Transporting your drums and "load in"

yamahaha

There may be other threads on this subject, but I couldn't find a thread specifically on this subject. I'm curious as to what everyone kind of cases and dollys or similar devices are being used for transportation and load in at the venue. I gig about 3 - 5 times per month and use an SKB strap case, WolfPak drum bags, a RoadRunner Cymbal bag and a Rock N Roller R10 max cart with a ratchet strap over the top for stability. I bought the semi-rigid Black Panther case for my Black Panther snare and it is exceptional! I am also very pleased with the Rock N Roller since it allows me to make just one trip from my car to the stage area which is a huge advantage when the load in area is far away (too often the case!).

So what are y'all using?

Attachments

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Hardware goes into an XL Coffin style case, which has wheels on it.

And I have an everyday hand truck I got from a hardware store.

I'm not sure how people move drums without a hand truck or similar device.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Wheels are a must, whether it's simply heavy hardware, or a trap case where lighter hardware + cymbals & pedal are included.

On local gigs where I handle my gear, I use an old school type Impact trapcase (with old Ludwig 1400 stands, pedal, cymbals & throne) and carry the drums in bags. It's two trips at the most, and one of my gigs is just kick/snare/hat, so it's one trip. I have a second set of hardware that's slightly heavier duty and includes additional tom stands, and that goes in an Impact trapcase and Impact upright stand case, also on wheels.

My cases are very light, and that's important too. Somebody makes a large, heavy-duty, well made molded trapcase with foldout cymbal section, that weighs probably 60lbs empty. Ridiculous for us old guys, and the kids.

I do like the Rock & Roller though, very practical!

Bermuda

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Since many of the venues that I perform at supply drum sets, I often will just need to bring cymbals. So I have spent a bit more on my cymbal case than my other bags/cases. I had a heavy duty cymbal case custom designed by Calzone/Anvil. It has a retractable handle and replaceable wheels (skateboard wheels). I am happy with the case, but the wheels tend to wear out soon if I need to keep wheeling them across parking lots, asphalt, etc... The case is big enough to fit a stick bag and a few small accessories. I'll try to attach a pic soon.

Jeff

Last edited:

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
I'm all about the rock and roller cart! That thing has saved my back over the years.

I'm also a fan of nesting drums. I've got the Rick Marotta Hipgig. I'll say that when it's mic'd up, that little 16" kick can sound pretty killer.

My philosophy when doing local gigs is that if I can't make it in one trip, than I don't need it!

Terry

mcbike

Silver Member
I have all my hardware, stickbag, percussion, and cables in a humes and berg enduro trap case.
my drums are in protechtor cases with a rolling bass drum case
my cymbals are in a protechtor rolling cymbal case with a retractable handle.

unlike alot of guys my drums spend alot of time in trailers with other gear so heavy duty hard cases are a must.

I have a rolling cart at the practice space but I can't take it on gigs because it's too big and there isn't enough room to take it.

it takes me 7 trips to get all my stuff in. I usually don't have to go far though. most places have loading docks, or I can illegally park for a minute.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I'm one of these idiots that sees a workout in everything, so I just lug my stuff around without wheeled cases or anything. Even my laptop bag is just that - a bag. No wheels or anything. It's either old school or extremely stupid, I haven't decided yet....

I guess whenever I get a kit like a DW or something else very nice and high dollar I'll have to reconsidter, or if common sense gets the best of me, then I'll invest in moving tools, cases, etc. I do however put my cymbals in a cymbal bag and separate the cymbals with my SP drum pads so they don't clang together. And they are useful for warming up before we play or sound check so I don't make too much noise....

Right now the kit I have is ok for what I'm doing and using it for, so a scratch here, a scratch there is accpetable. Sort of like battle scars or added "characteristic".

yamahaha

I'm one of these idiots that sees a workout in everything, so I just lug my stuff around without wheeled cases or anything. Even my laptop bag is just that - a bag. No wheels or anything. It's either old school or extremely stupid, I haven't decided yet....

I guess whenever I get a kit like a DW or something else very nice and high dollar I'll have to reconsidter, or if common sense gets the best of me, then I'll invest in moving tools, cases, etc. I do however put my cymbals in a cymbal bag and separate the cymbals with my SP drum pads so they don't clang together. And they are useful for warming up before we play or sound check so I don't make too much noise....

Right now the kit I have is ok for what I'm doing and using it for, so a scratch here, a scratch there is accpetable. Sort of like battle scars or added "characteristic".
I probably SHOULD be looking for a workout in everything! For me, it's more of an efficiency thing because I hate running back and forth to my car, especially if the load in point is far from the stage area. Setup and sound check is enough of an time investment for me!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have been using a combination of old foot lockers lined with foam to transport my drums. One has wheels, the larger one for the floor toms doesn't. I use a Tuxedo bag for my bass drum and a couple of cymbal bags, plus another footlocker for the hardware. I use a convertible handtruck/cart for moving the stuff whenever possible, but unfortunately in my experience there's always a staircase!

I'm sure if I go back to gigging fulltime I'm going to invest in some wheeled cases... and maybe a roadie!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I can't deal with heavy stand bags or cases. That's one reason why I have a small kit with light stands, and even then I split them up into a few bags. Wheels are great, but if the grounds is uneven or you have to lug up flights of stairs they don't help.

I was helping another drummer with the lug out the other week and I couldn't even get his soft hardware bag off the floor, let along carry it! This was just a basic 5-piece Peral kit with hats, two crashes and a ride.

Like Rogue, I see a workout in everything. Thankfully, so does our singer :)

Yamahaha, running back and forth isn't necessarily a waste of time - it's cheaper than gym membership :)

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i have a large protection racket wheeled bag for my stands and hardware. i used to put every piece of hardware in there, but it got so heavy that i could barely get it in and out of the car, so i got a smaller non-wheeled bag too. i now use both bags for my hardware. i pile the smaller bag on top of the large wheeled bag when i'm loading in and out. that's working pretty well and it's saving my back.

i have gator soft cases for my drums, which is fine for the local gigging i do.

mikeg

I have a mix of SKB and Anvil cases, and a Protection Racket cymbal bag. I also use a Rock-N-Roller cart to get my gear from the car to the stage.

I'm going to revive this thread, because I just hauled all my gear to a practice, so now I'm nursing a sore back while trying to find a good trap case. I have SKB cases for my drums and a good cymbal bag, but all the other gear I just have to ferry by hand. Takes forever and leaves interesting bruises.

If the OP is around, or anyone else knows: which SKB case is that in the first photos (the hardware case with straps)? I've seen their 'mid-sized' case, which is the perfect size for everything except the seat of my Roc'n'Soc, and has no straps ... and the next step up which is the TRPX-1, which has straps and everything and will hold my seat but otherwise is just too big for my needs. So I'm kind of stuck in-between.

Really don't want to carry that stuff again, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, now that the haze of pain has subsided a bit, I think that's just the TRPX-1. I guess I'll have to go with that one, or get a smaller seat for gigging ...

MrKodySka

My band gigs about 3-4 times a month so my set sees a lot of moving. That being said, I have no wheel carts or anything. I dont have a job or any real income yet so I dont have a lot of money to spend. I dont even have drum bags yet so I just load them up in the back of my Ford Expedition. (I'll get some soon to carry my new kit around.) I carry all of my hardware in an old zip up military C-bag that my uncle gave me and my cymbals get wrapped up in some towels and put in this big art bag I have and my pedals came with a carrying case Works perfect for me.

marko138

Silver Member
I carry my hardware in a hard golf club case. My drums are in Humes and Berg Enduro hard cases.

I don't use a hand truck. I make our guitar player help me carry stuff.

ddrumman2004

My hardware is transported in an SKB microphone stand case. It has straps on the inside and wheels on one end with a handle on the opposite end as well as in the middle. It's rugged enough that pulling it over hard, irregular surfaces is not a problem. But, hefting that loaded case up and into the back of my truck can be a real back breaker at the end of the night.

I carry my drums in soft cases and always....always....the band members help me load up at the end of a gig. In fact, we all pitch in to load up..and load out.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I use an SKB hard shell cymbal case (the 24" one with wheels)
Roadrunner soft bags (I try to keep it to a 4 piece [22,12,16, 14sn)
Roadrunner XL hardware bag with wheels (3 medium weight boom stands, hhstand, snare stand, throne stand [the seat comes off and fits in the bag], stick bag, towel
Single pedal hard case
Hand truck (the kind that converts to a rolling cart)

If I have to supply mics, then it's one more medium size square case that fits all the mics and the bass drum mic stand and high hat mic stand

That's it.

That's as little as I can bring.

As a photographer and a drummer, it's been a lifetime of hauling heavy gear.

I should have been a writer and a flute player. Hindsight is always 20/20

evilg99

Platinum Member
Wheels are a must, whether it's simply heavy hardware, or a trap case where lighter hardware + cymbals & pedal are included.

On local gigs where I handle my gear, I use an old school type Impact trapcase (with old Ludwig 1400 stands, pedal, cymbals & throne) and carry the drums in bags. It's two trips at the most, and one of my gigs is just kick/snare/hat, so it's one trip. I have a second set of hardware that's slightly heavier duty and includes additional tom stands, and that goes in an Impact trapcase and Impact upright stand case, also on wheels.

My cases are very light, and that's important too. Somebody makes a large, heavy-duty, well made molded trapcase with foldout cymbal section, that weighs probably 60lbs empty. Ridiculous for us old guys, and the kids.

I do like the Rock & Roller though, very practical!

Bermuda
Hey Bermuda, I think you're talking about the the SKB X2 trap case....you must be, it's the only one that has I fold out cymbal compartment. I used to have this case and have another on order.
It's heavy when fully loaded, but empty, it's 39.7 lbs. - that's from the website. While I agree, that's not uh....light, it is a very sturdy case. Do you know of any sturdy trap cases that are considerably lighter?
The primary use for this case will be as the catch-all to go with my Hipgig kit - small, light hardware, a few small cymbals, throne (top in the 'snare compartment' , bd pedal, mics, in-ear monitors, stick bag, towel, parts, etc etc. In other words - a two piece load in - and in one trip.
Best,
Neal