Traditional or Matched???

DarbyWalters

Just started playing drums just over 1 year ago...mostly off YouTube. Did a couple of lessons at Drum Shop where they started me off Cross Stick. Went to another instructor and he asked me to try open handed. I settled on Open Handed and even tho right handed...found myself leading with my left at times. All done Matched Grip. Fast forward to 3 months ago...go back to drum store and ask for lessons from Jeff Ryder. I let him know I would like to learn Jazz. He knew I switched to Open and Hinted that I should practice Cross...but has let that slip by after a bit. But now, he is having me play Trad Grip instead of Matched. I love learning new stuff and my learning curve has skyrocketed IMO. I have been practicing both Trad and Open and feel more comfortable Open. Don't get me wrong, learning Trad has been fun but I don't see any huge advantages over Matched...

Thoughts???

DarbyWalters

Re: Traditional or Mateched???

just found a post that pretty much gives both sides...think I will learn both for kicks but use Matched 99% of the time...

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member

Yeah, if you do a search on the word "traditional" you will find more information than you ever wanted to know.

Last edited:

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

There is a sound that's pretty much impossible to duplicate with matched. Just the differences in how the stick is applied to the head will give you a different sound... Probably why that jazz teacher didn't want to get you too into open playing.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member

There is alot of comparisons online.

I did my stint in jazz band and had no issues playing matched. Ask a trad guy and they will insist it's the best way to play lol. There is no right or wrong way is what I'm saying.

If you look at the history people started playing trad because of marching and having the drum slung over your shoulder that was how you would learn how to play drums, now move to a kit you have to play traditional grip (the only style at the time)

I will say that it looks much cooler, but if someone has dedicated a bunch of time to learning one way I would never try and make them start over. Learning both is an idea, but your kindof spinning your wheels learning everything twice considering how many hours/years it takes to become good at the drums.

Open handed is good if you find it comfortable. ESPECIALLY for a left handed person. If you ever share gear, playing open handed left on a right handed kit is a dream. Once again it goes down to what feels right.

mikyok

Platinum Member

The honest answer is whatever is comfortable for you.

I'm matched I play right handed but I'm naturally left handed, been trying to get my left hand to hold the stick traditionally is impossible but my right hand can.

As long as your technique is good and you're not hurting yourself play what comes naturally.

tcspears

Gold Member

That has been discussed A TON here, just search through the forums...

It's all personal preference. There are plenty of jazz and classical guys playing matched, while rock/pop people can play traditional.

Those of us who prefer one grip over the other, can tell you what we perceive as pros and cons, but when you look through the other threads, you'll see that a lot of that information contradicts each other. The truth is that you should play whichever grip that you are comfortable with.

KamaK

Platinum Member

It's less a question of "matched vs traditional" and more a question of which grip you choose to learn first.

Learn the form that is most prevalent amongst the drummers that you wish to emulate first, then learn the other.

Mongrel

Silver Member

Left-handed, playing a right-handed kit and I use matched, traditional, open and cross, depending on the material....and the mood I am in.

In short-use whatever it takes to get you there...

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member

It is the oldest lenghtiset most meaningless discusion in the book that forums flow over with.

What you do is use what works best for you at any given situation.

I do all sorts of things but play traditional most of the time om kit and snare.

I can't fully defend my choice from a sound technical standpoint, neither should I have to. It certainly has to do with a lot of my heroes, local players I grew up watching and the music that was played with that grip, but it also feels like home and a sort of cozy feeling getting closer with the hats when playing a groove.

Traditional has a natural option where you can tilt the stick for jazz comping, that's one plus.

On the negative side, traditional certainly takes more work and there quite a learning curve if you want to play modern loud sound with control without hurting yourself.

From standpoint of pure technique, condition, eveness and so on matched is the better choice.

There's also an emotional creative side to it too though and many, including me, find the concept of different motions to be more creatively stimulating.

Because of tradition and passing on through generations of teachers it's not long ago that traditional was considered the only "right" way, you may still find some old teachers like that, but it makes no sense.

If you're a beginner I'd choose one and get really good at that. You may then play around with the other a bit, but there are so many other things to spend your time on.

Cappa

I am newer to drumming as well, but I practice both grips, switching out one hand at a time as well. For me, the important part is that my hits sound consistent between whichever hand I'm using. If one hand is weaker, I work on that hand.

F

funkutron

I was self taught until I was about 13 or 14, then I got lessons. I started playing matched grip, but once I became proficient at traditional, I preferred that, because it tends to "equalize" the weaker hand in my opinion, it's easier for ME, not everybody, to do rudiments that way. But If I'm cross sticking the snare, and then going into a full snare hit, like in Sweet Home Alabama, I'll just stay in matched grip, because I'm not one who can "twirl" my sticks, I'd probably either drop one or both of them, or put my eye out! LOL! But what I've found with the practice pad, is that if I play my warm up rudiments, (two paradiddle-diddles followed by a single paradiddle, then it goes to the opposite hand, etc.) and then switch to matched grip and do it, it not only strengthens my matched grip, but then when I go back to traditional, it's so much stronger and easier. So I "use" matched grip to beef up my traditional grip!

Morrisman

Platinum Member

I've been wondering lately if trad grip suits the weaker hand because the nerves and muscles are different from the dominant hand.

So instead of treating both hands as if they're equal, perhaps they're not equal at all.

Having said that, I deliberately play matched grip...

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member

I've been wondering lately if trad grip suits the weaker hand because the nerves and muscles are different from the dominant hand.

So instead of treating both hands as if they're equal, perhaps they're not equal at all.

Having said that, I deliberately play matched grip...
I don't think so.. It may give you an excuse why your left hand would be quieter. but either way peoples left hand is weaker because the right hand is used more.

try a week of brushing your teeth, opening doors, holding your phone, writing, turning on lights, etc with your left.. It's tougher than it sounds. The ride/hats are usually much faster and develops the right. same with accents.

This has to be taught to the left hand no matter what grip you use.

I'd say if your planning on playing modern music with loud volumes learn matched.. It really does make more sense.. If you like the look of trad, and are into jazz and want to go route, that is fine also.

There is no right and wrong, I'd stick with one for a long time though. It takes years to master either one. Why split your progress in half to be half decent at both rather than great at one.

8Mile

Platinum Member

It takes everything I've got to post on a grip thread, but I like that you posed this so I'll go against my better judgment and comment only on this specific thing. Because I've wondered about it, too. The idea that trying to achieve symmetry between right and left is actually harder than just taking two separate routes entirely. I have no scientific basis to believe this is true, but you've articulated a thought that has crossed my mind.

drummer-russ

Gold Member

There is enough evidence of fantastic players using each of the grips so I don't think it is true to say one is definitively superior. For me I learned traditional first and play it 95% of the time. The fact that the left hand plays some intricate ghost notes with more diverse dynamics more often than the right hand justifies a different grip, for me at least. If I have to play a very straight forward back beat and especially with rim clicks I will use matched. (For some reason I am a little clumsy flipping the stick for rim clicks with traditional.)

To me some proficiency in both offers an advantage but I would never recommend anyone try to put in enough time to be equally good at both. To me that means too much practice time for little to no gain.

F

funkutron

I don't think so.. It may give you an excuse why your left hand would be quieter. but either way peoples left hand is weaker because the right hand is used more.

try a week of brushing your teeth, opening doors, holding your phone, writing, turning on lights, etc with your left.. It's tougher than it sounds. The ride/hats are usually much faster and develops the right. same with accents.

This has to be taught to the left hand no matter what grip you use.

I'd say if your planning on playing modern music with loud volumes learn matched.. It really does make more sense.. If you like the look of trad, and are into jazz and want to go route, that is fine also.

There is no right and wrong, I'd stick with one for a long time though. It takes years to master either one. Why split your progress in half to be half decent at both rather than great at one.
I think the traditional grip was actually developed back in the days when most drummers were marching with armies! The drum would hang off the shoulder with the Players left side higher than the right side, so the grip was developed so the angle of attack on the left hand would be higher, otherwise the left elbow would have to be raised which would be uncomfortable! The finger control and all that stuff came later!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member

I think the traditional grip was actually developed back in the days when most drummers were marching with armies! The drum would hang off the shoulder with the Players left side higher than the right side, so the grip was developed so the angle of attack on the left hand would be higher, otherwise the left elbow would have to be raised which would be uncomfortable! The finger control and all that stuff came later!
You are 100% correct

So when a guy spent years learning this technique he would transfer it to the kit rather than learn matched.. In this day and age people will argue they can be more dynamic etc playing trad, but personally I disagree. I can see very dynamic drummers play matched.

I see a practical reason to play trad with a marching snare on your shoulder, but the new marching snares are much flatter now even. For a new drummer other than it looking cool I don't see much benefit if they plan on playing drumset their whole life.

But as with anything. It is still a valid technique and there are no rules in drumming.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

My goal was to have equal facility and equal tone with either hand and from a scientific or logic POV, matched was the only viable solution for me. I can't match my strong hand touch, tone and facility with trad grip so I dropped it completely in my late teens.

Everyone is different and has a different background, so follow your heart and don't worry about what anyone says. That's what I love about drums. You make rules up that works for YOU.

It's the closest thing to pure freedom that I've come across.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member

Many older kit players originally taught traditional have gone to matched. Chapin and Famularo of the well known teachers, but many others I know arond here, too.

Weckl said he just stuck with trad as that was what he knew.

Sucherman seems to get plenty of power from trad.

Vinnie is the one who seems to do about 50/50 now and though he's gone back an forth over the years, the matched now is from shoulder pain. When he goes back into the old solo vocabulary he plays trad, though.

Jojo plays trad mostly and he says it's also a creativity thing.

I play trad for several reasons, but I try to play a bit matched. I also play matched when teaching unless I'm behind the kit.