USB Audio Inteface (ElectronicDrumKit)

DoktorAvalanche

Hi folks, just joined - thought I'd open up with some inteface ideas

I have just recently got an electronic drum kit (Got some grief from the neighbours). In my band, the guitarist has a Line-6 UX1 device. He uses this to plug in his guitar and record/effects etc. The same can be said for the electronic drum kit, it too can be plugged in. But I'm not willing to pay the price for the UX1, as I want to record my drumming and multi track the recordings of the guitars on my own at home, and do tweaks and extra fills where needed.

Can anyone recommend any other, cheaper, lower end models that do the same thing as the UX1? The guitarist uses Sonar Producer X1, I probably will too but I come from a home music production background so I'll be able to find something that does the job for me

Any input would be grateful on this topic, thanks

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Does your electronic kit have any kind of USB connectivity? It's entirely possible that you don't need an interface at all and can input the MIDI data directly into the computer. It's also usually possible to do the same with a MIDI interface because most electronic kits (especially older models like my DTXPress II) have a serial MIDI output rather than USB - but both will do the same thing.

MIDI is not sound, it's data. If you use that data in a DAW package, you can generate drum sounds.

DoktorAvalanche

Yes it has MIDI, as much as I'd like to use the digital drums to use other drums kits mastered through VST, I'd also like to output the direct audio into an interface. I can output the audio from the digital drums I have (Session Pro DD505) using L+R TRS, which if I have an insert cable I can plug into the instrument port on the device I have in mind which is the M-Audio Fast Track MKII. I can then use Pro Tools M-Powered to record my drumming and some drum VST kits via MIDI using other software such as Sonar Producer X1.

So I want to plug in the drums to the Fast Track and be able to plug it in via MIDI for using software triggered kits, would the Fast Track do the job for me for what I want, because I'm considering making the purchase so I can record drum covers and do tracks to take to my guitarist.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

The point I'm trying to make is this:

Why would you bother recording the audio at all when the drum replacement instrument (which ISN'T called a 'VST' by the way) will be far superior? I would just take the MIDI data and replace the drums in software without needing to record any audio at all.

DoktorAvalanche

Well I called it virtual studio technology when I used computer for electronic music production. I've only recently went from using drum machine to using electronic drum kits. I never used MIDI for drum kits, only synths. I want to record audio, simply because I want to, all I wanna know is if it can do it. But you are right. What would you recommend to use for software kits, sonar producer?

M

mediocrefunkybeat

VST is only one kind of software instrument format. There are others, like AU - which do the same thing.

An M-Audio FastTrack would be able to input the audio and the MIDI simultaneously into a computer. You'd have to make sure that the version you bought has two line inputs to capture the stereo master out from your electronic drum kit.

Sonar would work fine. I use Logic Studio 8 - but that's Mac-only. Sonar is a decent DAW.

DoktorAvalanche

Which fast track has 2 inputs (L&R) because I've been looking and I've seen one that has to insert ports, but I'm not sure if thats what I've to use for it. I was under the impression that using an insert cable would be able to capture the stereo outputs from the drum kit and go the instrument port of the fast track MKII and the pre-amps of sonar etc or interface itself would translate it to stereo, or am I under the wrong impression?