UK Drum Show update

mikyok

Platinum Member
especially nice to meet my brand new Guru snare!!!! I'm over the moon with it :)
Congrats!

I really wanted that little walnut Guru, time to start saving! Those shells were to die for! Thanks for showing me around the kits Andy, much appreciated, wish I had longer than I did at the show.

Should have had a piccie of me with JR to upload but the guy looking after him didn't attach the photo in the e-mail. d'oh still got his autograph though.

Thanks everyone at Amedia for sorting me out with a really nice Vintage 20" crash I love it!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I was considering the addendum that clearly you've been far more partial to both pints and pies over the years, but I didn't want to appear rude.

However, now that you've been happy enough to raise it, gluttony not withstanding, there is still a striking similarity there.........even if he does have a few less chins and could easily hide out in the shadow you cast!!

:)
You have surpassed yourself. You must be drunk. More than likely given your heritage as a pesky colonial with little else to do.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Wow, it seems that I attended the wrong gathering! Some great memories in those shots. Except that I wouldn't have met Duncan, and that of course would simply not do :)

Lazza, how did they make the drum show tolerable? Do they still have the system of quiet time and then they give the green light to seemingly a thousand psychopaths intent on murdering the display drum kits?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I wasn't there but had an idea for future shows of this type. The dealers would employ drummers to showcase their products, that could play periodically, at a volume more pleasing volume rather than have the local yokels banging away ay volume 11 merely to show their "chops". Just a thought.

J

JohnoWorld

Blasting out chops & showing off to friends was not permitted on our stand. We did, however invite people to try our drums in a manner conducive to listening to the instrument.
Mate, it sounds as if you are deliberately limiting the way people play your drums so as not to show what they aren't good at.

I wantto see drums being blasted to death, you can then see how they perform in different situations, helping you to make the choice. Guru drums sound different to everything else on the market, that is why people like them (plus the looks/craftmanship etc) but start tearing it up and they lose focus, much like I found.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Mate, it sounds as if you are deliberately limiting the way people play your drums so as not to show what they aren't good at.

I wantto see drums being blasted to death, you can then see how they perform in different situations, helping you to make the choice. Guru drums sound different to everything else on the market, that is why people like them (plus the looks/craftmanship etc) but start tearing it up and they lose focus, much like I found.
In defence of Andy he did say to me that the build quality of the drums would be wasted in an AC/DC kind of band which is a fair point you can do that on a Pearl Export and sound the same.

The tour I got of the stuff was amazing. Totally got what was behind the drums, pretty sure blasting them to death wasn't part of the plan. I didn't have the money to buy a kit so I didn't ask to play one.

Would you buy a kit that had been thrashed by lots of people at a drum show. Nope not me.

Plus if you made the drums and haven't sold them yet you make the rules.

Juniper

Gold Member
No, I have no issue with people trying out the drums in a way that's relevant to their requirements, that's why I put a huge amount of effort into being there, but I do have an issue with players treating them, & other displays in general, as an opportunity to show off their chops in front of their assembled friends. Any visitor to a show of this type will testify to how annoying it is, putting up with people hitting the crap out of instruments, with absolutely no interest in ascertaining how they sound. Such players prevent others from trying out drums they're interested in hearing, both in terms of tying up the instruments, & drowning out players genuinely interested in testing the drums
I'll 100% back this up.

Even Dennis Chambers said a bit about the gospel chops guys in his clinic, when I spoke with him in the exhibition floor afterwards I mentioned that part of the clinic to him and his exact words were "It needed to be said". I love the guy even more now.

Those guys just go for it as hard as possible to show off/try and get an endorsement pure and simple. It actually puts people off going to the stand in most cases, people just mostly continue to walk past.

It's an annoyance to everyone else that attends, especially the ones who want to hear/experience an instrument.

Glad Andy has his viewpoint for his stand and I fully agree.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I'll 100% back this up.

Even Dennis Chambers said a bit about the gospel chops guys in his clinic, when I spoke with him in the exhibition floor afterwards I mentioned that part of the clinic to him and his exact words were "It needed to be said". I love the guy even more now.

Those guys just go for it as hard as possible to show off/try and get an endorsement pure and simple. It actually puts people off going to the stand in most cases, people just mostly continue to walk past.

It's an annoyance to everyone else that attends, especially the ones who want to hear/experience an instrument.

Glad Andy has his viewpoint for his stand and I fully agree.
I'm not surprised that Dennis Chambers said that - I'm glad he did and it's great that he spoke to you afterwards.

Unfortunately, it's true. I have no problem with the idea of 'Gospel Chops', I don't think they're terribly musically useful or applicable except in very specific situations - but the constant idolisation and practise of what is an essentially useless bit of playing to the exclusion of all else is deeply tiresome.

You've seen my face at these shows when someone starts bashing away, Jon! I even remember Andy having a stern word or two at his stand when people have just walked up to his kits and started bashing away - only to be sent away quickly. It's about courtesy and appropriate product testing.

Johno - while I see your point and playing loudly and hard is certainly part of trying a kit out, it's only part of trying a kit out. When you go to shows like this (the LDS has always been terrible for it, with little enforcement from the noise wombles - I think over the years there I did more enforcing than them!) it becomes clear and obvious. They're not trying kits out. They're showing off to try and get some kind of artist deal with a manufacturer. Which doesn't work. Unless it's Soultone...

Juniper

Gold Member
I'm not surprised that Dennis Chambers said that - I'm glad he did and it's great that he spoke to you afterwards.

You've seen my face at these shows when someone starts bashing away, Jon!.
He started it specifically stating it was aimed at the Gospel Chops guys along the lines of that it's fine on its own but you'll never have an application to apply it in a musical setting and it's somewhat gotten out of control and he needed to speak up.

That's how the clinic started before even a drum was hit.

The photo he was kind enough to allow me to take. Day (and year) made. Have had John Scofields 'Blue Matter' on a lot again since.

Attachments

opentune

Platinum Member
Well, to a degree, we did, although not formally. Blasting out chops & showing off to friends was not permitted on our stand. We did, however invite people to try our drums in a manner conducive to listening to the instrument. We also had some fun, including a 3 player 15 minute strict "money beat" session.

Video featuring Larry, Caroline, David, Liam, Tim, & myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrQKQfusEc&feature=youtu.be

Faces on visitors was priceless :)
This was awesome, great idea. Kudos for a 15 min money beat with 3 people.

R2112

Silver Member

Oh ya, Andy doesn't ever want any heavy hitters banging away on any Guru drum. He would never want that shown publicly. A Guru drum would surely sound unfocussed and undesirable if it's played hard or if a known heavy hitter were to play a Guru drum.

https://youtu.be/e2SHjkf6KCM

oops....

R2112

Silver Member
So here's a quick update so far on the drum show. I am not able to give a full accounting yet, I'm still gathering experiences. The drum show IMO was 10x better than London in 2013 by virtue of the venue alone, particularly the noise factor, which was actually tolerable without needing to run out.

Everything about the weekend was lovely, smashing, brilliant, and everything an American in Manchester could hope for... and more. My brain is still processing the weekend, and Andy is loading me up with the local info where he lives. When I return I'll give a proper accounting, but right now I'm in no state of mind to recap in detail. There's too much to experience at Andy's place and the surrounding towns. I'll be writing a novel when I return, there is so much that is affecting me. I don't want to leave, ever. I will say that.

In the meantime, I have to share some images that are very special to me.

I am kicking myself for not getting a pic of Juniper (Jon)

Jon I'm so sorry. That is my only regret, and it's a big one.
So incredibly happy for you Larry! This trip couldn't have happened to a better guy. The last photo of you and the crew is priceless!

8Mile

Platinum Member
That looks like a lot of fun.

I hope you posted a suitable humblebrag on social media along the lines of, "I'd really like to post some photos of this awesome UK Drum Show but I gotta go tip a few pints with Simon Phillips. *sigh* It's SO hard to find alone time, oh well."