tuning help

drumbum11

i have just bought a used ddrum dominion ash pocket kit and i really like it.

i have been trying to tune it right but i just can't get it right. i was just wondering if there are any tips or tricks that can help me. any suggestions are appreciated.

the heads are evans genera G2 heads and stock heads on the bottom

thanks

Bildozer

Well, since its a used kit I would suggest that you break down the kit, pull the hoops, batter heads and resonant heads off of all drums and make sure that the bearing edges are all clean and also not damaged. The slightist little nick or imperfection on the bearing edge will ahve a great amount of affect on how the drum sounds and tunes for that matter. Just use an old cotton tee shirt or a cotton dust rag to wipe the bearing edges and do it dry dont dampen the cloth. Look at the bearing edges to ensure that ther are no visible flaws. If this isnt an issue it could also be that the heads are not centered on the drums. The head could be pulled to one side of the drum shell and you can see this if you look at the gap between the hoop and the bearing edge around the whole drum. If this doesnt help than I would reccomend going to "tuningbible.com" they have an huge amount of helpful info about tuning and tuning methods. Hope you can get it worked out and keep playing.

drumtechdad

Gold Member
If the resos are old stock ones I'd change them out when you can afford it. Good resos make tuning easier and stock heads usually suck. Get any name brand 10mil single-ply clear heads.

If these are new drums to you, it's worth finding out where each drum wants to be tuned. After you reinstall the heads after your inspection, take each tom and bring it up from finger-tight very gradually. Keep both heads at the same pitch and keep the lug-to-lug tuning decent. Add 1/4 turns at a time and strike the batter in the middle after each round of tension. Eventually you'll reach a zone where the drum really sings, has the most sustain and projection. Tune it there. Do that for all your toms.

If you're a n00b at tuning, these links can help:

Tuning toms

Tuning snares

Tuning bass drums

Why reso heads are important

Reducing snare buzz part 1 and part 2.

drumbum11

whenever i do the 1/4 turn and find where it sings, do i have the reso on too?
and if i do do i tune that the same as the batter?

drumtechdad

Gold Member
whenever i do the 1/4 turn and find where it sings, do i have the reso on too?
and if i do do i tune that the same as the batter?
Yes on both. Keep both heads at the same pitch and keep the lug-to-lug tuning decent. Raise them both at the same time. You may decide, after finding where each drum sounds best, to raise the resos relative to the batters to cut the sustain. But it's easier to hear where a drum sounds best with both heads the same.