Touring

RyanL

Hey all!
In about a month I'm going to depart for approx. 2 weeks with my band for a tour in the northeastern region of the states. Besides doing a few out of state shows/2-3 day "minitours," I have little experience with touring. I'm looking for some necessities to bring with me and any advice from those who have toured before. So far I know to stack up on drumsticks and make sure not to lose anything but I'm sure there is much to know!

tbmills

Gold Member
as far as the kit goes make sure to take extra...
sticks
heads
felts
cymbal sleeves
snare cord
any and all parts that could break...

bojangleman

Platinum Member
as far as the kit goes make sure to take extra...
sticks
heads
felts
cymbal sleeves
snare cord
any and all parts that could break...
yeah...thats soo true..

one of the bands we play with alot that is on tour right now, their drummer showed up, and his reso side on his bass had been completely shattered..he ended up using my bass..but, sometimes, you wont be that lucky..

Alex

dkerwood

Silver Member
Be sure to bring lots of bottles of water. When I'm out on the road, my vaporizer is my best friend, although if you don't sing, it might not be as important. Also some vitamin tablets might be wise.

Try to get enough sleep. I know it's tough, but your body will start to shut down if you push yourself too hard.

Above all, have fun! I miss hitting the road for a few days.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Make a list, and start now so you can think about everything you'll need for the length of time you're gone. Add every stupid little thing to the list, no matter how obvious it may seem (because that's exactly the item you'll forget!) Toothbrush, floss, cell phone charger, socks, postage stamps, spare cymbal felts... everything. When it's time to start packing, print the list and cross things off as you pack them. It's foolproof.

I've been doing that for about15 years, and I even have separate lists for foreign travel, short trips, and I've also devolved the tourlist into my vacation packlist which includes information like boarding the dogs, stopping the newspapers, letting neighbors and relatives klnow where we're going, etc.

Bermuda

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
Make a list, and start now so you can think about everything you'll need for the length of time you're gone. Add every stupid little thing to the list, no matter how obvious it may seem (because that's exactly the item you'll forget!) Toothbrush, floss, cell phone charger, socks, postage stamps, spare cymbal felts... everything. When it's time to start packing, print the list and cross things off as you pack them. It's foolproof.

Bermuda
The list is key and putting time into the list is most important. As long as you've had sufficient time to figure out what you'll need and come back to it later in case you've missed anything, you can't go wrong. Cross out as you go and voila!! And like Bermuda said the obvious things REALLY count. I don't think I'm the only one who's traveled then realized they forgot socks.

veggo32

Silver Member
If its your first time then just wing it. Whatever you screw up this time you'll learn for next time. LOL

No, but seriously bring extra underwear. And I mean long underwear a hat and/or a hood and a heavy coat, sweaters, gloves, boots, if your not comfortable you'll feel like crap and possible catch a cold. that could ruin your whole trip.
Northeast you say brrrrrr! I live in Toronto and its friggin' freezing right now.

Construct

I've been doing that for about15 years, and I even have separate lists for foreign travel, short trips, and I've also devolved the tourlist into my vacation packlist which includes information like boarding the dogs, stopping the newspapers, letting neighbors and relatives klnow where we're going, etc.

Bermuda
Also, perhaps a laptop?

bermuda

Staff member
Also, perhaps a laptop?
Of course a laptop goes on the list, don't forget a cat5 cable, headphones, DVD backup of important files (keep a copy at home, too) and I also bring a separate mouse and keyboard. It's a fairly long list... but very necessary so I don't get stuck or have to re-buy something on the road that I already had at home. Seriously, everything from Q-tips and nail clippers to reading glasses, pens & Sharpies, swimsuit (even if it's not summer, you never know where there's a hot tub!) etc etc.

There is no such thing as a too-complete list. I keep it updated as well, as items tend to change over time. When I began taking prescription medication, that got added to the list.

Bermuda

jer

Silver Member
Duct Tape!

If you can, an extra boom stand can be helpful. Extra beater and kick pedal spring. Rug for under the kit (can't always count on stage carpet to be be up to snuf - or existant).

Make a binder of hard copies of all maps, directions, contacts, venue #'s. Include things like music shops and motels/hotels in the area. Print out any emails relevant to each booking - depending on if you made contracts with venues (which if you did, bring hard copies of these), this can save you in the event of a disagreement with anyone regarding pay, rider, booze, lodging etc...

Don't forget your merch! (in durable water tight containers).

Somehow mark ALL of you gear to make it obvious that it's yours. Even masking tape with you band name will do in a pinch, or band stickers.

Always remember... if you feel like crap before a show, low energy, tired, hungry etc... a couple beers help a tonne to get you back in the mood! (even if it's only for your set, you can crash afterwards...).

Pillows and blankets, some emergency type food doesn't hurt (granola bars, etc...)

Also, bring a can (or 2) of the "tire fixer in a can" stuff. It's no fun changing a tire on the side of a highway in the middle of a snow storm. Although not a replacement for a plug or new tire, it can at least get you to the next town where you can get it fixed properly.

Have fun!

bermuda

Staff member
Make a binder of hard copies of all maps, directions, contacts, venue #'s.
Along those lines, I bring a list of my monthly bills, payment mailing addresses, due dates, and a check book, so I don't miss payments on bills that I won't see while I'm away (I still haven't managed to convince my wife to pay my bills, so I have to stay on it myself!) I also print a half-sheet page to mail with the payment, where I enter the acct # and explain that I cannot enclose the return portion of the bill. I check the balance with a phone call, so I'm always current.

Bermuda

Construct

Along those lines, I bring a list of my monthly bills, payment mailing addresses, due dates, and a check book, so I don't miss payments on bills that I won't see while I'm away (I still haven't managed to convince my wife to pay my bills, so I have to stay on it myself!) I also print a half-sheet page to mail with the payment, where I enter the acct # and explain that I cannot enclose the return portion of the bill. I check the balance with a phone call, so I'm always current.

Bermuda
Do you pay bills online at all? I always wondered this, and what would you use for like, wireless intrawebz? These small things I do ponder...

Garvin

Pioneer Member
Less is more bro. Just bring a pair of sticks and your cymbals and then act like you thought there would be a kit everywhere you show up. I 'm sure someone can find one for you. Oh, and an empty suitcase for souveniers...

bermuda

Staff member
Do you pay bills online at all? I always wondered this, and what would you use for like, wireless intrawebz? These small things I do ponder...

I pay a few online, some are direct debit, and some I prefer to write the check. I also have a list of debts and due dates, in a grid sorted by due day and month, so I can line-through them as they're paid and have an at-a-glance summary of where my payments are at for the month.

Basically, an extra piece of paper here and there helps keep everything at my fingertips without having to make additional calls or go online to check payment status.

The fun part is getting home after a few months and seeing a stack of mail I don't have to panic about.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
Oh, and an empty suitcase for souveniers...
I bring an empty case as well, and a sports/laundry bag to transport dirty clothes, so I can keep suitcase space for valuables.

I've also got a plastic architect's tube so I can roll-up gig posters and transport them safely home to my scrapbook.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
We have 2 coaches (tour busses) and a semi with the gear, lights & sound. Sometimes we also have another truck with merch.

Bermuda