Tuning thin shelled snare drum

steve.b.

Hi All,
I have purchased a thin beech shelled snare drum and would like to try out all tunings from low to high, my question is can i do any damage to the shell by cranking the heads up too tight?
Thanks
Steve

opentune

Platinum Member
Tuning too tight will choke the drum, likely before you will damage the wood.
Tune incrementally.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
You would probably ruin a lug before doing damage to the shell, but tighten slowly in a star pattern

Aeolian

Platinum Member
My experience of thin shelled snares is that you can do two things with them. They are naturally going to ring a lot, so you can tune them on the looser side and get that funky New Jack Swing kind of thing out of them. Or you can crank it up till it chokes, put a damped head like a center spot and get that one dimensional tight poppy sound. I've never been successful at anything in between. I'll be interested if any folks have ways to achieve this.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'd need to know more about the shell construction/thickness & lugs before advising you. For example, single point lugs with a small footprint on a 4mm thick shell would be very likely to damage the shell in a number of ways if cranked even moderately high.

On tuning, thin shell wood snares can be very versatile drums. Again, it's down to construction, edges, & other factors, but a quality thin shell snare is not inherently "ringy", nor is it predisposed to choke early. If every aspect of the drum's design is focused on getting the best out of the thin shell, they can make for spectacular instruments. Conversely, a thin wood shell of mediocre quality with a ton of hardware hanging off it, is not only pointless, it's also often a bucket of trouble.

steve.b.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
The snare in question is the Benny Greb one from Sonor, a bit extravagant for my ability but fell in love with it and don't want to do anything that may damage it.
Regards
Steve

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Ah, in that case, you have no issues. The shell isn't super thin. Sonor's lugs offer plenty of support, & you can rely on them to have done their homework. Have fun :)

Anduin

Pioneer Member
I HAVE wrecked a thin-shelled snare by cranking it too tight. Beware!

In my case it was a fibreglass drum, and the shell bent in as the tension went up. I was somewhat less than pleased once I realized what was going on.

Nickropolis

I HAVE wrecked a thin-shelled snare by cranking it too tight. Beware!

In my case it was a fibreglass drum, and the shell bent in as the tension went up. I was somewhat less than pleased once I realized what was going on.
Would you care to divulge which brand/model this snare drum was?

Sorry to hear about it by the way, always sad when a drum meets a tragic end.