Trigger to Sample Pad Compatibility Question

Erberderber

I'm considering getting a clip-on trigger for my bass drum and would ideally like to connect it up to my Alessis Sample pad 4, which has a trigger input. Does anybody know which model of trigger would be compatibile? I fear that Roland triggers only work with Roland modules/pads.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Modules usually offer different settings for the various triggers available, it would be odd if any trigger didn't work. I would guess that Alesis planned ahead for owners of pads & triggers from Roland, their main competitor.

But to be safe, contact support at Alesis for the specs (the info's not in their manual) and also see if Alesis has triggers, that way it's a guaranteed match.

Bermuda

electrodrummer

All kick triggers are just piezos. So anything will work - subject to a little tweaking at the module end.

This week, for example, I'll be using a Yamaha trigger on an acoustic kick, triggering a Roland module.

Erberderber

Thanks guys. I've been on an Alesis forum and have read a couple of threads from people saying they've had a hard time getting triggers to work with the sample pad. Alesis say that these are exceptions and that all (if not most) trigger models should work. I'll pop into my local music store where they sell sample pads and triggers and see what the assistant says. If he's really helpful, he could set one up, but I know what they're like in there, so I'm not getting my hopes up!

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have an Alesis sample pad and a Roland kick trigger. I have to run the trigger through a headphone amp to boost the signal for it to work properly. If I use the trigger with my Alesis Nitro kit module it works fine without the Boost

Erberderber

I have an Alesis sample pad and a Roland kick trigger. I have to run the trigger through a headphone amp to boost the signal for it to work properly. If I use the trigger with my Alesis Nitro kit module it works fine without the Boost
Yeah, this seems like the same problem as the one I read about on the other forum. I will be wary of that, but I'm now thinking about getting a bass drum rubber or mesh pad instead.