Upgrading Hi-Hat & Snare Stand

double bass man

I am about to upgrade my cheap Hi-Hat & snare stands. Advice welcome:

a) 2 or 3 legged stand ?
b) Double braced or single legs? A good solid single braced stand preferred?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Soulfinger

3 legs. 2 legs are for easier positioning when using multiple pedals.
Single braced will do fine. I´ve had my Yamaha 600 series hardware for 20 years now and it´s still going strong.

harryconway

Platinum Member
On the hi-hat, you might want to go legless if double bass (two bass drums) is what you do 100% of the time.

+1 on single braced Yamaha hardware. I use mostly 600 and 700 series stuff. The tripod on the 700 hi-hat rotates to accommodate double-pedal/double bass playing.

trickg

Silver Member
I'm a single kick player, and I prefer a 3 leg stand. With that said, some of the better HH stands out there are 2 leg stands, so it is what it is. I've been using a basic Pearl 800 series HH stand since about 2004, and I'm very used to it. If it ever breaks or I find I want to "upgrade it, I'm not sure what direction I'd go. The Pearl 905 is probably the closest that Pearl makes to what I currently have, but since I use Tama IC Pedals, I'd probably get a the Iron Cobra 605 - both are sturdy, mid-level HH stands, and either one would no doubt get the job done just fine and provide me with another 15+ years of use.

As for snare stands, again, I've used Pearl snare stands since 2004 - I have a pair of 800 series stands. They are completely nothing fancy - both have gear tilters and basic setup and height adjustment, so I'd probably replace those with Tama RoadPro stands. Again, I don't personally see the need for anything more than a gear tilter, and it seems to be closer to what I'd want now than anything Pearl has to offer.

I know some guys go all-out on their hardware, and many opt for the top of the line DW stuff, particularly with snare stands. For me, it boils down to what I need, vs what I "need" - I'm a set-it-and-forget-it guy. Once my snare stand is set, that's how it stays, and setting up is a matter of opening the legs to the Sharpie marks I've got on the main shaft, and putting the snare in the basket - done.

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
+1 on single braced Yamaha hardware. I use mostly 600 and 700 series stuff. The tripod on the 700 hi-hat rotates to accommodate double-pedal/double bass playing.
Absolutely! I've been using the same Yamaha 700 series single-braced cymbal & hi-hat stands for the past 10 years, and they've held up amazingly well! It just might be my favorite hardware- lightweight & easy to carry, yet still very durable.

trickg

Silver Member
Absolutely! I've been using the same Yamaha 700 series single-braced cymbal & hi-hat stands for the past 10 years, and they've held up amazingly well! It just might be my favorite hardware- lightweight & easy to carry, yet still very durable.
I probably should have mentioned that the hi hat stand on my practice kit at home is an older Yamaha 700 series single braced stand. I picked it up used at a really low price one day. The initial intent was that I was going to use it as my gig stand to help reduce weight in the hardware bag - I'd already gotten some single braced lightweight Pearl cymbal stands (reversable flat-based stands - I reversed them and use them normally) but I slightly prefer the feel of my Pearl 800 series stand, so I never used it until I put together enough drums, cymbals and hardware to have a two dedicated kits - one in the practice space, and one in the cases for gigging.

It's a solid stand and does the job nicely.

If I had to choose I'd go for a single braced, three leg stand with rotating legs to be able to set up a double pedal if needed.
I own a couple of Tama Stagemaster single braced Stands and really love em.
Lightweight, but sturdy enough to deal with almost any situation. Flexible and inexpensive too. Compared to my Roadpro stuff the Stagemaster make my spine rejoice.

Ronzo

I am a dbl bass player and I purchased the DW 9000 two legged hh stand and it is a tank. Solid piece of hardware!
Also purchased a DW 5000 snare stand. Nice thing is the basket is on a boom allowing more freedom on placement.
Personally, I prefer dbl braced hardware as I am a heavy hitter....6'4" and 250#.
Don't get me wrong, I can play with low dynamics but if I am all out...I hit hard!!!

Peedy

Personally, I’d split the difference. Go single brace if you have to hump it around and double if it’s going to sit all the time.

As for the legs, I didn’t think I was going to enjoy the two legged DW 5000 HH stand I inherited at church. . . But I was totally wrong on that one.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I’m going to be very unhelpful regarding narrowing you down with specifics but hopefully helpful in terms of the big picture. My advice is don’t overthink it. There’s a load of choice out there, what do you want to spend? I’ll get off the fence and say that if you’re not a heavily gigging drummer then single braced hardware is enough for hi hats and snare especially if you’re not using huge heavy cymbals or a cast metal snare drum. I don’t think you’ll get a single braced two legged hi hat stand so if you’re worried about pedal placement for a double pedal consider a stand with a rotating tripod.
In terms of brand and model, if it’s got Tama, Pearl, Yamaha or Gibraltar on it you’re not going to go wrong, and to be honest a lot of the lower cost stands come from similiar factories before getting a brand sticker attached so just avaoid the absolutely cheap rubbish like CB.

gish

Single braced stuff like the Yamaha 600/700 is just fine, even if you’re a pounder like Mr Ronzo above. It comes down to how you’re using it. One cymbal per stand? Single braced all day long. Clamping toms and multiple cymbals from each stand? Stepping up to double braced stands is probably a good idea. A single braced snare stand is fine, unless you have a 25 pound bell brass snare. Double braced legs really won’t make the hi hat any sturdier; like TrickG said it’s really about the action and response. Pick what feels good to play regardless of what kind of legs it has. I have a Tama double braced hi hat and a Yamaha single braced; zero difference in stability.

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
All I can say at this point is: ANALYSIS IS PARALYSIS

Set a budget, pick a major maker, and JUST BUY IT....

The time lost picking over the minute details of Tama vs Yamaha, single vs double, triple vs double, ad nauseum....would be better spent actually playing... Because the only way YOU will know the answers to your own questions will be through personal experience.

Trust me.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
My biggest factor for buying hardware these days is weight. Single braced Tama and Yamaha do it for me.

trickg

Silver Member
All I can say at this point is: ANALYSIS IS PARALYSIS

Set a budget, pick a major maker, and JUST BUY IT....

The time lost picking over the minute details of Tama vs Yamaha, single vs double, triple vs double, ad nauseum....would be better spent actually playing... Because the only way YOU will know the answers to your own questions will be through personal experience.

Trust me.
Gotta agree with this post. For the most part, with snare and hi-hat stands it's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. I haven't made any adjustments to my hat stand in ages - I have memory locks for the height adjustment, but I set the tension years ago - it just is what it is. The snare stand is similar - I have sharpie mark on the main shaft so that I know how far to open the legs, and the gear tilter stays in the same place. When I was still folding it down before putting it in my hardware bag, I had a sharpie mark on the gear tilter so that I could bring it back to the same place every time.

You'll find something good from whatever brand you go with, and even mid-level hardware in this day and age is as good pro-level stuff from 20-30 years ago. Have you ever watched old Buddy Rich vids and seen some of the rickety thin stands he was using back then?

donzo74

+1 for Yamaha snare and HH stands. My last HH was a Yamaha 2-leg 1100. Played it for years and had no issues, still use it on my practice kit. I found a used Yamaha 1200 Model and bought a matching 9500C single BD pedal and I'm in pedal heaven right now. I think I currently have 3 of the Yamaha 700 series snare stands. Perfect snare stand. Folds up very small, holds wide snares with wood hoops, holds 8" deep snares with no issues. Legs aren't so wide that they compete with pedals or other stands, smooth angle adjustment with no teeth. Can't go wrong with this purchase.

I purchased the DW 9000 two legged hh stand and it is a tank. Solid piece of hardware!
Ronzo, my brother... I must respectfully offer a differing opinion on the DW 9000 HH stand.

There are two main reasons I prefer every Yamaha HH stand I've ever had over my DW9000 HH. First is that the tilter mechanism on the DW is one of the worst designs I've ever seen. It consists of a very thin piece of sheet metal that is already bent at 90 degrees and then you apply pressure on the vertical plane to tilt the horizontal plane up to tilt the bottom HH cymbal. I have broken two of these (mine and the one at church) This is inexcusable to me on an expensive HH pedal. The Yamaha's all have the standard thumb screw tilter with a counter-locking mechanism. Far superior to the DW. Never broken, never failed.

Second, the 2-leg Yamaha HH stands have spurs in both feet and in the base. Neither of my pedals ever moves during a performance. The DW only has spurs in the base assembly and they are more like spikes that just go straight down. This stand walked away from me continuously. I tried to like it so I'd have a nice matching pedal set with the 9000HS and the 9002 BD pedal, but the bum tilter and poor anchoring mechanism on the DW brought me back to Yamaha. I started off on Yamaha drums, pedals and hardware and every time I stray, I'm quickly brought back due to their superior quality and durability.

donzo74

I am about to upgrade my cheap Hi-Hat & snare stands. Advice welcome:

a) 2 or 3 legged stand ?
b) Double braced or single legs? A good solid single braced stand preferred?

Many thanks
I may have strayed from the original intent of this thread in my last post. I prefer a 2-legged HH stand. This gives the most options for placement, especially if using a double bass pedal, and removes extra clutter around your feet. Even if double braced, with one less leg, the 2 leggers are not much heavier than a 3 legged single braced model. The other benefits of going with a 2-leg double braced model are that they are usually at the more top of the line and include better height and spring tension adjustments, better spurs and come with better clutches.

The HH is an instrument all to itself and one of the lead instruments of your drum set that 3 of your limbs have access to play so don't skimp on this purchase. Get one that is smooth, quiet, highly adjustable, highly durable and won't run away from you during a performance.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Single braced should be fine on both the snare stand and hh stand as long as you don't get cheapy stuff. Most of the time, the stands that hold the hats and the snare have to support a direct hit from above, not from the side the way cymbals do. In that case, a single braced should do.

Mustion

Can't go wrong with Yamaha if you can afford it (slightly more expensive than others). Really the best value.
And while I thought the snare tilter mechanism looked a little flimsy and antiquated for my tastes, it holds a 14x8 steel snare no problem and it's nice not having the teeth of a geared tilter force you into a particular position.

IBitePrettyHard

I had a DW 5000 2-leg stand...it wasn't very stable and was always creeping away from me. It seems the current DW 5000 and 9000 HH pedals haven't changed (except maybe velcro underneath the pedal?), so I would stay away. They're overpriced anyway.

I have a Tama Speed Cobra 910 Lever Glide HH stand, it's absolutely amazing. 2-legs, superb hardware and adjustability, it has an awesome tilt feature too. Best hi-hat stand I've ever played. It is expensive though. Shortly after I bought it for $240, the price went up to $280. Still worth it. I highly recommend both the premium and budget versions of the Iron Cobra or Speed Cobra HH pedals.

If you want a more traditional HH stand, you can't go wrong with Yamaha, like others have said.