it sound too complicated. And that shit is super difficult to play authentically.