Tuning JPW lesson learned

Nodiggie

Gold Member
This past May I purchased my very first Hybrid kit. Being Birch/Bubinga, I thought I could "get away" with tuning JPW as I have done for years on every kit I have owned and every other Maple kit I've tuned. Besides having bearing edge issues on the 10" tom (not flat), I could never get these drums to have that warm tone evenly across all the toms. In fact, being in a very small jam room, they sound pretty horrible. I could not get used to that bright attack or projection. The original G2 clears were very open sounding compared to G2 Clears on my Maple kit so I changed them to EC2 clears and put G1s on the reso side. I still did not like the results JPW. I changed batters to G2 Coated since I had good results recording this head on my Maple kit. No luck with these heads either. My drum kits are in our band studio the next town over so I don't get much time on the kit but maybe twice a week for an hour or so. I recently started working in that town and have the luxury of stopping by every day to rehearse and spend some quality time tweaking on this new kit.

I decided to start tuning the reso higher in pitch than the batter and now these drums have come to life. This has been a very foreign and strange experience to me and I just count it a learning experience. I played a show with this kit recently in a large venue and they did sound fantastic and very, very different than my maple kit. Was beginning to worry if I'd ever be happy with them.

Spreggy

Silver Member
I always tune toms that way. Are you getting a bit of a pitch bend? Resos tighter than batters will tend to do that.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Spreggy,

I think it's possible that is happening. One thing I did notice is how much better the drums sound in a larger room. I don't have this issue with deep sounding maple drums. I just couldn't get my head around the personality of these new shells. I'm going to be recording these drums in week or so. Should be very interesting what they are going to sound like in that room.

Spectron

Silver Member
go to the extreme and tune your bottom head an octave higher.
killer sound.

I heard Larryace talking about it and tried it.
maximum projection, nice response.