Training Wheels For Drum Sticks

Eleven

I have a pair, had a Guitar Center order them since they didn't have any in stock yet. I had issues with keeping proper grip with my left hand and it improved that.

Really improves your grip, and forces you to use your fingers. The only thing I didn't like was how the actual stick felt. It felt somewhat plastic-y in my hand, I don't know how else to describe it. I used Pro Marks, and currently Vater's and the Hinge Stix just have that sort of (plastic-y) feel to them in comparison to the sticks I play with. Other than that, for its intended use it's great.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think it is a cool idea for teaching proper grip. My question would be when do you stop using it before the hinge becomes part of the players grip? Also, a properly held stick will rotate in the hand, you can watch the label orbit around the stick as it is played. Will this stick promote a death grip on a non-hinged stick?

Eleven

I think it is a cool idea for teaching proper grip. My question would be when do you stop using it before the hinge becomes part of the players grip? Also, a properly held stick will rotate in the hand, you can watch the label orbit around the stick as it is played. Will this stick promote a death grip on a non-hinged stick?
I don't think it ever does become part of your grip, it just forces you to keep the proper grip and use your fingers. More or less, you just get used to it before switching to a standard stick when you're beginning drumming. While I didn't use these for too long, I often switched between the hinge-stix and a standard 5A. So I guess you could do that to develop the use of a standard stick, and to discourage death grip on a non-hinged stick.

FoolInTheRain

I've thought about getting a pair of these just for the heck of it.

I will probably hate them and toss 'em after 5 minutes.