Unreal Weckl Footage...

Aeolian

Platinum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_l07--EfY0

With Mike Stern. So groovy even when he solos!
I remember watching Mike play that song with Dennis. Mike and Lincoln Goines (Wooten or whoever was playing bass) would be locked by the eyes bobbing up and down trying to keep time while Dennis had this evil grin as if to say, "follow this". Mike is such a clown, I love how he asks the crowd for help. A real regular guy even if he is a monster musician.

Dave seems lighter and jazzier here. I didn't hear that many of his 5 or 7 stroke rolling thunder bits he used to play all the time in solos. Really interesting stuff.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Dave is the kind of man,and player,that said a long time ago that he wanted to be the best he could be.He lives and breathes drums.He has always been so fluid,smooth and dynamic of a player.He also consistantly get great tone out of his drums and cymbals.

The guy pays attention to everything,and really listens to whats going on.That's an attribute that a lot of chops masters and shreaders lack.But to just shread like that in a groove is not something many could manage.

I agree,that players like Dave and Vinny are just on a whole different level than just about anybody out there,save but for a few.:)

Steve B

Otto

Platinum Member
The difference isnt as great as you might think...

The idea is to play and concentrate on your playing...not someone elses.

Spend a couple years at 8hrs plus playing a day and you'll see.

Souljacker

Silver Member
I find it curious why Dave stays out of the limelight by playing fringe music only.

I'm not an expert on him but he doesn't seem to play on big pop records like Vinnie or Gadd, why is this?

NerfLad

Silver Member
Dave seems lighter and jazzier here. I didn't hear that many of his 5 or 7 stroke rolling thunder bits he used to play all the time in solos. Really interesting stuff.
Rolling thunder... great description! Somehow he smooths it out so well though... such intense chops, but they're not at all offensive. I hear alot of that influence in Benny Greb's playing. Just as Gadd pulled heavily from Elvin and Max, and Dave pulls from Gadd, Benny is pulling from Dave. It's really interesting to think about those trees of influence, so to speak.

I find it curious why Dave stays out of the limelight by playing fringe music only.

I'm not an expert on him but he doesn't seem to play on big pop records like Vinnie or Gadd, why is this?
That's just his choice. What a great place for him to be in his career that he has that kind of independence. Also remember that Vinnie was playing big pop records before and after Zappa. He kind of was a session drummer that happened to be Vinnie, before he was Vinnie. Nowadays he plays with Sting and Herbie and a few years ago he was with Jeff Beck... not exactly the mainstream (unfortunately...).

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

In the mid 80's he toured with Paul Simon, before he hooked up with Chick Corea.

At drum clinic some years back he talked about auditioning for Steve Perry, which didn't go so well for him.

NerfLad

Silver Member
In the mid 80's he toured with Paul Simon, before he hooked up with Chick Corea.

At drum clinic some years back he talked about auditioning for Steve Perry, which didn't go so well for him.
I had no idea! Interesting about the Steve Perry bit... I wonder how it didn't go well o_O