Triggering Metronome by Hitting Pad

Viiins

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if there was an affordable solution.
Eg.
Drum counts off intro of a song,
Vocal is accompanied by Piano only....
Drums come in later in the Chorus.
But when it does, the drummer hits pad to activate metronome.
Has anyone come up with a solution?
Thanks

trickg

Silver Member
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if there was an affordable solution.
Eg.
Drum counts off intro of a song,
Vocal is accompanied by Piano only....
Drums come in later in the Chorus.
But when it does, the drummer hits pad to activate metronome.
Has anyone come up with a solution?
Thanks
The "solution" I used for a similar thing when I was trying to utilize a click track with a praise band. I was the only one who had the click, and there were times when we'd crash out in the middle of a tune where it was just vocals and acoustic guitar, or similarly a song that started with just acoustic guitar and vocals. I had a Yamaha Clickstation. It had a neat little feature with the "Vibration" button. While it could be used to feel the temp where you could hold it down and it would vibrate to tempo of the click, it would also reset the "1". I had it on a little in-ears setup to the left of the kit, and I'd keep my hand poised over the vibrate button. The click would continue to run, doing its thing, and then just as I came back in with the rest of the band, I'd tap that button, and resest/resync the "1" to where the band was.

That was my cheap/easy solution, but it's not quite what you are looking for.

I'm pretty sure the Dr. Beat DB-90 allows for midi input, and it can be triggered that way, but midi trigger pads seem to be somewhat pricey.

This Roland BT-1 trigger bar might be a good solution:

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
I agree with trickg's suggestion of a bar trigger. I've also been in playing situations where I used a foot pedal (One of them was just a Yamaha piano pedal) or a stomp-box to activate a click track. I would keep the metronome pedal to the left of the hi-hat, so I could just pivot my foot & tap it with my heel.