Tuning suspended Floor Tom

MK636

Does anyone have trouble tuning a 14" suspended floor tom? I can't get the overtones out of it. Also, trying not to muffle. Thinking about buying floor tom mounts and legs.
Any ideas?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Does anyone have trouble tuning a 14" suspended floor tom? I can't get the overtones out of it. Also, trying not to muffle. Thinking about buying floor tom mounts and legs.
Any ideas?
I'd wager it has nothing to do with the mounting system. I'd save my money on the mounts and legs.

I can't really give any useful advice about tuning, though, because I don't have enough info about your situation. For me, larger drums can be a bit trickier to tune because it's just harder for me to hear all the overtones and get the head perfectly in tune with itself.

I find it extremely helpful to completely isolate each head while getting it in tune with itself.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
By overtones, do you mean decay? If so, that's preferable to having a drum that doesn't sing at all! Don't fight it too hard or you'll take the life out of it.

But I know that too much decay drives engineers nuts. Let them put a gate on it and tailor the decay to their/your liking. Just know that the sound out front is more important than what your ear hears.

If there are offensive tones, they can usually be tuned out. Sometime a little judicious padding on the reso makes a world of difference.

Bermuda

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'd be interested in the kinds of heads you are currently using in addition to how old the heads are.

Also, what kind of floor tom? (Maple? Birch? Basswood? Poplar? Acrylic?)

MK636

Thanks for the replies.
Tom is PDP maple
Heads Evans EC2 batter
Evans G1 Reso
It's not the decay as Bermuda said, but a nasty overtone. I know the sound out front means everything, but I don't like the sound from the drivers seat. I haven't had any problem tuning other toms, but this one is kicking my ....
I've turned the L bracket up and down with not much difference.
I'll keep messing with it and maybe add a moongel.

Again, thanks for the response.