Tune Bot Snare Drum Tuning

markusjj

Hello,

Just got Tune Bot and I'm having issues with my snare resonant head. I see people that are cranking up their bottom head lug to 300+ hz. I can get my bottom head in the 190s with the lugs super tight. I'm worried I'll pop the bottom head right off. Also, I'll have my fundamental pitch at 190 and all of the lugs also match that pitch or in the same range. I don't have a filter on or anything. I know that your lug is supposed to be 30-100% higher than your fundamental which is what I got with the batter side.

What am I doing wrong? It's a 6.5x14 Ludwig Steel Black Magic with Aquarian Hi-Energy on the top and Remo Weatherking on the bottom.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
If you're that tight, you're probably getting a bum reading. Try repositioning the Tune Bot closer to the lug, or go to a new lug until you get QN accurate reading.I tune my snare side head to 400 with no problem

picodon

Silver Member
Correct I had the same problem. I find its use limited on the snare, which has tons of overtones. It works better on the toms.

JLoveDrums94

Well, I know that after a certain number, the tune-bot needs to have the filter turned on. Or maybe that's just how mine works.
I'll tune the bottom head up to 399.7 (or some number like that) and then I would have to turn on the filter, in order to continue tuning it higher. The tune-bot manuel doesnt recomend tuning it past 400 because it will choke the head, and kill the sound, and blablabla... 400 doesnt do it for me. That's still too low. I, personally, think that I get the best sound at 410... maybe as high as 415... but not 420. I tuned the reso side of my snare drum to 420 once, I did not like it.

Now, for the record... I would not recomend taking notes from me about how high to tune your snare drum. My style of music requires me to make my snare drum sound almost like a marching snare drum. I highly doubt your tastes are the same as mine in this case. But I'm just saying.

Btw, you can also use the tune-bot to tune timbales... not that anyone else here owns both a set of timbales and a tune-bot.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Trust your ears. If it sounds good to you, then it IS good! The Tune-Bot is a useful tool for tuning, but your ears are king!

I got a Tune-Bot some months ago to (i) save time on re-tuning and head changes, and (ii) help with tuning out those little differences between lugs ('two lugs are different, which one is lower vs higher?' - that sort of thing).

On my Supra, although the balance between top and bottom heads sounds right to me, the Tune-bot says the batter head (Emperor) is 301, and the bottom (stock head) is 142. Meanwhile the drum sounds great, so I'm sticking with it. (FWIW, the Tune-bot says the fundamental is 203 - which it says is note 3G#). BTW, I do use the filter, which is essential as JLoveDrums94 rightly says.

On my other snares the Tune-Bot agrees with me that my batter head is lower than my snare head :)

The Tune-bot is good for saving time, but your ears are important too! So when exploring tuning for any drum, I usually tune by a 'traditional' method (finger tight, then key, then find the pitch to get it close to what I want by ear), then use the Tune-bot to tune out the differences between lugs.

Then if I change heads the Tune-bot helps to get back quickly to the same tuning (assuming it's the same type of head).

Hope it helps...

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Btw, you can also use the tune-bot to tune timbales... not that anyone else here owns both a set of timbales and a tune-bot.
I use a 10" timbale in place of a side snare, but I don't typically use the Tune-Bot to tune it. I can never get it quite right unless I just tune it by ear.

Also, it's worth mentioning that you should make sure the opposite head of that which you are tuning is muffled. All of my drum stuff is in the basement, and we have a spare bed down there for guests, so I just set the drum on the bed, so only the head I'm working on is allowed to resonate. If you're working with the drum in a stand, you can put a small pillow in the basket before you set the drum in. I used to do that with snares.

M

Mike_In_KC

Also, it's worth mentioning that you should make sure the opposite head of that which you are tuning is muffled. .
Here here! I had all sorts of problems with accurate, consistent tune bot readings until I did two things -

1) Properly muffle the opposite head as TC stated and
2) Used the filter button after the first strike reading

Also remember to turn off the filter after you are done with whichever side you are tuning and start over again.

MM

JLoveDrums94

Well, duh you have to muffle the opposite head. That's the first thing they tell you to do in the tune-bot manuel, and even in their videos on how to work the thing. If you were getting the same results after muffling the opposite head, then that would be odd.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
2) Used the filter button after the first strike reading
MM
After the first ACCURATE reading. In some situations, I'll get numbers all over the place at first, especially in noisy rooms. Then once you get a reading that seems to match up with what your ears are hearing, hit filter.

M

Mike_In_KC

After the first ACCURATE reading. In some situations, I'll get numbers all over the place at first, especially in noisy rooms. Then once you get a reading that seems to match up with what your ears are hearing, hit filter.
Right - first strike was a poor choice of words. And yes the other guy is correct - all of this is documented in the product manual available online.

Off topic -

TC I see you are from Davenport - my family are all from Albia (south central Iowa, near Ottumwa)and the Ames area. I mention it because the other day I referred to the "davenport" to a guest and they had no idea what I was talking about :)

Sorry to stray off topic there...

MM

TColumbia37

Silver Member
TC I see you are from Davenport - my family are all from Albia (south central Iowa, near Ottumwa)and the Ames area. I mention it because the other day I referred to the "davenport" to a guest and they had no idea what I was talking about :)

Sorry to stray off topic there...

MM
Funny story, we had a well known touring band come through and we opened for them. On stage, they just kept talking about sofas.

Okay, back on topic!

T

The SunDog

Didn't we used to give each other advice on tuning. Now you guys are giving advice on how to use a tuner. Can't tune my snare because the Tune-bots not working. What's next, a machine to play it for you too? Just tune it by ear already. You can probably get some good tips from some of these guys.

Last edited: