Took my grade 6

F

Fishgopop007

So yeah, as the thread suggests i took my grade 6 yesterday, just thought i'd let you guys know how it went and explain the concept of the grades a bit more as it hasn't really been covered much (i think?).

So the syllabus i use is a syllabus called Trinity Guildhall, not only do they host drum kit examinations, they also do examinations in percussion and some others i believe. They are similar to the Rock School grades, however they focus slightly more on building up a range of styles, using your ears, techniques, rudiments, and incorporating all these into 3 set pieces.

So i took my grade 6 yesterday around noon, now admittedly i lost faith in myself doing this grade and just started to hate practicing it, but i switched mindset and got back on it. So friday night i had a drum lesson, 1/3 pieces properly nailed, 2/3 pieces need some work on bar transitions and fills etc. When it came to the exam i played note for note perfect, i was so happy with the result i went and celebrated with coffee :p

Yeah, so thats my story of the day of grading, I also laid down a deposit on a new 17" k custom dark crash :)

Many thanks for reading, George.

F

Fishgopop007

Now you see, i have to think of where i want to go next, which is uni. So I'm onto grade 8 next.

gjg1986

Congrats. Which pieces did you play? I've actually been tinkering around with the grade 6 syllabus at the moment. The rudimental study is pretty straightforward but the rest is pretty tough.

The playalongs are good fun to practice to, I really struggle with the solo on that Hi Time one. What the dickens do you play through that section?

The solo pieces are tough and boring as hell to practice. I was working on that 'max' one the other day. There's nothing more boring than trying to read a note for note transcription of something that's supposed to played in a virtuoso style.

F

Fishgopop007

Congrats. Which pieces did you play? I've actually been tinkering around with the grade 6 syllabus at the moment. The rudimental study is pretty straightforward but the rest is pretty tough.

The playalongs are good fun to practice to, I really struggle with the solo on that Hi Time one. What the dickens do you play through that section?

The solo pieces are tough and boring as hell to practice. I was working on that 'max' one the other day. There's nothing more boring than trying to read a note for note transcription of something that's supposed to played in a virtuoso style.
On the solo i just kept alternative feet running throughout, and played in a triplet style solo, with a roll building up on the 2 beats before hand. Obviously including rests and a couple of different rudiments for good effect.

I did Paragroover, Hi-Time and Very Metal. I was studying Max, however with 3 weeks to go i realised it was just going over my head, so i took Very Metal up instead and aced it.

The thing with trinity guildhall is, they ask for it to be played in a certain way, but they will accept any alterations on the written piece, so long as it can be justified. For instance on Hi Time i changed 2 of the rhythms, because they just didn't work with the backing track.