Too smart for my friends?

SSDrumming

Honestly, I feel like I understand music so much better than my friends, it's hard to talk to them. I know music because I was raised around music. I'm constantly watching drummers on youtube like Gavin Harrison, Benny Greb, Mike Johnston, Thomas Lang, and I emulate all of them and take in everything they have to teach. I can talk about music a thousand times better than everybody else and when I try to talk music to anybody, I feel like everything I say goes over their head. Does anybody else have this problem?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I would say practice humility and maybe use that as an opportunity to help teach them more about music if you feel that you are on a higher level of understanding when it comes to music then they are. The key is do they want to know more? Maybe they know more than you think, if you are coming off with the "I know more than all of you about music" then maybe they are just shutting down and not interested in talking about music with you. I'm sure they have something they can add to the conversation that maybe you don't know.

M

Mike_In_KC

You need to meet Mr. Gil Gilbert. I encourage you to use the search feature of the forum to find his posts. I would look them up and link them but whenever I come across his posts it is such an emotional adventure for me that it takes all of my energy, and I need energy. I am carrying telephone posts across the yukon later this afternoon. It is a Gil Gilbert exercise. I will eventually construct a single pair of sticks from each pole - under Gil's supervision.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Sadly it's not just your friends.

I could barely comprehend your post.

Do you have a question regarding endorsement deals?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've been in bands with brilliant people who knew how to form complex chords and harmonies. But rhythmically didn't know an 8th note from a 16th note.

I agree, learn humility, and that it takes all kinds. There will always be people out there who know more about something than you do.

wildbill

Platinum Member
You need to meet Mr. Gil Gilbert. I encourage you to use the search feature of the forum to find his posts....

Had to see it, so I typed Gil Gilbert in the search box, and got this result:

" Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator "

Too bad - I was looking for a laugh.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Does anybody else have this problem?
Can I suggest that being "too smart for your friends" may well be the least of your concerns?

Honestly with that attitude, you'd wanna be Gavin Harrison, Benny Greb, Mike Johnston or Thomas Lang, I reckon.

Too bad - I was looking for a laugh.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116882&page=2

Gil and this new bloke really need to get their heads together. We could throw DrummingApril into the mix too and then all sit back and watch three giant egos run rampant til they collectively supernova'd under the sheer weight of their own awesomeness

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I know the problem, being a self-proclaimed genius and all. People seem to like me better when I act dumber than I actually am. Little do they know, I'm not as dumb as I look.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Honestly, I feel like I understand music so much better than my friends, it's hard to talk to them.
In my formative years, I became so proficient at playing guitar that I came to the conclusion that everything I knew was wrong, and that I really know nothing about music. Getting my left hand to memorize scales was about as useful as remembering the N'th decimal digit of Pi. I learned not to sweat it and took up drums so I could watch the hotties dance.

Playing and performing is a lot more fun now.

JimFiore

Silver Member
Getting my left hand to memorize scales was about as useful as remembering the N'th decimal digit of Pi.
Really? I say that because I know a whole bunch of decimal values to 3 or more digits and use them daily at work. Stuff like pi, 2pi, 1/pi, square root of 2, 1/(sqrt 2), integer powers of 2, etc.

Quite honestly, I don't understand how people can go to the grocery store and make sense of anything without knowing algebra. Heck, do you know how many times I discover that the larger size isn't cheaper per unit and that the store's unit pricing values are wrong? Well, I don't know either, but it's a lot, that much I can tell you.

And speaking of grocery stores and music, I've found scales to be very useful in both places, although I've never been able to purchase a melody by the pound. Melons, yes, but melodies, no.

In closing just let me say that I like numbers. Numbers are our friends. Don't be disrespecting our numbers. If something happens to 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 or 13, you don't want to be the prime suspect.

MileHighDrummer

What if they talk to you about something that you don't care about? Does that make you dumber, or dumber than they? Complex math or maybe physics? Read your first response and I do concur. Remember that most people, even us drummers, have other lives and not everyone shares your passion. It's great to have a passion but maybe meet folks at a drum line or percussion studio and have it for hours. Oh, and welcome to the group. Nope. I've never had that problem.

lsits

Gold Member
To the OP: Perhaps your friends couldn't be bothered about music theory, song structure, triads, and chord progressions. Most people who listen to music only care if they like the song or not. Kind of like me concerning my truck. I'm only interested in reliable transportation, not compression ratios and torque specifications.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Historical and Systematic musicologist know a lot about music and the science of music. Some really "smart" folks. Most likely don't play an instrument and some likely can't read music. You need to be more specific in what you mean by you know a lot about music?