Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

opentune

Platinum Member
One experiment you can do with an acoustic guitar is to play it away from the body and then tightly tucked in. It helps to have somebody else listening but it really does significantly change the way it sounds.
As demonstrated by many a guitar player.....Johnny Cash, John Lennon, John Fogerty....in fact... all John's knew this and played with this effect.

TapTailor

Yep cool, as I said there is absolutely nothing I know about keep it simple so I called what I saw, at that particular moment in time, free of prejudice and in reflection rather hastily. Nice to see you that people stick together.

Anon La Ply, thats an interesting angle that I lacked the foresight to explore further. I always figured the large kits were for show but perhaps (for some) to create new colors to directly compensate for limitations elsewhere? Certainly given me something to think about anyway!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yep cool, as I said there is absolutely nothing I know about keep it simple so I called what I saw, at that particular moment in time, free of prejudice and in reflection rather hastily. Nice to see you that people stick together.

Anon La Ply, thats an interesting angle that I lacked the foresight to explore further. I always figured the large kits were for show but perhaps (for some) to create new colors to directly compensate for limitations elsewhere? Certainly given me something to think about anyway!
All's cool Tap :)

& yes, Grea makes a most valid point. In a highly amplified environment, nuance & grace often doesn't translate, no matter how skilfully or dynamically appropriately it's applied. The resort is therefore to a wider selection of elements that can convey melody/textures, etc, as required. That doesn't apply to all players however. For many, more drums just means greater stadium fill temptation & an aesthetic that's appropriate to the show.

mikel

Platinum Member

I didn't read anything "Passive aggressive" In KIS's response. Perhaps you are over analysing posts on here, we are simple drumming folk. What you see is what you get. No agendas.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
So true. A really interesting palette o' colors. Well put Nonners.
Yes Uncle :) The tone of low volume sounds on drum kit are more beautiful to my ear.

Cheers Tap. Whenever I've sat at a big kit I've felt all at sea (and compelled to just play ride, kick, snare and hats :) So, at least as far as my body is concerned, it's a whole other skillset requiring a range of larger movements that need to be brought under control. All slightly different skills.

In a highly amplified environment, nuance & grace often doesn't translate, no matter how skilfully or dynamically appropriately it's applied. The resort is therefore to a wider selection of elements that can convey melody/textures, etc, as required. That doesn't apply to all players however. For many, more drums just means greater stadium fill temptation & an aesthetic that's appropriate to the show.
Yep, and I've been on both sides of that fence, ordinary as I've been in each style lol

The best example I remember of the loss of nuance you talked about was seeing the YT of Jeff Porcaro with Toto playing Rosanna and not playing the ghost notes. With the big stage sound and the stadium's reverberations I wouldn't have known he was playing the shuffle straight if it was just audio.

Or maybe I'd heard the triplets so often that my ear inserted them?

Oh, another example. Seeing Jethro Tull at the Entertainment Centre and the intricacy of the music was lost in the rumble. Not long afterwards I heard Crowded House and their simple Beatley pop sounded spot on (or maybe their engineer knew the venue better?). Paul Hester, CH's classy drummer (sadly lost too soon) played the show with just kick, snare, hats and crash/ride cymbal :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hey, perhaps it snot so profound if you need to use a different instrument as an example but what about lacquers?

My unpopular opinion - I've grown tired of some characters here. It's probably time for a holiday. Fthhbjioigddx
Yeah...that would suit me just fine.Bye Dre

Steve B