Used snare at GC "Excellent" condition?

pgm554

Platinum Member
That drum really is crap. I think they got a hold of the wrong photo
It is a brass Sensitone,so it is the right photo.

I just bought one off of CL yesterday and was checking prices and came across that one.

I mean really?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I know the picture is of a Sensitone, but not an Excellent one. I'm thinking the 94.00 one is excellent.

WallyY

Platinum Member
That's just some dingaling's interpretation of gullible saleability.
It's not like they have a museum curator rating the condition of the collectables.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
It just depends on who appraises the cymbal and what store they're from. Not a lot of quality control is available.

I bought a cymbal that was labelled "Excellent." When it arrived, it was anything but excellent.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
That is not "excellent". Their definition of excellent:
"This product is in "like new" condition and shows little to no signs of use. Free from blemishes, scratches, and user wear. All controls are completely functional."

It looks like it will clean up well but that's not the point.

Brian

Gold Member
Is it me or are those pictures blurry? It is hard for me to tell how blemished or nicked up that drum is.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I looked at it on the site or saw it elsewhere and the shell and the hoops are terrible.

greenstar323

Best practice when ordering their used gear is to call up the store, ask for someone in the drum department and ask a lot of questions.

I just bought a "good condition" acrolite from them that looked to be in very very good condition based on the photos. Hope that's true when it arrives today.

JSdrums

I worked at a small chain used instrument shop for a bit and might be able to offer some insight (though not an excuse.) A reason you see this at times is because the guy behind the counter could have likely take an item in on trade and to make the sale, had to give the customer a certain amount of trade credit. In order to give the max trade value, the salesperson may have based it on that item in excellent condition and to justify it to corporate has to list it as such. Usually, corporate is too busy to notice every little thing and goes unnoticed until someone complains. Two things usually happen: a customer complains about an item they'd buy if it was priced according to condition and corporate adjusts the price, especially if it's been in inventory a while OR the item just sits, and sits until they wind up dropping the price. The problem is, if the store feels they paid too much, they have a harder time lowering the price to fit their margin.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Best practice when ordering their used gear is to call up the store, ask for someone in the drum department and ask a lot of questions.

I just bought a "good condition" acrolite from them that looked to be in very very good condition based on the photos. Hope that's true when it arrives today.
I've seen photos from GC that are flat out wrong and send them a note saying so.
No feedback ,no change of photo.
You get a we've received,but never any contact saying if they've fixed it.

You see a snare drum ,head only oic and ask for more pics,nada response.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've seen photos from GC that are flat out wrong and send them a note saying so.
No feedback ,no change of photo.
You get a we've received,but never any contact saying if they've fixed it.

Like this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Pawn-Shop-Bass-VI-Baritone-Electric-Bass-Guitar-111927787.gc

Listed as a " Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI Baritone Electric Bass" for $549.99.

The picture is of an Epiphone bass with a hang tag price of $279.99.

I notified them of a mistakes on a couple of things I was interested in, and got no reply.
I've got to be really interested in something now to bother to try and correct their mistakes.

About the topic - I bought a snare from them listed as 'excellent' condition.
When I got it, it had a bent lower rim.
It was packed well, and the box wasn't damaged so it must have been that way from the start.
I kept it though. Die cast hoop that bent back into shape, and it sounds great. But still.....

greenstar323

I grill them on the phone and ask literally a million questions until I'm satisfied. Sometimes I ask for more pictures (again over the phone) and two of the three times I asked I got them. I don't think they check emails.

Wanted to post an update. I do not work for Guitar Center and have no bias for or against them. But I gotta say the guys at the GC in Arizona where I ordered my used Acrolite did an amazing job. I got home yesterday and it was packed in about 90 layers of bubble wrap. Drum was exactly as described. I'm extremely happy. I think it was a steal for the condition it's in and the price I paid.

I get the rants and raves about them, but I've had nothing but good experiences with their used gear. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Last edited: