UPS disaster

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know of a situation I just went through. I sold a nice near mint Yamaha Live Oak kit to one of our members. I had shipped many items over the years and never experienced anything like I did with this transaction.

Long story short, I used UPS and sent the kit out in three packages.

Package 1, arrived no problem. Just tom mounts and floor tom legs.

Package 2, containing snare, 20" bass and 12" tom. Both batter hoops on the bass drum cracked in more than one place all the way through. Fighting with UPS on this one.

Package 3, containing 22" bass, 10" tom and 16" floor tom, UPS LOST the package??? Are you kidding me, they sent me an email claiming it's lost and they are going to refund me, naturally nothing close to what the drums are worth due to insurance being divided up between all pacakges.

So if anyone happens to see on ebay or Craigslist a 22, 10, 16 Yamaha Live Oak in Black Shadow Sunburst for sale please let me know, also you might see a Protection Racket bag for the bass drum.

Drums were last scanned in Raleigh NC.

Thanks

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
What the actual heck? I would be raising all KINDS of hell. Emailing the CEO, spamming the UPS Facebook and twitter accounts, contacting all the VPs on LinkedIn, etc.. I'd be going actual apeshit. How the heck do you lose a box that big? It's not like it slipped through a crack. Jeez.

Jhostetler

What the actual heck? I would be raising all KINDS of hell. Emailing the CEO, spamming the UPS Facebook and twitter accounts, contacting all the VPs on LinkedIn, etc.. I'd be going actual apeshit. How the heck do you lose a box that big? It's not like it slipped through a crack. Jeez.
Agreed. This is nothing to take likely. You give them an inch and they'll walk away leaving you with nothing.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Believe me, I have been going bonkers over this for almost a week now, I hope to get some agreement tomorrow, if not I will be escalating up the ladder. These missing drums I believe have been stolen.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Believe me, I have been going bonkers over this for almost a week now, I hope to get some agreement tomorrow, if not I will be escalating up the ladder. These missing drums I believe have been stolen.
2B, keep swinging... No doubt they walked, and UPS should make good.

Man, this is upsetting for both of you!

BenjaminCamelot

This is obviously a brand new kit or a used one? But what I can try to offer you is you could go on eBay or Craigslist and find anything similar since you never know what's gonna end up on those two sites. You could also just go through the complete struggle of going to your nearest music shop or Guitar Center and find a Yamaha kit that's very close to what you're looking for but it could be in a different finish or in used but good condition. That's all I can offer but I hope you manage to get the kit you're looking for.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I need to ask, did you insure each box separately? Or did you apply one insurance price on all three? Regardless if the last box was stolen or not, if UPS says they'll pick up the price for what it's insured for, they're not obligated to pay more because that's what you insured it for.

And it isn't unheard of for big boxes just getting lost in shipment. I remember speaking to the Sonor rep at the NAMM show who handled getting Gavin Harrison his kit for the David Lettermen show, and he said FedEx LOST the entire kit. Of course, Sonor was reimbursed, and he managed to get Gavin what he needed, but the sad truth is you must insure each box separately for what you think it's worth, then at least you have something to argue when you go back to scream at them.

I do hope UPS does all it can to get you reimbursed. Keep us posted!

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I'm the seller, the buyer paid for the drums so I ordered him a new kit, same color. He has been very patient and once he receives the new kit is going to send me back some gear so maybe my loss won't be so big. It just sucks that you put your trust into a large company like UPS, pay them good money to provide a service that they are supposed to be pros at and then this happens and their putting me through hell like I did something wrong. The whole time it's their incompetence and possible in house employees robbing stuff right under their noses. Be warned people, go FedEx

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi Matt, I insured the kit for what I sold it for, unfortunately for me they split the coverage, so yes the contents of the missing drums more than doubles what I am getting back with insurance. I don't ship large shipments often so live and learn. I guess I put too much trust in others and assume they are good at their jobs.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Hi Matt, I insured the kit for what I sold it for, unfortunately for me they split the coverage, so yes the contents of the missing drums more than doubles what I am getting back with insurance. I don't ship large shipments often so live and learn. I guess I put too much trust in others and assume they are good at their jobs.
Sorry to hear about this. I suppose all you can do is live and learn from it. The last time I shipped a drum kit in two boxes, I insured each separately so should they lose one, I get back all the money from the entire kit. It does cost more when you do that, but it's money well-spent for piece of mind.

Nowadays I just try to do a local sale and not deal with shipping if it's a large kit. I'll even meet a buyer up to 50 miles away to make it easier on them.