Transition from practice pad to kit

Has anyone ever had much trouble with moving from a practice pad to the kit in terms of feel? I can play a lot of stuff on the pad with no trouble, but when I try the same thing on the snare drum and tom-toms, the feel and sound is terrible. It feels like I'm playing on jelly, and the sound is uneven. Anyone else had this problem?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yep, Same problem with e-drums too. The feel is different.

The Pat Petrillo P4 pad isn't cheap but it has multiple surfaces, which would probably alleviate the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWkXHnkLbk

It's still miles from a drum set but, if you're stuck with noise and space issues it might help.

I use two different types of pads and hit different parts of them to give the feeling of a mini drum set, but there's still plenty of adjustment needed when I get on the kit.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I started on a kit, so I didn't have a transition to worry about, and when I use a practice pad it's most often with marching sticks for rudimental stuff. I would think that the difference in the rebound and feel depends on what pad you're using: gum rubber pads are good substitutes for drums, but if you're using one of this cheesy Remo ones you're kinda screwed.

The only way to get better at playing a drum is by playing the drum.

Arky

Platinum Member
(...) The only way to get better at playing a drum is by playing the drum.
IMO that's not the only way, but it's the _best_ way.
There's a lot one can do to get better without sitting at a real kit all the time. But anything practiced away from a kit is stuff which ultimately has to be utilized to the kit to get the full benefit.

The P4 pad has been mentioned... Compared to most other pads this one provides more playing fun and is more of a challenge as there's various playing zones and different rebound feel, simulating "getting around a kit" like never before (for a pad). I'm glad having it.

Last edited:

JohnW

Silver Member
Straight from the mouth of Alan Dawson to me:

"The pad is a supplement not a substitute for the drum"

That being said, I do a lot more pad practice since I primarily play pipe band snare now, especially in the off-competition season. There is a transition period but it's usually only one or two practices.

For drum set however, getting a touch on the ride symbol, pulling sound out of the floor tom, moving over the kit- yes, there is a bigger transition. But pad work is still important.

-John

The annoying thing is that even after 10 + years of playing both kit and pad, I still can't play the same way between the 2 - if my kit felt like the pad, I'd be an amazing player!

Pad quality wise, I played a Billy Hyde pad for many years, and have switched to a HQ Real Feel bad in the past few years.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Has anyone ever had much trouble with moving from a practice pad to the kit in terms of feel? I can play a lot of stuff on the pad with no trouble, but when I try the same thing on the snare drum and tom-toms, the feel and sound is terrible. It feels like I'm playing on jelly, and the sound is uneven. Anyone else had this problem?
sounds like you are making the age old error of relying on the surface

this is a technique issue

either get a pad with less rebound than the one you are using or just practice on the drum as much as you can

a few pads I can recommend

moongel pad
http://www.interstatemusic.com/33244-RTOM-Moongel-MGWP-Workout-Drum-Practice-Pad-14-And-quot--WP14.aspx?sku=PA026PAD14&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase

Prologix Blue Lightening
http://www.prologixpercussion.com/products.asp?CatID=13&ID=23

Ludwig P4
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/ludwig-p4-practice-pad/423312000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIHx2arBzK8CFUGo4AodXy-xaQ

Sabian Quiet Tone
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EEJGDO/ref=asc_df_B000EEJGDO1987722?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000EEJGDO&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=19998968491989419456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

TheCrimsonKing

sounds like you are making the age old error of relying on the surface

this is a technique issue
Exactly right, this is a valuable reply to your question OP. In theory, if your technique is sound you can play the same on literally any surface.

Jojo Mayer goes indepth with this concept in his, "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" DVD. Which I highly recommend purchasing.

mabhz

Hahahaah!! Thanks A LOT for letting me know I´m not the only one!!

I having problems playing the toms because they are too far away!! I constantly hit the rims instead of the heads on the left rack tom.... (shame on me)

I could talk for, like, zillion differences I perceive on the transition, but the rebound of the snare is one of the biggest differences.

And I use what people on this forum told me would be the more "realistic" practice pad I could purchase: the Real Feel from HQ, the smaller one with a "metal box" below, to reproduce the sound of a snare.

mabhz

I got one of these, but it has a black colored head. It came in a bundle with Jojo Mayers DVD, about 3 years ago. Is it really that good? Never used it because its too big, it requires a snare below it and it produces too much noise and feel like you are hitting a block of wood, not a snare head.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I got one of these, but it has a black colored head. It came in a bundle with Jojo Mayers DVD, about 3 years ago. Is it really that good? Never used it because its too big, it requires a snare below it and it produces too much noise and feel like you are hitting a block of wood, not a snare head.
I have the black one as well

yeah its a little loud but mine is not very hard

maybe detune the head a bit?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I having problems playing the toms because they are too far away!! I constantly hit the rims instead of the heads on the left rack tom.... (shame on me)
Lowering and changing the tilt on the first mounted tom should help with this.

mabhz

Lowering and changing the tilt on the first mounted tom should help with this.
Thanks! Im used to an eletronic kit (TD 6) where everything is close by. Im still adjusting to an acoustic kit, but i still feel unconfortable with it.

By the way: the Real Feel HQ pads are really the best ones???
Anyone have the same one as me, the one wth a "buzz box" on the back, to make it sound like snares, and gray rubber on top??

Arky

Platinum Member
Thanks! Im used to an eletronic kit (TD 6) where everything is close by. Im still adjusting to an acoustic kit, but i still feel unconfortable with it.
Don't forget it's up to you how close/distant you're setting the elements on your e-kit. I have a borrowed TD-9 (don't have a full real kit). At first I set everything quite close for easier playing, but this isn't doing any good if you want to get prepared for the a-kit. So I started to move things further away - still much closer than on an a-kit but a bit more realistic than before. Try to emulate the distances of an a-kit setup as closely as your e-kit allows.

(I still don't like meshheads... Don't get used to that boingy rebound feel, it's no benefit when playing on a real kit.)

Why? Who said so? They're great, but so are a few other pads, too. Different players prefer different pads. Your best option is trying as many of them as you can so you'll know exactly how they feel. Plus you always have the option to put something on top of them to reduce (or kill) rebound. The more you're working on your hands the less you'll depend on rebound.

Anyone have the same one as me, the one wth a "buzz box" on the back, to make it sound like snares, and gray rubber on top??
Yes, I have that "snare-y" one (my favourite pad, together with the Ludwig P4) and the bigger regular HQ pad also. I like them both (the bigger one is sitting permanently on my real snare, but usually I have a layer of cloth on top of it, to reduce the rebound a bit).

Are you going for more workout? Do try the Moongel pads, they have close to zero rebound (and are rather quiet - great for late evening practice). I have 2 Moongels to simulate toms, I'm putting them up next to my "snare" pad to practice transitions, but that's a weak substititute for playing on a real kit.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I wouldn't agree with this

althoughI do love the old ones with the white gum rubber ......not a fan of the gray surface

in my opinion there are many pads better than the HQ pads...which I believe have been taken over by Evans

Vater makes a nice 2 sided pad...I love the harder black side...feels great

Ahead makes a great 2 sided pad that is probably my favorite pad right now...the gray side is perfect....not too much rebound and feels awesome

Offworld makes a lot of great pads....the Invader is great but I love the Outlander...awesome pad

P4

Prologix red storm and blue lightening

Vic Firth stock and slim pad

I think all of these are better than the new Evans/HQ pads

but the old ones from before they went to the gray surface will rival any practice pad in my opinion

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I've been only about 2,5 years so far. This used to be an issue in the beginning, but these days it's no issue at all. You should be able to play comfortably on any surface.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've been only about 2,5 years so far. This used to be an issue in the beginning, but these days it's no issue at all. You should be able to play comfortably on any surface.
absolutely

and if you can't...you have a technique issue and are relying on a surface

a very common error