Toontrack Metalheadz

toddy

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure there's a way to have more control over the cymbal routing, I'll get back to you once I remember it!

Yeah I agree, I leave the snare/toms in the OH, but take the kick out. the kick is seperate from everything (even room mics). I love the chamber mic, that thing is great for snare reverb!

spides666

One problem I seem to have is the panning of the cymbals............they seem too central for me in the mix and I can't seem to seperate them...........I also took the kick out of the O/H mics and it made it sound a lot better, and the same with the Toms.

But the snare sounds rubbish taken out of the OH's.........having the snare through the OH's sounds awesome............but too hard to edit mistakes ha ha

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah indeed. so much easier. I would record using mics, but I don't have a room that sounds good enough to do so. shame, because I already have all the mics that I need haha.
also much quieter at the end of the day!

spides666

I use Pro tools 8.0 LE on an i7 iMac........

I have recorded just drums for people and they were pretty blown away by the quality and assumed I had all these mics everywhere and a valve mixing desk........ when they came to my place and it's just me in a Garage hooked up to a little MBOX via MIDI ha ha........

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah that's true. I think it also depends how you have your triggers setup, to get good velocities for piano to forte. what program are you using to record? I'm using reaper.
I record a lot of metal & drum and bass stuff so for me SD 2 is pretty don. I like some of the nashville kits for more poppy type stuff too.

spides666

I prefered the kicks and snares in DFH personally but better toms and cymbals in Metal foundry......

I was at first really in love with a ll of this recording but it really depends on the music I'm recording.........if I do fast stuff too me it sounds too programmed........straight rock etc it sounds awesome

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah kind of weirded me out seeing that it was an EZX kit. I don't have DFH, I did try it some time ago though. I've tweaked the drum sounds in metal foundry to the point where they don't really sound like the original drum sounds anymore haha.

spides666

I have found I prefer to mix the two, I use Metal Foundry for the majority but prefer the kick from Drumkits from Hell etc more of a thud for me etc

Surprised they did this through EZ drummer though and not SD...

Doesn't appear to have as good a mixer as Metal Foundry etc

toddy

Platinum Member
Will download it for free at some stage (guessing it will be up within a few days), can't say I really require it as metal foundry has more than enough sounds for me to use for metal recording. midi would be nice for non drummers I suppose. Maybe the kick/snares. Other than that I'm more than happy with my other packs.

C&V, foundry, nashville, etc.